DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track: Can someone review this quick clip and tell me what I did wrong?

Marc.Lip

Reactions
Hi everyone:
Recent Mavic Pro purchase and I am loving it, and trying to test all the features out. Today I did an Active Track of my nephew and it worked perfectly as he descended down trail. He stopped, turned around then came back up the trail and walked underneath the Mavic. That's the point where it lost him and never picked him back up. Did I (the Mavic) need to be further away? it looks great at start though - so thought I was i n good position. I just assumed MAvic would back up and rotate as he walked underneath it.

Can you please review this short clip and tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance and thanks to all of you here - I have learned so much about this passion/profession/hobby here on this great forum.

Marc

Hi Marc, welcome to the forum. The menu with the dot and half circles called Visual Navigation Settings has a setting called "Enable Backward Flying" that has to be activated when a subject is being tracked. Was that activated?

Ah, dang! Well considering I got the Mavic 48 hours ago, I'm guessing I did not enable that feature! Thanks so much - I'll go back in check my settings.

Thanks again to you and all of you here on the forum. To be honest, this forum is what swayed me to get one of these birds. I was slightly intimidated by all of the technology and my poor/rusty flying skills. This forum answered every one of my questions and made me feel more confident to take the plunge.

I never enable that feature... When the drone is flying autonomously, the last thing I want to do is introduce the possibility of flying backwards into trees (I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains). Active Track always loses the subject if the subject walks directly under the drone. You might set the drone off to one side of the trail, or you can use the right stick to obit the drone around the subject while still maintaining an active track. If the skies are totally clear where you are shooting, then you can entertain the option of enabling the backwards flight option.

Ah yeah - that's a good idea, Kevin. We were in complete wide open space for this test, but yeah, I can see now why that feature is Off by default.

Thanks again for your input.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Also worth noting that the Mavic will not search for a subject once it loses track of it, it will freeze where it is once it loses track. The Mavic will begin tracking a subject again after it has lost sight of it but only after the subject comes back into the frame.

Ah, good to know - thanks. Looks like that is certainly what happened there.