DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Add a thermal camera to MA2 to detect abnormalities in the environment.

mahad

Reactions
I want to add a thermal camera to my Mavic Air2 so I can detect people in an environment with extremely high temperatures. Is there a way I can attach a thermal camera as a replacement for the original or externally connect it, if so kindly guide me.

I would say replacing the original camera with a flir cam might be problematic, unless you are an electronics pro or like hacking equipment heavily.
I'd say DJI systems are set, be hard to modify I imagine.

Better to do something like this . . .

Or this . . .

Are you and Furqan working on the same project ? Uni type project ?

Thermal Camera

Both in Pakistan, both about same age, same inquiry.

I would say replacing the original camera with a flir cam might be problematic, unless you are an electronics pro or like hacking equipment heavily.
I'd say DJI systems are set, be hard to modify I imagine.

Better to do something like this . . .

Or this . . .

Are you and Furqan working on the same project ? Uni type project ?

Thermal Camera

Both in Pakistan, both about same age, same inquiry.
Yes we are doing our fyp.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Do the videos help, or must you modify a drone more radically ?
The cost of using the thermal camera is a lot more than the drone itself rather than doing it we could shift to Mavic 2 or enterprise but the university won't buy another drone. Therefore we are now switching our idea toward a real-time surveillance system (We also have a bunch of other ideas but we don't have their dataset). This will need high processing power so a person suggested shifting to the android OS on PC as we only have mobile SDK for MA2.

Can you suggest the best OS and best processor for real-time processing?

A good thermal camera is very expensive, not to mention the seperate video feed transmission / extra viewing device needed for viewing the thermal imagery.
Unfortunately this is no doubt less costly than a drone made with the thermal option / capability.
If you need to detect people in a high temperature environment, I imagine you will need a really high res / high quality setup too, even then you might have trouble differentiating people in the surroundings.
I only reply with what thermal camera knowledge I have managed to glean from the forum here, I can’t say what system or OS might suit, maybe others here can also contribute to your project dilemma and ways you could look at.

Reactions: Furqan Ahmed
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique