DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A question of height and location

dopey dingo

Reactions
Hello
I am new here so g'day from WA.
I am also very new the drones having only JUST purchased one and still trying to figure out how it works and all the rules around its use.
I see the rules say you cannot exceed 120M, fair enough but....
do the CASA rules apply everywhere within Australia?
Are there uncontrolled areas, perhaps in remote rural areas, outback, whatever where you can exceed the limits?
I do recall a couple of fellas I knew flying rockets a few hours away from the towns but I have no idea whether they were breaking any rules.
Any thoughts, ideas or actual knowledge would be appreciated
Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm in WA too, and no, the CASA rules apply everywhere. There are no unrestricted areas. The 120m / 400 feet (height limit applies to keep our drones below the minimum altitude of manned aircraft, which is 500 feet above ground level (AGL) and that applies everywhere in Australia too. That gives us a 100 foot separation, to keep all aircraft safe.

Hi dopey dingo Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
New flyer advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH (Return To Home) to save you especially if you are under trees.
Don't forget to read the manual, can’t give a link, don’t know what you are flying ;)
You want an SD card that is U3 for 4K
Most of all have FUN

Reactions: dopey dingo
Welcome to the forum dingo.

As Galeforce1 said, it's every bit of the country, ad generally 120m is enough to get some great aspects from height.
That said, in SOME places I have pushed it a little more (can't recall now, might have gone to 150m, and likely for only a matter of minutes) . . . talking middle of the Simpson desert type areas, way (way) past where any small aircraft would be able to / wish to fly.

I know, it's hard to keep the line / balance, that's why we have blanket rules I guess, and not everyone has the same level of judgment as to what's remote enough, where small aircraft can / do travel etc.

Usually there's not many places I'd want / need to fly higher, most good footage is taken low to mid elevations anyway.
Even the Nullarbor was great from 120m, got all the vastness in from that height easily.

I think in some cases, the new CASA licensing we are moving into may allow for flights outside normal parameters.
Remote places and even more populated areas could see allowances to fly to greater altitude and maybe BVLOS if it's deemed safe.

Enjoy the new drone but yeah, start small, safe, and learn the drone ops, rules and why as you go in a much safer way.

I too am in WA.

We are very lucky here - not much controlled airspace away from Perth so there are plenty of areas to fly. Don't be put of by what the rules on National Parks are in some other states, here you can fly in them. Some local councils will have rules but the legality of them is questionable. Just remember the 120m rule and no closer than 30m to people.

Hello
I am new here so g'day from WA.
I am also very new the drones having only JUST purchased one and still trying to figure out how it works and all the rules around its use.
I see the rules say you cannot exceed 120M, fair enough but....
do the CASA rules apply everywhere within Australia?
Are there uncontrolled areas, perhaps in remote rural areas, outback, whatever where you can exceed the limits?
I do recall a couple of fellas I knew flying rockets a few hours away from the towns but I have no idea whether they were breaking any rules.
Any thoughts, ideas or actual knowledge would be appreciated
Thanks
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929