DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2 Batteries: Not smart at all!

CountryGuy

Reactions
Ok, I've got these 3 Air 2 "Smart" batteries. Really? I don't think so.

Each battery was down to about one third. Plugged battery 1 in to charge and after several hours even, no difference. That was a little troubling but I went ahead and tried to charge battery 3 & 4. Yep, same thing! Simply did not take any charge.

So what to do? Call DJI's support and yell and scream that I've been ripped off? Come here and post a message blasting these obviously defective batteries I paid so much for?

Wellll... before I do that I could at least check one more thing. Make darned sure the problem was not my own. Where to start... Well first off, check this new multiple AC/DC USB charger gizmo thing I bought recently. Wait... what's this switch for? Are you telling me that this switch has to be pressed in order to provide power to all the AC outlets?? Good grief...

Yeah, yeah I know-- but c'mon, you have to admit if the batteries were REALLY smart they would provide some kind of message when I mistakenly connected them to a source with no actual power. I mean, how hard would it be to have a little voice saying: "Uh, really sure you know what you're doing here Sparky?!?"

Guess I'll hold off on the nasty email to DJI for now... :rolleyes:

Each battery was down to about one third. Plugged battery 1 in to charge and after several hours even, no difference. That was a little troubling but I went ahead and tried to charge battery 3 & 4. Yep, same thing! Simply did not take any charge.

So what to do? Call DJI's support and yell and scream that I've been ripped off? Come here and post a message blasting these obviously defective batteries I paid so much for?

Wellll... before I do that I could at least check one more thing. Make darned sure the problem was not my own. Where to start... Well first off, check this new multiple AC/DC USB charger gizmo thing I bought recently. Wait... what's this switch for? Are you telling me that this switch has to be pressed in order to provide power to all the AC outlets?? Good grief...

Yeah, yeah I know-- but c'mon, you have to admit if the batteries were REALLY smart they would provide some kind of message when I mistakenly connected them to a source with no actual power. I mean, how hard would it be to have a little voice saying: "Uh, really sure you know what you're doing here Sparky?!?"

Serves you right for buying an non OEM charger and not reading the chinglish manual ;) ?

Serves you right for buying an non OEM charger and not reading the chinglish manual ;) ?

Indeed! I was in a tech support position some years ago and while there were a number of relatively complex issues involved with some support tickets, the number one cause of the support call was traced back to some form of:
  • Is it plugged in
  • Is it turned on
  • Is it connected properly

Indeed! I was in a tech support position some years ago and while there were a number of relatively complex issues involved with some support tickets, the number one cause of the support call was traced back to some form of:
  • Is it plugged in
  • Is it turned on
  • Is it connected properly

Generally referred to as "error is between keyboard and chair"

@CountryGuy the switch you missed is simply there to prevent the battery being plugged into a live connection
when using the charger even the DJI ones it is not advisable to power them up till the battery is attached to the charging lead
you will notice the many pins on the battery connector and these all need to be connected before any current is allowed to flow
it is very easy to cause a short if not plugged in properly and damage the electronics in the charge control part of the battery
always make sure everything is connected correctly before any charger is powered up

Reactions: Tweeter
A smart battery in the hands of a non-smart user loses its intelligence analogous to the user ;-)

Use an origanal DJI power supply to charge your DJI batterys. Other chargeing methods needs a special knowlege...

Reactions: MaxE1955!
@hegauer ithink your post is a little harsh on the OP ,i get what your saying ,but with regards to none OEM chargers ,i have the Yx brand of multi chargers both for my MPP and now my MM and i have never had any adverse reactions with my batteries while using them i have 4 batteries for each of my drones and i can charge them all in about an hour and a half using the multi chargers this also includes the RCs as well
the OP was really having a go at himself in his post and realised his mistake it was an attempt to prevent another person making the same mistake

@hegauer ithink your post is a little harsh on the OP ,i get what your saying ,but with regards to none OEM chargers ,i have the Yx brand of multi chargers both for my MPP and now my MM and i have never had any adverse reactions with my batteries while using them i have 4 batteries for each of my drones and i can charge them all in about an hour and a half using the multi chargers this also includes the RCs as well
the OP was really having a go at himself in his post and realised his mistake it was an attempt to prevent another person making the same mistake

Yikes-- I never thought that my original tongue-in-cheek post would be taken seriously! Obviously my attempt at humor fell short.

I was indeed using the "official" DJI charger but was simply making fun of myself for plugging that charger into an outlet on this multi plug box (with a variety of connections) that didn't have power and initially thinking that there was something wrong with the battery itself.

But I guess that even my overtly inane suggestion for a "talking battery" was taken seriously as well.

Bottom line is that there's nothing wrong with my MA2's batteries. My own ability to comprehend the basics of electricity (is it plugged in?) however is suspect. Even if my joke flopped it's clear there's folks here more than willing to help and I do appreciate the input! :)

I have a similar problem with my M2Pro. The batteries do not hold their charge at all. I have 2 that fir to the M2P and take off and within 10 seconds I get a message to land immediately as battery is critically low. Yet on the SC screen the battery levels are still nearly full. The last time I tried to charge one of the problem batteries nothing happened at all. Yes they are expensive and I feel I have been conned. I have written to DJI and have heard nothing.

Yikes-- I never thought that my original tongue-in-cheek post would be taken seriously! Obviously my attempt at humor fell short.

I was indeed using the "official" DJI charger but was simply making fun of myself for plugging that charger into an outlet on this multi plug box (with a variety of connections) that didn't have power and initially thinking that there was something wrong with the battery itself.

But I guess that even my overtly inane suggestion for a "talking battery" was taken seriously as well.

Bottom line is that there's nothing wrong with my MA2's batteries. My own ability to comprehend the basics of electricity (is it plugged in?) however is suspect. Even if my joke flopped it's clear there's folks here more than willing to help and I do appreciate the input! :)
Not to worry, most of us got it.

Not to worry, most of us got it.

Guess I didn't read the bit about the switch but just went on the bit about unable to charge. It makes me angry that 2 batteries have gone dead after 30 charges!!!

hehe

Once I worked for a computer service company. We kept an inventory item "ONs" for how many times we solved the customer's problem by turning their computer on.

• Haha
Reactions: Icelandman
I have a similar problem with my M2Pro. The batteries do not hold their charge at all. I have 2 that fir to the M2P and take off and within 10 seconds I get a message to land immediately as battery is critically low. Yet on the SC screen the battery levels are still nearly full. The last time I tried to charge one of the problem batteries nothing happened at all. Yes they are expensive and I feel I have been conned. I have written to DJI and have heard nothing.
Check for swelling... could be minimal, but swelling is swelling... had a similar experience with a land immediately warning within seconds of TO with a full charged battery....

Reactions: Icelandman
Check for swelling... could be minimal, but swelling is swelling... had a similar experience with a land immediately warning within seconds of TO with a full charged battery....
Yes that is the problem I am having but now one of the problem batteries shows no charge at all and won't charge up when connected to the charger. Can't see any swelling though. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leroyman