DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A nice free app for staying out of trouble. And we don't want trouble with airspace violations.

TS_Thomas02

Reactions
I'm going to make a plug here for the free 'FltPlan Go' app. I've used it for several months (on iOS) and it's handy to see if you're in the clear or maybe somewhere inside of class C or D airspace. It's for iOS, Android and Windows.

I fly part 121 for an airline and I also own a Mini and an Air-2. We landed in Ft Myers today and a SWA 737 landing behind us, was checking in with the tower, reports not ONE, but TWO drones SE of the final approach course. Tower then proceeded to take down whatever info he could give. He estimated their altitude as 500', but of course we know it *could* have been 400' since it's an estimate. Was he outside the 5 mile radius of the class C, or just a bit inside? Nobody can be sure. If he spotted them, I'd say they were probably pretty close. After shutting down at the gate, I checked my DJI app and yes, there's the usual prohibited zone around the airport, with ceiling limitations depicted in grey along the approach corridor to runway 23. I'm not sure what dimensions DJI uses for those. It sounds to me, and the way it appears on the DJI Fly app, as if one could possibly be flying in an area where the app allows unrestricted flight, but still be within Class C around KRSW. Their airspace starts at the surface and contains everything out a 5 mile radius. DJI themselves will tell you, do not use them and their app to determine your legality!

So here's the deal. If we used an app like this FltPlan Go, assuming you're in the USA, one could see a nice little dot on a Sectional Chart to make a very good assessment as to how clear one is from that controlled airspace. Obviously, your drone's position is something you're going to have to ascertain for your self. And if done with proper care, we would avoid some of these cringe-worthy moments of hearing about drones making incursions into controlled airspace. This is approximately my second time in a month hearing of this and something like the 3rd time in 6 months. So, at least to me, it sounds like an increasing problem.

Also,.....if you have a mobile connection, these websites might help too: (although most on this forum are probably savy enough to know about them already.)

Spread the word when you can on this since the offenders probably aren't on a forum like this.

Cheers,
Tom

Prople doing these things don’t care.

BTW... did I understand you to say that another jet pilot on approach (visually) saw the drones?

Reactions: dawgpilot
You are allowed to fly in controlled airspace, just as long as you get authorization either using LAANC via Airmap or Kittyhawk app, or through FAA's DroneZone website.

FAA has a facilities map that shows 1 mile square grids within a controlled airspace, and how high within that square you can easily get authorization. The LAANC equipped apps I mentioned include the facilities map. That's all you need to be safe and legal, other than TFRs/NOTAMs.

DJI's map typically goes by the facilities map, though they also add zones for G space airports, particularly their runway approaches. They also add TFRs to their database, which is lacking in Airmap and probably Kittyhawk.

Personally I feel FAA overreaches with altitude restrictions on runway approaches.
Near me is a class E controlled airspace with runway approaches at 0 altitude as far as 5 miles from the runway. Right after that 5 miles is 400ft limit. In the meantime there are major power distribution lines about 120 or so feet cutting across the approach at about 3 or 4 miles from the airport, not to mention tall trees along that path.

I see little reason there can't be a limited altitude, gradually increasing from 100ft after 2 or 3 miles from the runway.
If a plane is below 200ft 3 miles from the airport, I am least likely to be his problem.

No thanks. Why does an airspace map need access to your identity and contacts?

Reactions: PhantomFandom
That contains way more information than we need. Too confusing for most drone owners.

Someone is better off using KittyHawk, B4UFly, or UASidekick. Even AirMap in a pinch.

The ArcGIS site it great for planning.

And I seriously doubt an SWA 737 flying at 140 KTS would see a drone. There is virtually no way to notice and identify a drone at those speeds. It was most likely a bird out of the corner of the eye. Especially 5 miles out. The drone isn't that high.

I'm going to make a plug here for the free 'FltPlan Go' app. I've used it for several months (on iOS) and it's handy to see if you're in the clear or maybe somewhere inside of class C or D airspace. It's for iOS, Android and Windows.

I fly part 121 for an airline and I also own a Mini and an Air-2. We landed in Ft Myers today and a SWA 737 landing behind us, was checking in with the tower, reports not ONE, but TWO drones SE of the final approach course. Tower then proceeded to take down whatever info he could give. He estimated their altitude as 500', but of course we know it *could* have been 400' since it's an estimate. Was he outside the 5 mile radius of the class C, or just a bit inside? Nobody can be sure. If he spotted them, I'd say they were probably pretty close. After shutting down at the gate, I checked my DJI app and yes, there's the usual prohibited zone around the airport, with ceiling limitations depicted in grey along the approach corridor to runway 23. I'm not sure what dimensions DJI uses for those. It sounds to me, and the way it appears on the DJI Fly app, as if one could possibly be flying in an area where the app allows unrestricted flight, but still be within Class C around KRSW. Their airspace starts at the surface and contains everything out a 5 mile radius. DJI themselves will tell you, do not use them and their app to determine your legality!

So here's the deal. If we used an app like this FltPlan Go, assuming you're in the USA, one could see a nice little dot on a Sectional Chart to make a very good assessment as to how clear one is from that controlled airspace. Obviously, your drone's position is something you're going to have to ascertain for your self. And if done with proper care, we would avoid some of these cringe-worthy moments of hearing about drones making incursions into controlled airspace. This is approximately my second time in a month hearing of this and something like the 3rd time in 6 months. So, at least to me, it sounds like an increasing problem.

Also,.....if you have a mobile connection, these websites might help too: (although most on this forum are probably savy enough to know about them already.)

Spread the word when you can on this since the offenders probably aren't on a forum like this.

Cheers,
Tom

Just for a lark, I installed this app on my phone to have a look at it. As Nancy Pelosi says, we have to pass the bill before we can see what is in it. So I though I would have a look.

The first page is actually several pages of legalese and disclaimers, tons of legal stuff that was too small to read without pinching out. Then a registration so they get all of your data. Then a very complex choice of menus. I thought I was signing up for a NASA space walk. I would characterize this app as TMI, or too much information, required of me. I have been flying for 3 years now without this hassle-filled crap, so I just un-installed it. There is already too much government regulation and big brother watching my stuff around. I'd rather be a stealth flyer like I am now. Sneak in under the cover of darkness, wait for the light, fly quickly, and get out. Of course I follow the rules, only going a little bit up directly above me when I am crowded urban areas. Out in the wide open spaces like Montana I can let er rip.

Just for a lark, I installed this app on my phone to have a look at it. As Nancy Pelosi says, we have to pass the bill before we can see what is in it. So I though I would have a look.

The first page is actually several pages of legalese and disclaimers, tons of legal stuff that was too small to read without pinching out. Then a registration so they get all of your data. Then a very complex choice of menus. I thought I was signing up for a NASA space walk. I would characterize this app as TMI, or too much information, required of me. I have been flying for 3 years now without this hassle-filled crap, so I just un-installed it. There is already too much government regulation and big brother watching my stuff around. I'd rather be a stealth flyer like I am now. Sneak in under the cover of darkness, wait for the light, fly quickly, and get out. Of course I follow the rules, only going a little bit up directly above me when I am crowded urban areas. Out in the wide open spaces like Montana I can let er rip.
Thanks for your first person assessment. Appreciate your experience with the software.

Cheers,
Tom
All good information in this thread.
Two drones in a flight path around a commercial airport just no reason for that. Even if there's no app to show restrictions common sense should come into play.

Reactions: MRomine
"That contains way more information than we need. Too confusing for most drone owners.
Someone is better off using KittyHawk, B4UFly, or UASidekick. Even AirMap in a pinch."

In retrospect, I think you have a good point. It may be too much and its main thing is for actual filing of flight plans, the free charts are all I use it for, which is a plus.

If it asks for access to contacts, I may have forgotten about that, but that had more to do with the flight plan filing part.

"And I seriously doubt an SWA 737 flying at 140 KTS would see a drone. There is virtually no way to notice and identify a drone at those speeds. It was most likely a bird out of the corner of the eye. Especially 5 miles out. The drone isn't that high."

Actually, at 140 kts, descending at approximately 300' per mile, you'd be about 900' at 3 miles and coming over the airport property at about 500'. If the other pilot is doing the landing, I can tell you, one does have a tendency to spot little things off to the side. But I get what you're saying about how if he *were* legal, he'd have to be 5 miles out. So, if I'm understanding the situation right, the drone would have probably had to be inside the class C. The crazy thing about that, is that you'd have to trudge through a lot of pretty undeveloped south Florida property there. I'm not a big fan of snakes and 'gators myself. So maybe it'll be a self-correcting problem!

Cheers,

Tom

Reactions: Chip D
I noticed, I rarely if ever see Police or Emergency helicopters transmitting position data on ADS-B equipped drones. Are helicopters not required to transmit their positions?

I’m not sure, maybe someone can weigh in on this. But there is probably a date at which ADSB will be required and we just aren’t there yet. The technology is getting less expensive these days. I think we will see more ADSB in use very soon. Maybe after January 1st or so.

You are allowed to fly in controlled airspace, just as long as you get authorization either using LAANC via Airmap or Kittyhawk app, or through FAA's DroneZone website.

FAA has a facilities map that shows 1 mile square grids within a controlled airspace, and how high within that square you can easily get authorization. The LAANC equipped apps I mentioned include the facilities map. That's all you need to be safe and legal, other than TFRs/NOTAMs.

DJI's map typically goes by the facilities map, though they also add zones for G space airports, particularly their runway approaches. They also add TFRs to their database, which is lacking in Airmap and probably Kittyhawk.

Personally I feel FAA overreaches with altitude restrictions on runway approaches.
Near me is a class E controlled airspace with runway approaches at 0 altitude as far as 5 miles from the runway. Right after that 5 miles is 400ft limit. In the meantime there are major power distribution lines about 120 or so feet cutting across the approach at about 3 or 4 miles from the airport, not to mention tall trees along that path.

I see little reason there can't be a limited altitude, gradually increasing from 100ft after 2 or 3 miles from the runway.
If a plane is below 200ft 3 miles from the airport, I am least likely to be his problem.
I ran into a situation the other day when I was attempting to fly my MA2 in restricted airspace,I couldn't take off unless I received some kind of ok,I'm new to flying,I did a bit of homework and I downloaded Kittyhawk and B4UFLY on my iPad,I want to know how to receive the ok to fly in such areas,any info would be appreciated. Where I do most of my flying is just on the edge or boundary of restricted flying due to a regional airport .

I ran into a situation the other day when I was attempting to fly my MA2 in restricted airspace,I couldn't take off unless I received some kind of ok,I'm new to flying,I did a bit of homework and I downloaded Kittyhawk and B4UFLY on my iPad,I want to know how to receive the ok to fly in such areas,any info would be appreciated. Where I do most of my flying is just on the edge or boundary of restricted flying due to a regional airport .
Hopefully you were in controlled airspace rather than restricted.
You need LAANC approval through Airmap/kittyhawk to be legal to fly in controlled airspace, but getting LAANC approval doesn't have the MA2 unlock for flight.

To unlock authorization (blue) zone in DJI apps where you get a NFZ message:
Fly app needs internet access.
You need ability to receive SMS. This doesn't have to be on the same device you're flying with.
Attempt to start motors.
Follow prompts

Hopefully you were in controlled airspace rather than restricted.
You need LAANC approval through Airmap/kittyhawk to be legal to fly in controlled airspace, but getting LAANC approval doesn't have the MA2 unlock for flight.

To unlock authorization (blue) zone in DJI apps where you get a NFZ message:
Fly app needs internet access.
You need ability to receive SMS. This doesn't have to be on the same device you're flying with.
Attempt to start motors.
Follow prompts
I was attempting to fly in controlled airspace(blue zone), how do I get LAANC approval if the 2 apps you mentioned( i downloaded those 2 apps already to my ipad) doesn't have the MA2 for flight? I use my ipad for flying and I don't have internet access on it,I would have to fly with my smartphone which also has the DJI app on it.

LAANC is model agnostic so select a model that's close.
However I just checked Airmap and DJI Mavic Air 2 is a viable selection to add to your aircraft profile.

LAANC approval is only to make you legal for your flight. It doesn't allow or block you from flight from a technological sense.

To unlock the blue authorization zone in the field, the DJI app will need internet access during the unlock process. You'll need a means of receiving text by phone number. It doesn't have to be the same device running the DJI app, but does save a step if it is.

To start the unlock, attempt to start motors with CSC or try to take off.
You'll then be prompted to begin the unlock process.
This will include entering a phone number that you can receive SMS for. If that's the same device the app is running on, it will pick up the text message and continue the unlock process.
If not, it will ask you to enter the code DJI sent by text.

You can also request an unlock code from a desktop browser at https://flysafe.dji.com. This can be done before you go out into the field to fly. You'll need the flight controller or AC serial number. You may need the SN printed on the AC itself. What shows in the app might not work.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998