DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Above Clouds

Pacefast

Reactions
Went to location only to find Fog ! Then breaks to send the drone up while visual for some cloud shots.
Interesting at 300 feet Agl I was getting OA red circles near the clouds
Impressions ?

Peter

Went to location only to find Fog ! Then breaks to send the drone up while visual for some cloud shots.
Impressions ?

Peter

Impressions ?

Peter

Depending on where you are in the UK it might be wise to consider the risk of icing. I am not sure of the circumstances in which it occurs but ..............

Reactions: MS Coast
Nice video.

Depending on where you are in the UK it might be wise to consider the risk of icing. I am not sure of the circumstances in which it occurs but ..............
Icing occurs for the vast majority of time in visible moisture ( cloud ) where temp hits zero C ! Temp drops roughly 2 C per thousand feet so if it was 4 C on the ground the freezing level is likely to be 2000 feet, but hey we can only climb to 400 feet above our takeoff point and have to keep below that flying over sloping ground . Those figures are rule of thumb without getting too complicated

Icing occurs for the vast majority of time in visible moisture ( cloud ) where temp hits zero C ! Temp drops roughly 2 C per thousand feet so if it was 4 C on the ground the freezing level is likely to be 2000 feet, but hey we can only climb to 400 feet above our takeoff point and have to keep below that flying over sloping ground . Those figures are rule of thumb without getting too complicated
My point was that eastern UK was supposed to be fairly cold over the last couple of days, so it might be something to keep in mind.

It was a good choice to go above the fog , well done.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain
Just to be clear the Fog rolled up over a hill ridge which stopped abruptly at my takeoff point
Ie I had clear air and had visual contact at all times keeping the drone close in and above.
Sliding the drone along the cloud edge gave the clip a look of being on top

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Back when I had my Air, I did a couple of flights in freezing rain and snow. The snow doesn't really stick to the drone, but the freezing rain DID begin to collect on the leading edge of the props. Not enough to affect the performance, but when I landed, I was surprised to see the ice.

Temperature alone has nothing to do with icing condition. At 30,000ft it might be minus 40F air temp, but no icing occurs. You only get icing conditions when the dew point and the ambient temp. are the same.

Let me clarify that. Perfect icing conditions occur when the dew point and ambient temps are the same. Icing continued to be a problem when these temps start to separate, but only up to a point. The further apart these two temps are, the less likely you will be to have an icing situation occur.

Therefore, always check both Ambient and Dew Point temps at the levels you intend to fly at and if they are the same or a very close spread, then you may well run into icing conditions. Climbing or descending from an icing fight level, will usually get you out of icing conditions.

Ambient temp and dew point are the point where a mass of
Temperature alone has nothing to do with icing condition. At 30,000ft it might be minus 40F air temp, but no icing occurs. You only get icing conditions when the dew point and the ambient temp. are the same.

Let me clarify that. Perfect icing conditions occur when the dew point and ambient temps are the same. Icing continued to be a problem when these temps start to separate, but only up to a point. The further apart these two temps are, the less likely you will be to have an icing situation occur.

Therefore, always check both Ambient and Dew Point temps at the levels you intend to fly at and if they are the same or a very close spread, then you may well run into icing conditions. Climbing or descending from an icing fight level, will usually get you out of icing conditions.
The amount of water vapor air can "hold" varies with temperature, with warmer air having the ability to hold more water vapor. If we cool air down sufficiently (to the dew point temperature), it can no longer hold the moisture it started with, forcing the water vapor to condense out into water droplets or ice depending on the temp !
All that happens when temp and dewpoint meet is clout !
Its often easy to judge the altitude of cloudbases by working out the temp and dewpoint !
temp on the ground could be plus 20 C and dewpoint 14 C !
Rule of thumb is that temp drops 2C per 1000 feet so we know the cloudbase will likely be 3000 feet but the trmp and dewpoint will be 14 C at that level hence no ice forming
Worst Icing Occurs when the cloud drops to 0 C to minus 10 C and as you say very cold ice wont form
For icing to occur you have to be in visible moisture ( cloud )
It can occur with supercooled water droplets in clear air but thats a different story

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13