DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Master

Rest In Peace, Fellow Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I decided I would make my own custom tablet holder adapter out of a coat hanger. I didn’t want to wait for a 3D printed version. So, I just figured that to make one was simple enough!
I added the black rubber tubing to help protect the controller and device.
What do you think?
82D42046-BE61-403E-801A-42047F6C3FCB.jpegBF49257E-49C4-415F-8525-7EECB2D59372.jpegF17F75B0-7D51-4470-9F34-285F1314268C.jpegA5583B39-C016-4DC8-BFC1-A8E01F9504DA.jpeg3919F92A-1433-4F49-9A9E-E6017235F732.jpeg869C33FF-493F-42AE-A5FC-1A738D88DE9D.jpegA8229E62-675E-489A-97E0-478132D15A04.jpeg
Added some spec pics in case you want to l know the average measurements.
73646FB8-1C6D-4CDA-87B4-6410BE09B330.jpeg
14116F41-DD5F-4998-8E03-23369A3DF36F.jpeg

Looks good. The problem I have with this setup, is that the tablet stays at one angle. One needs to be able to adjust the angle depending on sunlight situation.
Agreed, but this is just a simple solution just to be able to use a tablet or iPad.

Reactions: copterbob
I decided I would make my own custom tablet holder out of a coat hanger. I didn’t want to wait for a 3D printed version. So, I just figured that to make one was Simple!
What do you think?
View attachment 102892View attachment 102893View attachment 102894View attachment 102895View attachment 102896View attachment 102897View attachment 102898
View attachment 102905
View attachment 102906
Looks pretty legit to me! Nice work!

Reactions: Drone Master
Nice job! I ordered one of the 3D printed ones, and have briefly used it for the 9.7” iPad. Aside from no angle adjustability, my biggest concern is the additional unplanned for weight is now fully supported by the fragile silver tubes, and the unbalanced weight of the entire setup while holding it during flight, making it fall away from you, stresses the tubes even further. For this reason, I have reverted to the PGYTECH Mavic 2 tablet holder, mounted backwards into the phone mount, which suspends the iPhone tablet weight over the middle of the RC for a balanced setup, with no additional stress on the silver antenna tubes. A key ring around the base of the vertical bar of the tablet holder allows attaching a lanyard, so it can hang freely vertically, when needing both hands, while still acting as a safety strap during flight, with a quick release clip in the lanyard.
I mount mine flipped 180° from the image below, with the vertical bar coming up at the front side of the plastic base, instead of the far side, next to the antennas. Also, no metal near the antennas that way, too! Base is all plastic.
17E4283A-DD4B-4371-91D9-A20F319CEA66.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: copterbob
looks nice....BUT, is there any interference with the antenna?

It is very likely that the radiation pattern of the antenna will be changed making the signal stronger in some directions at the expense of being weaker in the others. E.g. the signal going up and through the ipad will definitely be attenuated. The problem will unlikely be noticeable at close range though.

Last edited:
Thors Drone World have produced a new tablet holder that does not clamp in the antenna sliding part ,but is affixed to the actual case of the controller and also it has an adjustment for the angle of the screen ,out of interest they have also produced a version that fits in a similar way to the original mavic controllers ,i have one on pre order for early June ,they are quite expensive but the quality and construction looks superb (i do not have any connection to the company ),but have found having purchased from them in the past that their products are first class

Thors Drone World have produced a new tablet holder that does not clamp in the antenna sliding part ,but is affixed to the actual case of the controller and also it has an adjustment for the angle of the screen ,out of interest they have also produced a version that fits in a similar way to the original mavic controllers ,i have one on pre order for early June ,they are quite expensive but the quality and construction looks superb (i do not have any connection to the company ),but have found having purchased from them in the past that their products are first class
I have their Autel EVO tablet holder, and while it works well, it ruins the portability and transportability of the small form factor, because it is not designed for quick and easy assembly and disassembly in the field. It is best left assembled, where it won't fit in any case, let alone the Combo shoulder bag. The PGYTECH one above collapses almost completely flat, and is assembled in seconds for 1/4 the price at $23.

Nice job! I ordered one of the 3D printed ones, and have briefly used it for the 9.7” iPad. Aside from no angle adjustability, my biggest concern is the additional unplanned for weight is now fully supported by the fragile silver tubes, and the unbalanced weight of the entire setup while holding it during flight, making it fall away from you, stresses the tubes even further. For this reason, I have reverted to the PGYTECH Mavic 2 tablet holder, mounted backwards into the phone mount, which suspends the iPhone tablet weight over the middle of the RC for a balanced setup, with no additional stress on the silver antenna tubes. A key ring around the base of the vertical bar of the tablet holder allows attaching a lanyard, so it can hang freely vertically, when needing both hands, while still acting as a safety strap during flight, with a quick release clip in the lanyard.
I mount mine flipped 180° from the image below, with the vertical bar coming up at the front side of the plastic base, instead of the far side, next to the antennas. Also, no metal near the antennas that way, too! Base is all plastic.
View attachment 102922
Nice solution. I have my own rig and am tweaking the configuration to have better balance.

I have their Autel EVO tablet holder, and while it works well, it ruins the portability and transportability of the small form factor, because it is not designed for quick and easy assembly and disassembly in the field. It is best left assembled, where it won't fit in any case, let alone the Combo shoulder bag. The PGYTECH one above collapses almost completely flat, and is assembled in seconds for 1/4 the price at $23.
I also have the Thor mount on pre-order. I'm not worried about the size as I'm coming from a Phantom 4 Pro. I have the PGYTECH mount and for me I just don't trust it with my iPad. Not because of the the quality of the PGYTECH mount but because the way it (and currently all others except the Thor) connect to the controller.

In my opinion I just don't have a lot of faith in the spring loaded bars to hold the weight of a larger iPad especially elevated above the controller, with a phone they work perfect through.

When I go somewhere that size and portability are a factor I'll just use my phone.

Reactions: btross89
Thanks I didn't know they were making one so quick, I went ahead and put my money down for one as well. I Have a 5th gen Ipad and an old Galaxy S8+ that I am currently using because My Galaxy s20 Ultra is just ever so slightly too big for the phone mount on the MA2 controller and puts a lot of pressure on the mount and slightly bows it out. And seeing as that is also the antenna I am not wanting to break the thing trying to cram that in there each time. I ordered the mount as well as a separate Phone Ball mount that will fit my s20 Ultra no problem. Don't get me wrong the design on the controller is slick but even with the cheaper options putting an Ipad on there throws off the weight balance a great deal and also leaves a lot to be desired for lanyard attachment options as the plate in the controller isn't very big and more designed more for the MP2 controller style, and doesn't have a great deal of tension on the clamp. when i put a lanyard on it it feels like the mount is gonna pull right out of the controller. I think the weight problem will be slightly alleviated, but still present but with the lanyard post that will be decently mitigated.

View attachment 102922

How sturdy is this? I had a Skyreat that was meant for the older style controllers and it was a bit wobbly in this new controller. It fit but I had no confidence in using it.

I decided I would make my own custom tablet holder adapter out of a coat hanger. I didn’t want to wait for a 3D printed version. So, I just figured that to make one was simple enough!
What do you think?
View attachment 102892View attachment 102893View attachment 102894View attachment 102895View attachment 102896View attachment 102897View attachment 102898
View attachment 102905
View attachment 102906
Looks great. Simple and easy to make, quick to install.

Reactions: Drone Master
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi