DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Word From the FAA

Norb_DAIS

Reactions
Hi All,

I started a thread on the Mavic 2 Pro forum regarding a citation I received late last month: Tell It To the Judge...

As usual, I received a lot of comments about the validity of the citation and advice on how to handle the situation. I sent an inquiry to the FAA to get some clarification straight from the source. Here is what the FAA ([email protected]) sent in response (attached).

-Norb

Attachments

• State and Local Regulation of UAS Fact Sheet Final 12172015.pdf
    79.6 KB · Views: 856
Excellent information thank you. I know exactly where this is going and how it will conclude. Within 2 years or less the feds will mandate title 107 certification for all UAS 0wners. It is the most logical way to structure the growing use and to weed out many irresponsible dronies.

Excellent information thank you. I know exactly where this is going and how it will conclude. Within 2 years or less the feds will mandate title 107 certification for all UAS 0wners. It is the most logical way to structure the growing use and to weed out many irresponsible dronies.
I would hope your assumption would be incorrect. Should the premise hold true, many CBOs would be out of business legally and be forced to, possibly, travel extreme distances to have fun. I know it only takes but a few to ruin it for all with more and more regulation. I really hope that would not be the case. I do know that the FAA would definitely consider that a viable possibility, but I sincerely hope not.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Hogwash. There will ALWAYS be irresponsible people with credentials.
Why do you think 107 holders are immune to stupidity? The test isn't exactly rocket science. A 9th grade education could pass easily.

Hard to say where the regulations will ultimately lead. It is certainly possible that the clampdown on bad actors will accelerate, the technology already exists to identify where drones are in the airspace. I suspect the technology also exists to identify the drone and drone owners/operators, but has yet to be implemented. It is conceivable that bad actors will receive a ticket in the mail not unlike car drivers receive traffic tickets in the mail.

I'm encouraged that the FAA has squelched local and state governments adding to the airspace confusion by inserting their own laws.

I hope that with the continued roll out of LAANC, there can be a compromise between the regulators and the operators.

I have the 107. It was not easy; however, a studious ninth grader could pass. The 107 doesn't preclude someone from using bad judgement, but it does help identify what is and what isn't bad judgement, and the knowledge certainly does reduce the number of times bad judgement is exercised.

I encourage others to at least study for the exam. All parts are applicable to commercial drone operators though not all are relevant for hobbyists. Having a good understanding of airspace, how to read sectionals, and where to get notifications and temporary flight restrictions will help keep the compromise alive, and not force us onto the confines of an AMA field.

If ever forced onto the confines of an AMA field, I'm done with it.
At the same time, how can flying haphazardly, over developed areas be permitted? You can't just drive a car any where or way you want though many do, and at times we all do. And, we all curse them up one side and down the other.

I think having some liability insurance is a reasonable requirement, if you intend to fly over developed areas.

I think having some liability insurance is a reasonable requirement, if you intend to fly over developed areas.
For playing baseball or football as well. How about tossing a Frisbee around in the afternoon. All should require liability insurance. After all, more people are injured from those activities as compared to drones.

Liability insurance does not prevent drone accidents and there are already laws against unsafe flight.

Reactions: Aran
For playing baseball or football as well. How about tossing a Frisbee around in the afternoon. All should require liability insurance. After all, more people are injured from those activities as compared to drones.

Liability insurance does not prevent drone accidents and there are already laws against unsafe flight.
I'm talking about insurance to cover other peoples losses, and not your own broken ankle.
If your talking about breaking a window with a baseball, I've never had that happen other than to our house window. If I did break a neighbors window, I'm sure my parents would have paid for it

Last edited:
I'm talking about insurance to cover other peoples losses, and not your own broken ankle.

That is what I'm talking about. I throw a football, baseball, frisbee and it hits someone in the face. Far more likely to cause an injury than a drone.

As mentioned, liability insurance does not prevent those injuries and there are already laws about unsafe flight. Liability insurance is usually required where it has significant value to the public.

That is what I'm talking about. I throw a football, baseball, frisbee and it hits someone in the face. Far more likely to cause an injury than a drone.

As mentioned, liability insurance does not prevent those injuries and there are already laws about unsafe flight. Liability insurance is usually required where it has significant value to the public.
So....what are you arguing for? If you injure someone with a football badly enough, they're likely to suit to cover medical expenses.
Do you just want to be arrested, and say I'm sorry?

So....what are you arguing for? If you injure someone with a football badly enough, they're likely to suit to cover medical expenses.
Do you just want to be arrested, and say I'm sorry?

You would not be arrested for causing the injury itself, that is a civil matter. What was mentioned was, "I think having some liability insurance is a reasonable requirement, if you intend to fly over developed areas". My point is that having insurance is not the solution to people getting hurt. The government makes the laws we are discussing. It is not the government's place to require insurance unless it serves a purpose to the masses. Laws are made in an attempt to _prevent_ losses. This is why I keep mentioning that there are already laws against unsafe flying and why liability insurance is not required for activities that are far more dangerous than drone flights.

You would not be arrested for causing the injury itself, that is a civil matter. What was mentioned was, "I think having some liability insurance is a reasonable requirement, if you intend to fly over developed areas". My point is that having insurance is not the solution to people getting hurt. The government makes the laws we are discussing. It is not the government's place to require insurance unless it serves a purpose to the masses. Laws are made in an attempt to _prevent_ losses. This is why I keep mentioning that there are already laws against unsafe flying and why liability insurance is not required for activities that are far more dangerous than drone flights.
Flying over developed areas has inherent risks that are not mitigated by safe flying. Drones do just drop out of the sky, and fly away unexpectedly with unpredictable results.
I'm not sure I agree with the mandate for protection of the masses. I have to carry liability insurance for my car, but it's not likely I'll endanger the masses, in an accident.
Hard to say is which is more dangerous, a football, a frisbee, or a drone. Not many people fear errant frisbes, but many are concerned about drones, and not just for privacy.

Hard to say where the regulations will ultimately lead. It is certainly possible that the clampdown on bad actors will accelerate, the technology already exists to identify where drones are in the airspace. I suspect the technology also exists to identify the drone and drone owners/operators, but has yet to be implemented. It is conceivable that bad actors will receive a ticket in the mail not unlike car drivers receive traffic tickets in the mail.

I'm encouraged that the FAA has squelched local and state governments adding to the airspace confusion by inserting their own laws.

I hope that with the continued roll out of LAANC, there can be a compromise between the regulators and the operators.

I have the 107. It was not easy; however, a studious ninth grader could pass. The 107 doesn't preclude someone from using bad judgement, but it does help identify what is and what isn't bad judgement, and the knowledge certainly does reduce the number of times bad judgement is exercised.

I encourage others to at least study for the exam. All parts are applicable to commercial drone operators though not all are relevant for hobbyists. Having a good understanding of airspace, how to read sectionals, and where to get notifications and temporary flight restrictions will help keep the compromise alive, and not force us onto the confines of an AMA field.

If ever forced onto the confines of an AMA field, I'm done with it.
At the same time, how can flying haphazardly, over developed areas be permitted? You can't just drive a car any where or way you want though many do, and at times we all do. And, we all curse them up one side and down the other.

Good points. I guess where I am coming from, the way I fly is for fun. There will NEVER be people, or aircraft in the same space that I am flying. Why should I have to go through these hoops for the FAA when its the "mavic distance record" guys, or the "I have a 107, I am a pilot just like the guy in the cessna" they need to regulate.
I am all for limits, I am all for registration, I am NOT for putting undue requirements on ME because of what YOU want to do. If someone thinks they NEED to fly above 400', or near airports and glide slopes Make a test for them to pass. The more freedom you want, the more work thats required.

Good points. I guess where I am coming from, the way I fly is for fun. There will NEVER be people, or aircraft in the same space that I am flying. Why should I have to go through these hoops for the FAA when its the "mavic distance record" guys, or the "I have a 107, I am a pilot just like the guy in the cessna" they need to regulate.
I am all for limits, I am all for registration, I am NOT for putting undue requirements on ME because of what YOU want to do. If someone thinks they NEED to fly above 400', or near airports and glide slopes Make a test for them to pass. The more freedom you want, the more work thats required.
If you fly out in no man's land, then yeah you should be able to do what you want.
More and more lately, I fly out by the lake early in the morning, so I don't bother anybody, and nobody bothers me.

If you fly out in no man's land, then yeah you should be able to do what you want.
More and more lately, I fly out by the lake early in the morning, so I don't bother anybody, and nobody bothers me.
Airports and helipads I have one each 5 miles north east of me. Nothing but corn fields and pasture land as far as the eye can see out side of those, and continues for MILES.

ETA; I still dont let my mavic out of my sight, or go over 200' most of the time. There are plenty of photos from aircraft at altitude, its the pictures taken from below where aircraft fly, and above where humans can get without flight that are new and interesting to me.

Airports and helipads I have one each 5 miles north east of me. Nothing but corn fields and pasture land as far as the eye can see out side of those, and continues for MILES.

ETA; I still dont let my mavic out of my sight, or go over 200' most of the time. There are plenty of photos from aircraft at altitude, its the pictures taken from below where aircraft fly, and above where humans can get without flight that are new and interesting to me.
I am as well like to fly in remote places... Far away from civilization. That way I keep the drone haters happy.

Hogwash. There will ALWAYS be irresponsible people with credentials.
Why do you think 107 holders are immune to stupidity? The test isn't exactly rocket science. A 9th grade education could pass easily.

I know you HATE driver's license analogies but it fits.

Yea because requiring driver's licences eliminated car accidents, speeding and reckless driving.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada