DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A week in wilderness

henrim

Reactions
I’m thinking about taking my MP2 to my next week long hike next summer in wilderness. I have not decided yet what other camera gear I will be taking with me, but the gear usually weigh more than my food for the trip:)

I guess I could take the mp2 with two or three batteries with me. Now, what would you recommend for charging the batteries. I have some solar cells I have used for charging cellphone batteries etc, but those drone batteries are different animals. Let’s say I could carry some 2kg/4.5 pounds extra. What would you do?

I’m thinking about taking my MP2 to my next week long hike next summer in wilderness. I have not decided yet what other camera gear I will be taking with me, but the gear usually weigh more than my food for the trip:)

I guess I could take the mp2 with two or three batteries with me. Now, what would you recommend for charging the batteries. I have some solar cells I have used for charging cellphone batteries etc, but those drone batteries are different animals. Let’s say I could carry some 2kg/4.5 pounds extra. What would you do?
I would take 10 batteries, no food and a spear.

Unfortunately there is no more compact form of energy storage than the batteries themselves. In terms of tapping other energy sources there is really only the sun, but enough wattage to charge those batteries would require a lot of solar panels. Extra batteries are the most weight-efficient solution.

When you said wilderness, did you mean US-designated wilderness? If so - bear in mind that UAV use is prohibited in those areas. If not - disregard.

You might use an Energen charger but an A20 at 7.5 lbs is a lot of extra weight to carry. I have done a lot of backpacking and I can tell you I would NEVER be carrying my mavic and some batteries along on a trip. It just isn't worth the extra weight. Now a day hike somewhere to a remote place to do some flying, I might try, but an entire week lugging it on my back, no way at all. Once the batteries were dead, it would be useless weight to have to carry along.

You might use an Energen charger but an A20 at 7.5 lbs is a lot of extra weight to carry. I have done a lot of backpacking and I can tell you I would NEVER be carrying my mavic and some batteries along on a trip. It just isn't worth the extra weight. Now a day hike somewhere to a remote place to do some flying, I might try, but an entire week lugging it on my back, no way at all. Once the batteries were dead, it would be useless weight to have to carry along.

Not sure that it works with the Mavic 2, but even with the Mavic Pro it doesn't seem like an efficient solution. The MP battery weights 8 oz. The A20 will only do four charges. Four MP batteries weigh 2 lbs and cost $350 - so the cost saving is only $100 for a significant weight penalty and less total battery lifetime.

Not sure that it works with the Mavic 2, but even with the Mavic Pro it doesn't seem like an efficient solution. The MP battery weights 8 oz. The A20 will only do four charges. Four MP batteries weigh 2 lbs and cost $350 - so the cost saving is only $100 for a significant weight penalty and less total battery lifetime.
My point was though that no matter what you do, it is just extra dead weight once all the batteries are drained.

My point was though that no matter what you do, it is just extra dead weight once all the batteries are drained.

For stored energy sources, of course. I don't think that was in question. The OP is looking for the most J/kg of usable electrical energy.

Reactions: henrim
Unfortunately there is no more compact form of energy storage than the batteries themselves. In terms of tapping other energy sources there is really only the sun, but enough wattage to charge those batteries would require a lot of solar panels. Extra batteries are the most weight-efficient solution.

When you said wilderness, did you mean US-designated wilderness? If so - bear in mind that UAV use is prohibited in those areas. If not - disregard.

Thanks. But luckily I’m in Finland so those regulations don’t apply.

Reactions: Thwyllo
Thanks everyone! I guess I’ll just take the drone and four batteries with me. Shoot what I can and leave the gear at some place when the batteries are dead and pick the stuff up when I’m coming back from my hike:)

Reactions: lertsek

There are some areas the drones are permitted. Granted, they are few and far between, but areas do exist! Same applies to the US NPs. Some places do permit drones. Nearly all do NOT.

There are some areas the drones are permitted. Granted, they are few and far between, but areas do exist! Same applies to the US NPs. Some places do permit drones. Nearly all do NOT.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of any wilderness or NPS areas that allow unrestricted sUAS operations, so that's interesting.

You could also just take a power bank I have used one on many occasions is also great for charging you phone.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of any wilderness or NPS areas that allow unrestricted sUAS operations, so that's interesting.

I don't know about National Park exceptions but I believe that most, if not all official wilderness areas are off limits to mechanized vehicles or equipment including chainsaws, etc.

While you are back there, could you please make sure to rake those forests! "Rake Finland great again!" :cool:

Another finnish hiker here. And also a M2P owner now.
Let me tell you, if I left all the rakes home (you gotta have spare ones!) that I usually need to take with me for a 7 day hike, I would carry 10 extra M2P batteries easily! But man, those forests are dirty! You don't want to shoot dirty forest sceneries.

Reactions: henrim and ff22
I don't know about National Park exceptions but I believe that most, if not all official wilderness areas are off limits to mechanized vehicles or equipment including chainsaws, etc.

That's correct. And I was unaware of any exceptions, but apparently there are some.

Last edited:
Medical emergency, perhaps? I don't know about fighting forest fires - let it burn if wilderness?

I didn't mean authorized exceptions - those certainly exist. We have a standing authorization to deploy drones in USFS wilderness for search and and rescue, for example. I meant designated wilderness where there is no restriction on sUAS operations - I'm not aware of that.

Reactions: ff22
You could also just take a power bank I have used one on many occasions is also great for charging you phone.

Any good recommendations? I have a few for charging phones etc. but those Mavic batteries need more juice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121