DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2S + Standard Controller + iPad mini 6 = ?

RealSting

Reactions
Anyone using an iPad mini 6 with their standard A2S controller? If so, how are you mounting it on the controller?

This is what I’ve come up with but it’s a very tight fit. The controller cannot stretch much further than this. Not sure if this is a good idea?

Attachments

• 1091068E-BD1E-4E15-A7C3-48DE2B2599EF.jpeg
    1091068E-BD1E-4E15-A7C3-48DE2B2599EF.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 44
I just ordered the Mini 6 and the same mount yesterday. How do you like it? Looks like a pretty sweet set up.

I notice you have the protection case on the tablet. Is it really tight without it or I it a better fit"
*UPDATED POST* It’s a very tight fit for the controller with the iPad skin on and it’s a bit worrying! I would advise NOT to use any kind of skin when mounting it on the controller. It’s a much more comfortable fit with just the bare iPad. And remember.. to always put the holder in place before mounting the iPad - this morning I couldn’t work out why my iPad mini couldn’t fit on my controller.. trying to mount it and thinking WTF?! Then my brain woke up!! Embarrassing!

Will post back some more once the weather allows me to fly - haven’t even had a chance to test the A2S outside using it in the garden a couple of times!

Last edited:
Reactions: chad61610
I use a Mini 5 with the same plastic adapter that you have. I do not have the case on. When it is off the controller I have a UAG case. The UAG case is an easy in and out so there is no struggle. Of all the iPad mini holders I have tried, I like the current one the best. And it is inexpensive. I have one for each of my 3 drones.

Last edited:
Had a great day with the A2S and iPad mini 6. A lot of people have complained about the 500 nits brightness of the mini 6, but I assume they are using it in direct sunlight. Today was cloudy with the odd bit of sun (bright at times), but I didn't have any issue with brightness. On a bright cloudless day I could imagine it would be harder to see - a shade would likely be required if there is no natural shade around.

I cannot imagine going back to my iPhone X now.. once you've tried a bigger screen, it becomes cocaine! I used to use an iPad Pro 9.7" with my P4, but I think the mini is just the right size if you're having to move with your drone as I do.

I also fly the Air 2s using the standard controller and the iPad mini 6 and have two mounts I've purchased, both of which holds the Mini 6 without stress. This one (Mount with strap) I found to be more difficult to mount to the controller, but like the attachment and strap so am using part of what I purchased.

The first mount I purchased (Simple mount) was half the cost, easy to attach and store in my hard case and that, along with the strap attachment is what I now use. Off topic, but having the ability to free up both hands if needed by hanging the controller around my neck is very useful.

My iPad mini 6 has a skin applied, from DBrand to avoid scratches when mounting in the controller holder and a Smart Cover that protects the iPad but is extremely easy to quickly remove.

Attachments

• Skin.jpg
    Skin.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: RealSting
Anyone using an iPad mini 6 with their standard A2S controller? If so, how are you mounting it on the controller?

This is what I’ve come up with but it’s a very tight fit. The controller cannot stretch much further than this. Not sure if this is a good idea?
I use that exact same setup with my iPad Mini 5 but I got the lanyard attachment 'cos it gets a bit top heavy with the iPad. The lanyard attachment has a groove that the iPad Mini fits into that is nice so it cant slip around.

Reactions: RealSting
In
I also fly the Air 2s using the standard controller and the iPad mini 6 and have two mounts I've purchased, both of which holds the Mini 6 without stress. This one (Mount with strap) I found to be more difficult to mount to the controller, but like the attachment and strap so am using part of what I purchased.

The first mount I purchased (Simple mount) was half the cost, easy to attach and store in my hard case and that, along with the strap attachment is what I now use. Off topic, but having the ability to free up both hands if needed by hanging the controller around my neck is very useful.

My iPad mini 6 has a skin applied, from DBrand to avoid scratches when mounting in the controller holder and a Smart Cover that protects the iPad but is extremely easy to quickly remove.
Is the skin a sticky-skin (like a screen protector) or is it a silicone one and easily removed? Not seen one like that before.

1 I purchased my iPad mini 6 about a month ago

2 I'm using this holder/adapter:

3 I'm using this silicon boot: Amazon.com: Clear Case for New iPad Mini 6, iPad Mini 6th Generation Case 8.3 inch 2021, Supports 2nd Gen Apple Pencil Charging, Ultra Slim Transparent Soft TPU Back Cover Skin for iPad Mini 6 : Electronics

4 This silicone boot keeps the tablet snug in the holder/adapter & is easy to remove.
This looks like the best option with the most adjustment. I just bought an Air 2s and I'm used to flying my Phantom with a Mini 4 with a Hoodman, so it's a bit bigger.

I’m on the same holder extension and a similar protective skin as the OP on my iPad Mini 5. This is with the same controller, but it’s flying a Mini 2.

Yes, it’s snug. I like that. I have a routine for mounting the iPad; it’s easier before mounting the sticks. I really like the size of the iPad Mini, and that with the simple holder it is really stable and is a good physical scale relative to the controller.

I'm using a Mini 6 with the Hanatora mount. I discovered today that a case makes the iPad overheat when flying. It would be great if someone made a bumper edge only case for the Mini 6!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada