DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A neighbor tried to shoot down my Mavic

gajep71

Reactions
I hope I'm in the right place. I live on a 10 acre lake out in the country. There are a few others who share the lake. This evening I was flying my Mavic around the lake, just playing, I had left a filter on my lense by accident so you couldn't even see through the cam so it was a total LOS flight. I was legal, I never left the lake and never flew over anyone's house. I heard someone yelling then saw three gun blasts shoot off into the air. After the shots someone started screaming get that thing away from my house and then many more colorful words. I'm curious to hear how others would handle this. I made a report but chose to not have the deputies contact the guy in an attempt to not start a huge neighbor war. I have flown over my lake for years without problems.

I hope I'm in the right place. I live on a 10 acre lake out in the country. There are a few others who share the lake. This evening I was flying my Mavic around the lake, just playing, I had left a filter on my lense by accident so you couldn't even see through the cam so it was a total LOS flight. I was legal, I never left the lake and never flew over anyone's house. I heard someone yelling then saw three gun blasts shoot off into the air. After the shots someone started screaming get that f'n thing away from my house and then many more colorful words. I'm curious to hear how others would handle this. I made a report but chose to not have the deputies contact the guy in an attempt to not start a huge neighbor war. I have flown over my lake for years without problems.

He's discharging firearms towards aircraft. I would have had the police contact the guy and let him know intentional destruction of aircraft is a federal crime.

I hope I'm in the right place. I live on a 10 acre lake out in the country. There are a few others who share the lake. This evening I was flying my Mavic around the lake, just playing, I had left a filter on my lense by accident so you couldn't even see through the cam so it was a total LOS flight. I was legal, I never left the lake and never flew over anyone's house. I heard someone yelling then saw three gun blasts shoot off into the air. After the shots someone started screaming get that thing away from my house and then many more colorful words. I'm curious to hear how others would handle this. I made a report but chose to not have the deputies contact the guy in an attempt to not start a huge neighbor war. I have flown over my lake for years without problems.
That was scary. Hearing gun shots. Be safe and still enjoy flying

Reactions: Peterson
I made a report but chose to not have the deputies contact the guy in an attempt to not start a huge neighbor war.

Couldn't they just say they had a report of shots fired, whereupon he says, "There was a drone," and they tell him it's not legal to shoot down aircraft, manned or otherwise?

Without contact, this guy thinks that's OK to do. And it is not OK.

Let's complicate this a little bit. Part of my decision to not have the deputy make contact with the neighbor was that the deputy obviously had no clue what the laws are, he had no idea that a homeowner doesn't control their airspace above their property, he had no idea that a UAV was considered aircraft, and had no idea I could prove through GPS that I never came close to this guy's property. Does anyone keep some basic info on them regarding the laws and regs so they can do a little on the spot education in cases like this?

Does anyone keep some basic info on them regarding the laws and regs so they can do a little on the spot education in cases like this?

Honestly, in your shoes, I'd be calling the FAA to report the incident. It's certainly within their jurisdiction.

Last edited:
This isn't uncommon. Reach out to you local FSDO and ask them to send a FAASTeam Drone Pro out to help educate the local police. Or they can have one of their ASIs do it if the don't have any Drone Pros.

One of the "jobs" of Drone Pros is to help educate both pilots and people who work for cities. I've done both here in Colorado.

When we are part of a conversation with others while we're out flying, there is an extremely likely chance that we are the most educated person in that conversation. And we should be.

You do still have a complete flight record on your device. With air data you can even have a map overlay of your exact flight. No camera necessary. All the proof you would need, if you needed.

Reactions: Peterson and Gindra
Let's complicate this a little bit. Part of my decision to not have the deputy make contact with the neighbor was that the deputy obviously had no clue what the laws are, he had no idea that a homeowner doesn't control their airspace above their property, he had no idea that a UAV was considered aircraft, and had no idea I could prove through GPS that I never came close to this guy's property. Does anyone keep some basic info on them regarding the laws and regs so they can do a little on the spot education in cases like this?

Even if the deputy didn't know any of that, I'm pretty sure the deputy knows the neighbor isn't legally allowed to use a firearm to destroy property that doesn't belong to him. If you parked your car on his land, that wouldn't have given him the right to shoot it either. (absent a actual self defense situation)

Last edited:
Even if the deputy didn't know any of that, I'm pretty sure the deputy knows the neighbor isn't legally allowed to use a firearm to destroy property that doesn't belong to him.

I wouldn't bet on it. There are mall Santas with more training than deputy sheriffs in some jurisdictions.

There's no explaining a drone is a crappy spy device to anyone who thinks they are. Sadly I had a similar response from a neighbor. No guns, but threats to shoot it were made. I just keep it away from his house now.

You have one problem, it will be your word against his. Unless he confesses to shooting at your drone the police can't do a thing. Now if your drone had been hit and or you had a video or pictures of him shooting at you then the DA might prosecute him. Since it is a felony, if convicted he would lose his rights to own firearms.

This would have been a golden opportunity for you to politely offer the FAA information to the sheriff. Also what has your previous encounters with the neighbor been? Have you a pleasant history with the person or have they been jerks in the past ? If pleasant take the opportunity to explain to them the regs. If they have been jerks, oh well, sic the big guns on them

This would have been a golden opportunity for you to politely offer the FAA information to the sheriff. Also what has your previous encounters with the neighbor been? Have you a pleasant history with the person or have they been jerks in the past ? If pleasant take the opportunity to explain to them the regs. If they have been jerks, oh well, sic the big guns on them
I did offer information to the deputy but I got the feeling he just didn't get it or just wasn't sure whether or not what I was saying was fact. As far as the neighbor goes he lives at the opposite corner of a 10+ acre lake so I have never had any interaction with him. They never use the lake and you never see them outside. He had just finished mowing his lawn which is probably the only reason he was outside. If I flew ten minutes later it may have never happened. I have flown this lake regularly and other neighbors have enjoyed watching it and come over to ask the usual million questions. None of the neighbors I am closer to and do interact with have ever had an issue. Like I said, I stay over the private lake that ten of us jointly own and have access to.

I would take Vic's advice A neighbor tried to shoot down my Mavic and contact your FSDO ASAP! The more informed people we have out there the better for all of us.

Keep in mind that unless there is an actual incident the FAA isn't going to do anything in terms of shooting at your UAS. Hopefully you can get a FASSTEAM Drone Pro out there ASAP to help educate. It's what we do.

Allen

Brand new in my neighborhood (just a week) fresh out of my RV traveling the country flying all over, I put my zoom in the air just 30 meters over my home testing out the new update and making some camera changes etc when a neighbor yelled out he is going to shoot it down and even sent his wife over to ask me what I was doing which I politely explained as well as ensured her I knew the rules none of which I was breaking and after, she casually walked back over and shared the news with him. This guy always said hello and always had a big smile prior to this but now he barely looks at me......honestly I am wanting to put it back up again just to assert my right to do so and I will!!!

WDK

Brand new in my neighborhood (just a week) fresh out of my RV traveling the country flying all over, I put my zoom in the air just 30 meters over my home testing out the new update and making some camera changes etc when a neighbor yelled out he is going to shoot it down and even sent his wife over to ask me what I was doing which I politely explained as well as ensured her I knew the rules none of which I was breaking and after, she casually walked back over and shared the news with him. This guy always said hello and always had a big smile prior to this but now he barely looks at me......honestly I am wanting to put it back up again just to assert my right to do so and I will!!!

WDK
Pick your battles wisely. Sometimes it's better to play nice then have drama in your neighborhood.

Reactions: Thomas B
Pick your battles wisely. Sometimes it's better to play nice then have drama in your neighborhood.

Good advice.....as a full time RV’er, for the last 5 years, I could always leave and knowing that, I was not so inclined to conform to BS. Having already been threatened that he would shoot my drone down and the subsequent cold shoulder, I feel like the damage has already been done because while he might be by neighbor four doors down, I can no longer welcome him as a friend. Other neighbors have expressed their desire to learn and at least one so far has a drone still in the box wanting to be taught the ropes.

For now, I will test and fly elsewhere.

WDK

You want my advice, go talk to him.

He might not like you or it but at least get legality squared away then move on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe