DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Add Arkansas to the no fly list (All State Parks)

I was informed yesterday, that it is now not legal to fly a drone in any of the State Parks in Arkansas. Apparently this just went into effect about a week ago and the main website has not been updated.

I was flying at Petit Jean State Park, and the ranger there was who told me about the new policy.

Needless to say, main reason for the change, is continuous inappropriate flights mainly in congested areas where large number of people tend to be.

As a 35 year resident of the State of Arkansas, and professional photographer (mainly stills), this is a tragic move, and odds are it will not ever be changed. Arkansas has a huge number of state parks, many of which have wonderful scenic considerations, especially when taken from the air.

I did find out that a "permit" can be requested, however I do not know the extent of what the permit requires i.e. 107 license? and how long the permit will last.

This still leaves a lot of public land, in national forests for flights, but the loss of the Arkansas State Parks is a real blow.

Paul Caldwell
Hi Paul, I live in northwest Arkansas (Walmart). Honestly, I had thought all of the state parks were already no fly zones. I had wanted to film in the Pea Ridge military park, and was given an adamant "No drones allowed" However, does the law stipulate that the pilot is standing in the park, or the drone is flying over? Technically, there is a difference.
By coincidence, I passed the 107 just yesterday. I don't know if that will aide in exceptions/permits, but I do believe the laws will continue to tighten, and that a 107 will become inevitable.
By contrast, come April 30th LAANC will be rolled out to this part of the country (first in the nation outside of beta testing) wherein certain organizations/apps like Airmap will grant instant access for drone flying. This is in lieu of permission from control towers, or waivers via FAA (I think). This is a huge easing of the permission process. So, it seems like the left hand may not be talking to the right hand. The Federal government may be easing restrictions while state governments are tightening.

Reactions: jcross
You never fly out of LOS of course.

nope. the MP is part of my business. would i leave a jib & camera on a remote control on the other side of a tree line & just walk away? no, i wouldn't. same thing. if i can't see it, i'm not being responsible. that said - at my core, i am against government restriction of any kind. but, if you're over 400' high, you REALLY can't see it. if you're too far away, you can't see it.

Reactions: chadrob30
Mount Nebo State Park: Just confirming about flying drones in Arkansas parks.
Just received a E-mail from Arkansas state parks" Arkansas State Parks current procedures is to ban all unmanned Aircraft systems activities ASP with the exception of approval by the Director of ASP through a special use permit. Permit asks for UAS
registration number, plus proof of liability insurance. And, have to agree to initial 11 conditions that require adherence to FAA safety guideline. Depends how much time you
a person wants to spend to full all the requirements, they make you jump through a lot of hops to fly in Arkansas State Parks, The permit is free, but you sign on the dotted line for this special permit, holding the Pilot responsible for any damage or injury to persons or property.

Thanks for the update, I have emailed them but not heard back. The only issue I have is the liability insurance? That's a bit open door for sure.

As for me, areas I plan to fly are all in areas where there won't be any people around, but still will check on the liability issue.

Paul Caldwell

Paul: Did you e-mail to [email protected]?
I have to e-mail the drone permit request form. To the Park Director for approval,
Am instructed to send completed form, registration certificate, and copy of liability
insurance to that E-mail address. The address if you want to send a letter is
Arkansas State Park
One Capitol Mall Suite
Little Rock, AR 72201
(501) 682-7743
(501)682-1364 Fax
Hope it does not take as long to get in touch with them.

Yes, it is a shame and many states are following suit.
We can blame idiot pilots, but it is also not just that. Part of the problem is the innability or unwillingness of the parks to find a workable solution to accommodate those of us who would affect no one.
I’m lucky, I shot Mt Nebo, a couple of years ago when it was still legal.
I’m sure you can still launch a hang glider or parasail from there but nope, not a drone.
I dont know about "those who would affect no one". As a nature lover, still photographer and part 107 pilot i can see the noise would be an issue for me if i Weren't flying. But that having been said, way less damage to the terra than 4 wheelers or mountain bikes.

Good point on the hang gliders, yes still possible, no permits, no FAA pilot 107, just guts.

They also of course still allow 4-wheelers, which do a lot more damage as many are driven off where they are supposed to be. But that is a different story.

Just forces me to go ahead and go for the 107, as it seems that is going to be required at a minimum.

Paul
He Paul, you need to do that (107) any, as a professional. It sure has been unfair, but, LAANC should help a great deal. John

I'm in Fort Smith and was told at least two years ago that I couldn't fly over the National Historic Site downtown. Eventually anything "government controlled" will be off limits. A few years ago when the tornado hit Mayflower, a drone pilot was almost fined $10,000 for "interfering with government operations" lol. He was simply filming the aftermath of the tornado. Total garbage these rules have become. It's like us UAV pilots are the new nuisances...
There is NO pro. photography in NHS. that is unless you are somebody. I was shooting adjacent and they came to warm me. Yet when shooting for an international motor manufacturer I was allowed to shoot anywhere any way in Judge Parkers Courtroom with studio flash lighting. I think generally on camera flash is not allowed there (UV). It is certainly who you know and who you are and I generally dont play the game. It only gets worse as people push the limits.

nope. the MP is part of my business. would i leave a jib & camera on a remote control on the other side of a tree line & just walk away? no, i wouldn't. same thing. if i can't see it, i'm not being responsible. that said - at my core, i am against government restriction of any kind. but, if you're over 400' high, you REALLY can't see it. if you're too far away, you can't see it.
BUT, you are responsible for it!

Hello jcross, yes, I fully agree, 107 is part of it for me. Just started the study packet. Quite a lot of info.

Paul Caldwell

Ok, so the law is clear we can start from outside then over fly it, but it's non sense right? The consequence of starting from inside is the same in the end right?

Plus you have to meet a ranger wise enough to know about this, did someone already encountered one after being seen flying over a state park but starting from outside? Did they simply let it go?
It’s a jurisdiction thing. A state can’t make a law over airspace when the FAA controls it, but they can make laws about what you do on the ground.

I dont know about "those who would affect no one". As a nature lover, still photographer and part 107 pilot i can see the noise would be an issue for me if i Weren't flying. But that having been said, way less damage to the terra than 4 wheelers or mountain bikes.
My wife and I visited all 36 parks in our state. We are self employed so we were able to go on weekdays in many cases. I cannot even count the number of times when we saw or encountered no one, repeat NO ONE anywhere in the park.
I have also visited many areas of the Great Smoky Mts, and Blue Ridge Parkway where there was not a single soul there to be disturbed.
To simply call millions of acres of unoccupied land, off limits, because someone might hear the sound of a drone (again nothing compared to a Harley Davidson) is ridiculous and disingenuous.

Reactions: Paul2660
Paul: Did you e-mail to [email protected]?
I have to e-mail the drone permit request form. To the Park Director for approval,
Am instructed to send completed form, registration certificate, and copy of liability
insurance to that E-mail address. The address if you want to send a letter is
Arkansas State Park
One Capitol Mall Suite
Little Rock, AR 72201
(501) 682-7743
(501)682-1364 Fax
Hope it does not take as long to get in touch with them.
Paul: My permit was denied. "The attached insurance is a homeowners policy and does not specifically state drone/Unmanned Aircraft System Coverage. SECONDLY, Arkansas State Park's primary mission is to protect state park property & resources and insure the safety & security of our visitors." UAS are considered to be mechanized equipment and cannot take off and land in designated areas. Back to the drawing board for me Paul. Going to contact my insurance carrier
for more descriptive language for drone coverage.

What actually concerns me more Is the 2nd part, where they are stating UAS are considered mechanized equipment.....cannot take off and land in designated areas...

For sure a Drone being flown with the right equipment can be taken off and landed in a designated area.

The permit form, has made it very difficult IMO as they are asking for a specific park, date, time etc. One permit for one flight it what it seems as you would file a flight plan with an airplane. Sadly, due to weather, wind, conditions etc, at least in Arkansas, it’s very difficult to pin down an exact time that one would want to fly.

I had hoped the permit would allow a date range, and allow multiple parks to be covered.

Paul Caldwell

As I stated above, once the government takes away it rarely gives back. This is the danger with folks being okay with letting agencies arbitrarily decide what is best, without. stakeholder input.

State, and local interests being able to dictate where we can and cannot takeoff, has the potential to eventually consume our hobby.

For someone who is interested in commercial operation, you should also be concerned with the trend toward allowing these entities to regulate all drones, commercial or otherwise.

Reactions: Thwyllo
Hello Robert, yes I am concerned but since there are folks that choose to fly beyond normal limits, and post such flights on youtube and other instant gratification sites, it's only a matter a time before any flights in public areas (with a wide definition on public) will be off limits.
I can also understand why the State Parks want to see liability coverage. With many folks flying way beyond VLOS (just reading this site and others shows the tend to go past VLOS), plus the Mavic makes that very easy to do. For my work, the need to file a flight plan is not an issue or the insurance. It's the fact that the State seems to want a pilot to pick a very specific window of time to make the flight, which you really can't do, conditions just don't tend to allow that. My plan has always been to launch from non public spots, and fly over areas of a specific park that are not going to have people congregated around. I am still going to send in a permit request, but with a good bit of more details as to where and when I would like to fly.

The view afforded by drones for still work is really a wonderful aspect to photography. Sadly as the 20MP cameras are just starting to become available the ability to use them will be possibly heavily restricted. My main reason for not flying a P4 is noise, simple. It's so much louder than a Mavic PP and just causes more disruption. For that matter the Spark also tends to catch more notice than the MPP, do to the pitch of the blades, they have a much more swarm of bees like noise. My hope for the MPP II is that the 20MP level will be reached, but at the same noise level of the current MPP.

Paul Caldwell

Hello Robert, yes I am concerned but since there are folks that choose to fly beyond normal limits, and post such flights on youtube and other instant gratification sites, it's only a matter a time before any flights in public areas (with a wide definition on public) will be off limits.
I can also understand why the State Parks want to see liability coverage. With many folks flying way beyond VLOS (just reading this site and others shows the tend to go past VLOS), plus the Mavic makes that very easy to do. For my work, the need to file a flight plan is not an issue or the insurance. It's the fact that the State seems to want a pilot to pick a very specific window of time to make the flight, which you really can't do, conditions just don't tend to allow that. My plan has always been to launch from non public spots, and fly over areas of a specific park that are not going to have people congregated around. I am still going to send in a permit request, but with a good bit of more details as to where and when I would like to fly.

The view afforded by drones for still work is really a wonderful aspect to photography. Sadly as the 20MP cameras are just starting to become available the ability to use them will be possibly heavily restricted. My main reason for not flying a P4 is noise, simple. It's so much louder than a Mavic PP and just causes more disruption. For that matter the Spark also tends to catch more notice than the MPP, do to the pitch of the blades, they have a much more swarm of bees like noise. My hope for the MPP II is that the 20MP level will be reached, but at the same noise level of the current MPP.

Paul Caldwell
Yes, government restrictions always come with lots of impossible hoops to jump through, forcing many like us, who are honest, to just give up.

It's mid June, and I can't find any information on drones being banned in Arkansas State Parks--even the overzealous AirMap site doesn't show a restriction (at least at the park I'm considering visiting). Anyone seen any official documentation on this yet?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580