DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track while climbing or descending a mountain - it works!

Reactions
hello all.
after reading a few posts on here on this topic I went out and tested this for myself today, so I wanted to share the results.. which are VERY positive!
On this forum I read people not having much joy or certainty about the MP being able to follow a subject up AND down a hill.
Well, today I did just that, and here is a video to demo it.
You do not even need that minimum altitude that some people are referring to, mine was only about 5mt above me.
And in "Profile" mode you can achieve this completely hands-free, so you can concentrate on your climbing/skiing/biking or whatever it is that makes you go up or down a mountain!

Reactions: dewster and RobP62
You still need to be very careful. If you had swiftly moved towards your left while doing that, the Mavic would have swung around to your right side and maybe even up the hill a bit, and potentially hit the hill. It's not entirely predictable...

You still need to be very careful. If you had swiftly moved towards your left while doing that, the Mavic would have swung around to your right side and maybe even up the hill a bit, and potentially hit the hill. It's not entirely predictable...

I have tried several times to "get in trouble" before taking the video, and it was pretty stable.
Only time it stopped following was when I was apparently entering a protected area, but even then it just hovered in place and waited for me to take control..

I do realise that I probably (accidentally) chose a good colour jacket in contrast to the grass, so I think any erratic behaviour you have experienced might be linked to lack of contrast between the subject and the background/terrain which makes it harder for the optical systems to recognise the subject..?

hello all.
after reading a few posts on here on this topic I went out and tested this for myself today, so I wanted to share the results.. which are VERY positive!
On this forum I read people not having much joy or certainty about the MP being able to follow a subject up AND down a hill.
Well, today I did just that, and here is a video to demo it.
You do not even need that minimum altitude that some people are referring to, mine was only about 5mt above me.
And in "Profile" mode you can achieve this completely hands-free, so you can concentrate on your climbing/skiing/biking or whatever it is that makes you go up or down a mountain!

I've also tried active track starting at the top of a slope then walking down hill. the bird was 1.8 meters above me and about 5 meters behind me. the elevation reads minus when reaching the bottom of the hill.

Reactions: RobP62
I have tested this also and find it to work well on slow moving objects. Try it on a faster moving object like biking or skiing and post your results, I think you will be greatly disappointed in the results!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada