DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track almost killed my friend!

skysailing

Reactions
Well I am exaggerating, but when I was doing the Active track(profile) and when my friend started walking away, the mavic followed him in a fast pace speed and had I not used the control to pull the mavic away, it would have hit him. I got so scared it felt like my mavic wasn’t itself that day.

We did the filming in he desert. There was a bit of wind but I can’t imagine that the wind would blow it towards his direction because it was blowing in a different way.

Isn’t it supposed to maintain constant distance from the subject? Would appreciate any help.

I have found no issue, but what mode of active track did you use? there are 3 and I believe only 1 or 2 maintain distance, but I may be wrong.
I been playing with autopilot you may find that more capable as can track his phones gps rather then rely on contrast for tracking.

Its not perfect. Thats why you always need a drone operator looking physically at the thing ready to override.
Active track apparently is quite good but it uses optical tracking methods so things can confuse it.

Did you have video recording? Maybe post the flight logs, might be something interesting in there.

What were the visual conditions like? Was the person easy to pick out on the screen? Were there mottled shadows or terrain? Low Sun? The optical sensors can get confused.

I have found no issue, but what mode of active track did you use? there are 3 and I believe only 1 or 2 maintain distance, but I may be wrong.
I been playing with autopilot you may find that more capable as can track his phones gps rather then rely on contrast for tracking.

How can you get it to follow some other cell phone GPS data?

Ah, I didn't know what Autopilot was and from your post it wasn't clear that you were talking about another piece of software entirely. Thanks for the clarification.

back to the question at hand, yes OP I was talking about the autopilot app, I am training on it now, am pulling footage off my drone as we speak from a flyover I ran today.
Amongst its other abilities is the airspace feature where you can tie in your victims.. I mean "friends" mobile device and it will track him down... *insert terminator music*

please make sure to name your drones callsign as either Skynet or "HK-Aerial" :)

Isn’t it supposed to maintain constant distance from the subject? Would appreciate any help.
Not always. Same thing happened to me. The problem is that the Mavic can lag a little and then zoom forward. As it's pointed right at the subject, it can head right for it.

The picture below is take from a video where I was using Active track to follow me. A moment before this I turned to see the Mavic flying straight for me. I stopped quickly and took a couple of steps back. It was following me from about 30' away.There is a good chance that Collision Avoidance would have kicked in but it got within about 5' of me.

upload_2017-10-14_19-21-15.png

Sorry guys if this reads funny up to this post but had to clean up .
If I got your post please think nothing of it as it was all because of one member .
Carry on :)

Sorry guys if this reads funny up to this post but had to clean up .
If I got your post please think nothing of it as it was all because of one member .
Carry on :)
(Mod Removed )
IMG_8915.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:

hi! i used the profile mode on active track. I am now scared to use it because of what happened [emoji20]

Its not perfect. Thats why you always need a drone operator looking physically at the thing ready to override.
Active track apparently is quite good but it uses optical tracking methods so things can confuse it.

hello. yes good thing i was in control while I filmed my friend. But what if it was me and I wasn’t looking back [emoji20] then it would have hit me already. wonder if it has anything to do with the wind

Did you have video recording? Maybe post the flight logs, might be something interesting in there.

What were the visual conditions like? Was the person easy to pick out on the screen? Were there mottled shadows or terrain? Low Sun? The optical sensors can get confused.

hello! When I get home ill figure out how to get flight logs for data. I havent been flying a lot therefore I am still a noob (because I live in UAE and there are two licenses that I need to acquire)

it was sunset time and also a bit windy. The location was the desert. Also because the background is all sand I imagine it is easy to determine which subject to track

Not always. Same thing happened to me. The problem is that the Mavic can lag a little and then zoom forward. As it's pointed right at the subject, it can head right for it.

The picture below is take from a video where I was using Active track to follow me. A moment before this I turned to see the Mavic flying straight for me. I stopped quickly and took a couple of steps back. It was following me from about 30' away.There is a good chance that Collision Avoidance would have kicked in but it got within about 5' of me.

View attachment 23233

OMG SCARY this is what I was worried about. Now I am scared to do it to myself! And that’s what happened to my friend. would be interesting to know why and if it will actually hit you

Active track is nice you have to make sure to have adequate elevation to help prevent collision.. Active track only changes the tilt authority

Active track is nice you have to make sure to have adequate elevation to help prevent collision.. Active track only changes the tilt authority

Active Track will maintain it's height above ground as long as it's 30m and lower. So if you walk up a hill and the Mavic is at 30m or less, it will increase it's altitude as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54