DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

active track worked absolutely awful for me. why?

One way to rule out the sun as a problem is to increase the altitude and shoot more downward on you(or any subject). It looks as though it was tracking, but for some reason was not keeping up and with you starting to somewhat blend with the background of the hills, I can almost see it.
But I have not had issues as the only tracking I have attempted is my old slow self, and it had zero trouble tracking me. I am interested in seeing what others are going to figure out.

If the snowfall isn’t bad tomorrow I’m gonna test it out again. I’ll post back

2nd attempt worked like crap too. It locks onto to me and the drone just never bothers to move and keep following me. Almost like it’s in spotlight mode. Every time it lets me go right out of tracking and never moves to keep up. I hear the smart controller say tracking lost.

Last edited:
2nd attempt worked like crap too. It locks onto to me and the drone just never bothers to move and keep following me. Almost like it’s in spotlight mode. Every time it lets me go right out of tracking and never moves to keep up. I hear the smart controller say tracking lost.
I played with active track other day, having my son and dog running on a field. Overall it works as expected, and it is a simple contrast driven logic. I had a tan jacket, my son had black one. Grass on a field was all dead, so both of us had been recognized fine. But, as i walked next to my son, 2out of 3 times tracking switched on him. Once it was on him, it was dead on. He ran, walked, i tried all modes -drone was following him fine. Also, it never switched from him onto me.

So, i concluded that it is all about contrast. Shape does not seem to matter, as he would sit by the dog, get a ball, walk - i think all that mattered was his black jacket over grey dead grass.
If you want to use this feature - figure out how to make your target be a point of max contrast in the tracking area.

Last edited:
I’m neon green with entire surrounding white. Not sure there is much more contrast then that out there lol. And it simply will not not.

Expanding on the contrast theme. It’s possible that the tracking system does not use color information but only luminance values (think black and white). Neon green, especially a bright neon green, would look fairly white without the color information. Try a black, or dark jacket.

Jacket has a bunch of black. The large seat is black. I’ve just come to the conclusion active track needs a lot of improvement still.

Expanding on the contrast theme. It’s possible that the tracking system does not use color information but only luminance values (think black and white). Neon green, especially a bright neon green, would look fairly white without the color information. Try a black, or dark jacket.

Watch this active track test. I took this pretty much on the first day I got my M2P last August so It has the first released firmware loaded.
I believe the magic here is that I wore a very bright T-shirt which it could lock on very successfully even through obstructions. I do agree that CONTRAST is the main factor - not sure to what extent color plays into it.

Have you given any thought that your aircraft might have a defect? I have seen many videos of the Mavic 2 tracking skiers flawlessly. Maybe someone could reproduce your situation using a different drone?

So I tried follow me mode once when walking and it followed me fine.

This last weekend I took a snowmobiling trip. Was all excited to get out on the open frozen lake and do follow me mode.

I tried about 100x and it worked like complete ****. I would select myself on the snowmobile a box with “go” would pop up, I touch that and then I was selected. I tried all diff heights. Diff angles. All 3 follow me mode. It just plain never worked. I even went as slow as 2mph. The **** thing just wouldn’t follow me. I’d watch myself go out of site and then I would become unselected. I noticed a slow/fast mode too and tried both. Like one time it managed to follow me at about 4mph for 10 seconds then lost me again. For reference on colors: It was a bright green snowmobile on a white snow covered frozen lake. My gear was reflective orange and green with a black helmet.

Is follow me mode really this pathetic? I thought activetrack 2.0 was supposed to be decent. I was sorely disappointed with my experience.
On some of those features I had realize myself that I did not scroll all the way to the bottom to reveal the actual start button , That could have been your problem

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett