DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track drone went crazy

Srresquire

Reactions
Hi all. I am new to the forums and have done a cursory search of existing threads to see if anyone has had this issue and I haven’t found any relevant discussions so if I am missing something please let me know. Was flying today in a clear area and decided on active track. I hovered the drone at about 10 feet high and 30 feet away and set the green box on my dog and tossed a ball so he would run after it. The lock disappeared and the drone did not follow. Tried again but this time it started to follow for maybe a second but then moved rapidly backwards at the hover altitude and smashed into a tree and nearly hit someone. I don’t understand why it took off like that and am wondering if this is typical behavior in tracking mode. I thought if I set up at a certain height and distance before engaging the tracking it would maintain that distance. It pretty much moved rapidly away from me and out of control (at least that’s how it seemed). Is it like some of the other quick shot modes like spiral where it just moves off a large distance to get the shot? All the stuff I watched and read on tracking doesn’t seem to show this kind of thing. I am going to try to get the flight log but I would bet it’s something I did incorrectly. Any help or thoughts welcome.

Okay so have you tried:

- update firmware
- calibrate vision sensors
- calibrate IMU
- calibrate aircraft

Okay so have you tried:

- update firmware
- calibrate vision sensors
- calibrate IMU
- calibrate aircraft
Thanks for helping..
The firmware is up to date..I haven’t thought of trying the other things as the drone flies just fine when under my control...I thought the software would give me a warning to calibrate like it does with the compass..I can try these things you suggest..I am a bit nervous about trying the tracking mode again until I can find a wider open area and maybe I should track an object that doesn’t move as erratically as my pooch.

Thanks for helping..
The firmware is up to date..I haven’t thought of trying the other things as the drone flies just fine when under my control...I thought the software would give me a warning to calibrate like it does with the compass..I can try these things you suggest..I am a bit nervous about trying the tracking mode again until I can find a wider open area and maybe I should track an object that doesn’t move as erratically as my pooch.
Its okay to be a bit scared to fly again. I had the same problem with my P3S when it was suddenly flying away... just what you said, you should fly around in an open area to have that trust in you’re aircraft again.!