DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2s erratic behavior

rawman001

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This isn't a flyaway per se, but I could easily see how it could be so I am adding this thread here. My A2S / RC Pro is acting odd. When the switch is in "N" (center position) the left stick works fine. But the right stick doesn't seem to be behaving correctly. When I pull the stick back (to move in reverse) the drone ascends and moves backwards or forwards. When I push the stick forward (to move forwards) it also climbs. Doesn't seem to happen in C or S, just Normal. I downloaded a log and posted it here:

One thing I notice is the flight mode shows P-GPS (Bypass). I checked and the obstacle avoidance shows "Brake" on the controller. Did I mess up a setting somewhere that's causing this? Or is something maybe defective? If so would it be the controller or the aircraft? I have my old RC-N1 controller around here somewhere but can't seem to find it at the moment to test it out.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Jon

I would say a stick calibration is in order. The data is showing very little stick input on the right, Then there is this line
1m 14.3sP-GPS (Bypass)24satellites8.2ft7.9ft337,473,228,107,272,000,000,000,000.0mph11.1ft
Worm hole, maybe?

Flying in such a location and at such low heights I'd be inclined to switch OA off.
I did something similar in my first flight of a second hand Mavic 2, I hadn't encountered OA before and it was a nightmare of a flight. From memory the original owner had left OA on, my mistake for not spotting that, and I didn't seem able to control the drone once it was in flight. I ended up 'having' to snatch it out of the air from above head height.

For the belt and braces approach, I'd check the controller's stick mode too.

Last edited:
Reactions: kidroc
I would say a stick calibration is in order. The data is showing very little stick input on the right, Then there is this line
1m 14.3sP-GPS (Bypass)24satellites8.2ft7.9ft337,473,228,107,272,000,000,000,000.0mph11.1ft
Worm hole, maybe?
When the problem first started I got an error about calibration. I'll have to look for that log. I did recalibrate and it didn't seem to make much difference. As for that speed, not sure what happened there. Normally I try to keep her under the speed of light that close to the ground!

Flying in such a location and at such low heights I'd be inclined to switch OA off.
I did something similar in my first flight of a second hand Mavic 2, I hadn't encountered OA before and it was a nightmare of a flight. From memory the original owner had left OA on, my mistake for not spotting that, and I didn't seem able to control the drone once it was in flight. I ended up 'having' to snatch it out of the air from above head height.

For the belt and braces approach, I'd check the controller's stick mode too.
This was just a test flight close to ground so I could see if I could reproduce the issue. I normally fly higher than 8 feet. I've had practice flights in this same location hundreds of times and until recently this never happened. I have always flown with OA in brake mode.

Not being nasty but that it was a test flight etc. does not matter.
My near 'fatal' first Mavic 2 flight was also a low, test flight, I doubt it went higher than 10ft and no more than 20ft away from me but it almost cost me a crash.
It only takes things to go wrong once to crash.

Reactions: lensimages
When the problem first started I got an error about calibration. I'll have to look for that log. I did recalibrate and it didn't seem to make much difference. As for that speed, not sure what happened there. Normally I try to keep her under the speed of light that close to the ground!
If calibration didn't work, I would then suspect a bad RC Pro. Open a case with DJI, as it is probably still under warranty.

Not being nasty but that it was a test flight etc. does not matter.
My near 'fatal' first Mavic 2 flight was also a low, test flight, I doubt it went higher than 10ft and no more than 20ft away from me but it almost cost me a crash.
It only takes things to go wrong once to crash.
No nastiness perceived or intended on my part either. The purpose of the test was to see if I could reproduce the issue I saw when I was flying. Normally I fly with OA on so I tried to reproduce the problem the same way. Since OA was on "Brake" mode, it shouldn't be moving the drone to avoid. It should just stop if it detected something in a sensor.

Turn bypass off the drone will try to avoid objects in that mode!

Late update on this but I finally found my rc-n1 controller and did some more testing. Same behavior with the RC-N1 as the RC Pro. I also picked up a Mini 3 Pro which works fine with both controllers. I sent the A2s back to DJI for repair. DJI got it on 3 April and they notified me the repair was completed on 4 April. They replaced the IMU module and covered it under warranty (they shipped back a different serial number, so I'm probably getting a refurbished. They shipped it back on the 4th but unfortunately I'm out of town for a few weeks. Can't wait to get home and test it out. Meanwhile I am enjoying the Mini 3 Pro.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom