DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Actual Mini 2 Flying Cooked/tilted (not gimbal)

jordye

Reactions
Hey everyone. I’ve been flying my drone for a handful of months and had a mishap happen about a month ago where I didn’t have a place to land and tried to grab and turn it upside down. Sliced my hand up but got it to turn off. Since then I’ve noticed occasionally the mini will hover and fly tilted, but the gimbal still works- not showing any ill effect on video. I replaced two propellers (both back right propellers) after the incident because they were cracked. I’ve also noticed a little more drifting than I remember before this happened, both up and down and side to side. Should I use the warranty or is there a solution I can do myself? Thanks!

That is normal, more likely just the props , are out of balance. Starting with a complete new set just might work.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

@jordye ,when the drone flies at an angle ,it means that the IMU and ESCs could have a possible conflict ,which causes an imbalance of thrust to the motors to keep the drone level ,it looks very similar to the drone leaning into the wind ,as it tries to hold position,as well as changing all the props do an IMU calibration as well ,then afterwards find a open wind free place ,indoors if you have a large enough room ,take off and hover and see if the drone is stable ,and level
if it still leans in one particular direction ,then if you have refresh or damage cover use it to get a replacement

@jordye ,when the drone flies at an angle ,it means that the IMU and ESCs could have a possible conflict ,which causes an imbalance of thrust to the motors to keep the drone level ,it looks very similar to the drone leaning into the wind ,as it tries to hold position,as well as changing all the props do an IMU calibration as well ,then afterwards find a open wind free place ,indoors if you have a large enough room ,take off and hover and see if the drone is stable ,and level
if it still leans in one particular direction ,then if you have refresh or damage cover use it to get a replacement
I’ll definitely calibrate after switching props. Hopefully that’s all it is, but I do have refresh thankfully

Since then I’ve noticed occasionally the mini will hover and fly tilted, but the gimbal still works- not showing any ill effect on video.
It's quite normal for your drone to tilt or roll to maintain position if there is any wind.
Tilting is perfectly normal when it's flying forward.
In still air it should stay level while hover.

If yours has a consistent issue with staying level when hovering in still air, the obvious thing to do would be recalibrating the IMU, but if you are only noticing it occasionally, there may be no problem that needs "fixing".

It's quite normal for your drone to tilt or roll to maintain position if there is any wind.
Tilting is perfectly normal when it's flying forward.
In still air it should stay level while hover.

If yours has a consistent issue with staying level when hovering in still air, the obvious thing to do would be recalibrating the IMU, but if you are only noticing it occasionally, there may be no problem that needs "fixing".
If it's tilted but holding position, then the only explanation is that it's reacting to wind.

If it's tilted but holding position, then the only explanation is that it's reacting to wind.
But if there's no wind, that suggests that the IMU was calibrated on a non-level surface.

But if there's no wind, that suggests that the IMU was calibrated on a non-level surface.
The direction of the thrust can't be changed, so tilting will always cause a sideways force, regardless of calibration. If the calibration is off and that causes the drone to tilt, it will move sideways. If it's tilted but holding position, then the only explanation is that it's reacting to wind.

I’ve been flying my drone for a handful of months and had a mishap happen about a month ago where I didn’t have a place to land and tried to grab and turn it upside down. Sliced my hand up but got it to turn off.

I do not know why someone who spent hundreds of dollars on their drone insist on treating it like it's some kind of creature that need to be "captured and killed" (grabbed-snatched out of the air and then flipped over violently (so the IMU senses the nonflying position and shuts the motors down…).

No wonder why your drone "bit" you…

Here is a link to instruct you on the proper method to hand launch and hand catch and it's all without ripping up the guts of your little drone. It contains two videos, one for each type of controller…

Treat your drone with respect and you will not have these problems nor have to spend hundreds more repairing the damage…

Whenever a new member joins our forum, this is the advice I offer them…

"Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…"

I cannot promise you will never have Gimbal problems again, but then it will from Wear and tear," not from "abuse."

Will do! I also noticed that, when free spinning the props, one side ratchets more than the other. Could this be an issue as well or is that normal?
That is apparently a characteristic of the motors related to the permanent magnets in them.

There was a good discussion here about a week ago among people who are well informed about brushless motors like these. Try searching with the word "ratchet." it was also used in the original question, though it's not accurate for describing how the props and motors rotate

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada