DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track mode WITH Terrain Follow mode now?

M4RK

Reactions
Ok guys...so I was under the impression that in any of the 3 Active Track modes, there was no capability to maintain the height if the subject went onto an uphill slope.

That was a separate function only found in Terrain Follow mode

However, in DJI's latest training video given by our smiley DJI man - albeit for a Phantom 4 - he alludes to the drone being able to sense its height in Active Track and so follow the subject uphill, keeping the same height above the ground.

OK..OK...its the Phantom not the Mavic, but surely it's the DGI Go 4 app that does the clever stuff?

Anyone tried this?

I'm pretty sure it works the same on the Mavic (it uses the same software and the same ultrasonics). This has been discussed before with the P4. Some people say it works as you saw it advertised. I've done some testing and see it a different way (I posted as unlisted video in that thread of some test video). I don't see it as something that should be counted on or relied on. Yes, it works... but I see it more as a last ditch effort to avoid a crash and not something that someone should rely on. For example, if you _know_ that the Mavic will need to climb up a hill, I'd not count on that feature to stop it from crashing.

I have some more (specific) testing on this coming up.

Reactions: M4RK
I can confirm going uphill works at least when walking up a slooe. Tried downhill but that seems harder to get to work...

Sorry, under Active Track. That is what the OP was talking about. He pointed out that change in height was possible in Terrain Mode but he wanted it in Active Track.

Ah okay. Still the manual has a cautionary note for non level surface tracking.

I haven't tried the any of the clever modes of the MP (tracking, following, etc.) - not all that interesting to me for video. But I suppose at some point I'll have to try them just to try them...

I tested these out yesterday. Terrain follow mode is not an active track mode, meaning you cannot have the Mavic lock onto a subject and track it. You can fly it at a preset height above the ground (less than about 13m), and as you fly, it will maintain that height above ground level, but only going uphill. If you go downhill, it will not go down, but remain level.
In the Active track mode, specifically Trace and Profile modes, it will maintain the altitude above ground both ascending or descending, as long as your height is below around 12m. It worked very well for me yesterday.

You might want to check if your mobile device has a barometer. Like the iPhone 6S. When I will purchase my Inspire 2, the GPS module for the RC is my first accessorie. In follow mode, it will use the altitude of your RC

You might want to check if your mobile device has a barometer. Like the iPhone 6S. When I will purchase my Inspire 2, the GPS module for the RC is my first accessorie. In follow mode, it will use the altitude of your RC

Active track on the Mavic only uses the ultrasonic sensors to adjusts it's own height. It does not use any altitude information from the controller or display device.

I'm wondering if it is only maintaining that altitude because you yourself are climbing or descending (I.e. It is trying to keep you at the same relative size). What if you are walking on a level surface, but the Mavic has a small hill it must raise up to clear as it is tracking you. Will it do so?

Yes, it will go up to clear the obstacle. In my movie, you can see at the end a small, dense evergreen at the side of my driveway. In my later test, I walked very close by it while the MAVIC was following me. MAVIC saw it and went up about another 5 feet to clear it (even though its original altitude was already slightly above it) and then it continued to follow me, but stayed at this 5 feet higher altitude. Not sure if it would do the same if it was a normal bush without leaves, not as dense as the evergreen. The MAVIC may not see the thin branches...

Active track-Trace-follow ground level HiRes.mp4
I tested Active Track-Trace mode going up and down a 50 foot hill. The MAVIC was set to follow me at about 15 feet above ground level and it maintained that height perfectly when going up and down the hill. It works well. See the movie clip URL above. I use DJI GO 4 app ver. 4.0.6 and MAVIC firmware ver. 01.03.0500
Good information thanks for posting

So, Gianu's test, he started low, went up a hill, and then came back down. Does anyone know if the Mavic will follow you down a hill if you start from the top of the hill and launch it there? In other words, will it Active Track down a hill if it has to go negative from it's starting altitude? Or, do you have to launch it from a lower altitude so that it never goes negative from the launch altitude?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98