DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accidental RTH cancelation?

xml17

Reactions
So, I had lost connection to my RC after I had flown too low putting dense foliage between myself and the drone. My screen on my phone was completely dark with no connection to RC or GPS; all of the stats were red. After a few seconds, I panicked and held my RTH button on my controller. After several minutes, the drone never returned. Is it possible I accidentally canceled the failsafe RTH by hitting the button on the controller? Also, if I had no connection to the drone via controller, how could have the RTH button press gone through to the drone? Anything helps! Thanks!

If there were no connection between your controller and aircraft then no buttons on the controller would work. You lost connection and done was already on it's own out of your control unless it were to return on it's own and re-gain connection.
Check txt flight log on your phone to see the last known positions.
Without the flight logs anything else is a guess.

Reactions: Reid937
With the foliage mentioned you probably got in amongst that during a RTH.

It’s possible you regained connection without video transmission before you hit RTH.
The flight log might give some clues up to where true signal was lost.

You know how to get that ?

Section 3 . . .

What is/was the failsafe response set to?

In the circumstances where you are not sure if the drone is in RTH and can not check I have seen it said that the best thing to do is switch the controller off.
The thinking being that if the drone had a connection this will trigger the failsafe response which is normally RTH (the default), if the drone was already disconnected it should be following the failsafe action and hopefully RTH'ing and nothing will be changed.
Once you hopefully see the drone switch the controller on again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbip57
Is it possible I accidentally canceled the failsafe RTH by hitting the button on the controller?
Yes, that's quite possible.
Also, if I had no connection to the drone via controller, how could have the RTH button press gone through to the drone?
When the drone loses signal, it initiates its Falisafe RTH behaviour.
Depending on the drone model, it either:
  • Climbs to RTH height or
  • Retraces its path
Either way, it will usually reconnect when it gets a clear, unobstructed line of sight to the controller again.
If you happen to press the RTH button at that time, you can cancel the RTH, leaving the drone hovering and witing for you to resume flying.
If left there, it will eventually enter Low Battery RTH when the battery level is low enough.

If you want to get some idea what actually happened to your drone, there may be clues in the recorded flight data that someone can analyse.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

What model drone? Do you recall your LOS settings? Anyways, best to follow directions and post the logs for review. Might get it back. Hopefully you took advice here to mark your drone, ph# works. Did for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu