DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Add Arkansas to the no fly list (All State Parks)

Paul2660

Reactions
I was informed yesterday, that it is now not legal to fly a drone in any of the State Parks in Arkansas. Apparently this just went into effect about a week ago and the main website has not been updated.

I was flying at Petit Jean State Park, and the ranger there was who told me about the new policy.

Needless to say, main reason for the change, is continuous inappropriate flights mainly in congested areas where large number of people tend to be.

As a 35 year resident of the State of Arkansas, and professional photographer (mainly stills), this is a tragic move, and odds are it will not ever be changed. Arkansas has a huge number of state parks, many of which have wonderful scenic considerations, especially when taken from the air.

I did find out that a "permit" can be requested, however I do not know the extent of what the permit requires i.e. 107 license? and how long the permit will last.

This still leaves a lot of public land, in national forests for flights, but the loss of the Arkansas State Parks is a real blow.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: jcross
I was informed yesterday, that it is now not legal to fly a drone in any of the State Parks in Arkansas. Apparently this just went into effect about a week ago and the main website has not been updated.

I was flying at Petit Jean State Park, and the ranger there was who told me about the new policy.

Needless to say, main reason for the change, is continuous inappropriate flights mainly in congested areas where large number of people tend to be.

As a 35 year resident of the State of Arkansas, and professional photographer (mainly stills), this is a tragic move, and odds are it will not ever be changed. Arkansas has a huge number of state parks, many of which have wonderful scenic considerations, especially when taken from the air.

I did find out that a "permit" can be requested, however I do not know the extent of what the permit requires i.e. 107 license? and how long the permit will last.

This still leaves a lot of public land, in national forests for flights, but the loss of the Arkansas State Parks is a real blow.

Paul Caldwell
Yes, it is a shame and many states are following suit.
We can blame idiot pilots, but it is also not just that. Part of the problem is the innability or unwillingness of the parks to find a workable solution to accommodate those of us who would affect no one.
I’m lucky, I shot Mt Nebo, a couple of years ago when it was still legal.
I’m sure you can still launch a hang glider or parasail from there but nope, not a drone.

Good point on the hang gliders, yes still possible, no permits, no FAA pilot 107, just guts.

They also of course still allow 4-wheelers, which do a lot more damage as many are driven off where they are supposed to be. But that is a different story.

Just forces me to go ahead and go for the 107, as it seems that is going to be required at a minimum.

Paul

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Good point on the hang gliders, yes still possible, no permits, no FAA pilot 107, just guts.

They also of course still allow 4-wheelers, which do a lot more damage as many are driven off where they are supposed to be. But that is a different story.

Just forces me to go ahead and go for the 107, as it seems that is going to be required at a minimum.

Paul
Get your 107 for sure, but be advised that here in my state, at least, it is almost impossible to get authorization unless it is for officially sanctioned media companies that they themselves are contracted with, and have a specific project for.

Same with National Parks. It just isn't going to happen. Their temporary ban (2014) will probably never be lifted, and almost no one gets in.

Sad thing we are going to have to accept is millions and millions of acres and more every day are being denied to a select group of photographers/videographers, simply because we get ours from the air.

We are fighting a losing battle, and public opinion is not on our side either, as many, including some on this forum, insist we have no right to be there in the first place.

When governments take something away, they almost never give it back and their knee jerk reactions, (as opposed to researching and accommodating multiple public interests) can have long lasting, unintended consequences, for many.

Sorry, wasn't really meant to be a rant, but kinda turned out that way.

You could probably do quite a bit of decent flights over some of the State Parks if you simply take-off from outside of the Parks. Maybe, maybe not but something to consider. I still would not fly over congested areas, but there is a lot of remote areas that may be possible that way.

Reactions: Paul2660
Good point. And I am looking into some new access points.

Mavic with its range is an amazing tool.

Paul

Reactions: borzoiboy
You could probably do quite a bit of decent flights over some of the State Parks if you simply take-off from outside of the Parks. Maybe, maybe not but something to consider. I still would not fly over congested areas, but there is a lot of remote areas that may be possible that way.
Yes, you're correct. That is still perfectly legal. I've even had some Rangers confirm this.

Reactions: borzoiboy
Ok, so the law is clear we can start from outside then over fly it, but it's non sense right? The consequence of starting from inside is the same in the end right?

Plus you have to meet a ranger wise enough to know about this, did someone already encountered one after being seen flying over a state park but starting from outside? Did they simply let it go?

Ok, so the law is clear we can start from outside then over fly it, but it's non sense right? The consequence of starting from inside is the same in the end right?

Plus you have to meet a ranger wise enough to know about this, did someone already encountered one after being seen flying over a state park but starting from outside? Did they simply let it go?
Yes, I had a NPS Ranger stop me while flying just inside the park boundaries, (I actually thought I was just outside) He asked me to land and then pointed to a spot about 100 yards away, and said "launch from there and fly over the park all you want" That is exactly what I did.

Good info. Thanks. Air space in such areas is still free to all.

Paul

So what's the trick to reach inner location? I mean beyond VLOS?

Could be annoying when park's big right?
Plus, aren't they all bigggg?

You will be flying beyond VLOS. At least in my area. 2600 to 5200 feet. No way to see it with binoculars. The range of the Mavic without mods is impressive but you have to make the call on VLOS. I understand the implications in regards to FAA regulations.

Paul

So what's the trick to reach inner location? I mean beyond VLOS?

Could be annoying when park's big right?
Plus, aren't they all bigggg?
Flying BVLOS isn’t going to be a solution and will just piss them off.

All I'm saying here is, as long as you take off outside the park, you shouldn't need to worry about straying over park airspace occasionally.

Reactions: jcross
The way I was told by a Tn Park Ranger when i had asked was the rules say no but if he had no complaints he wasn't coming to look for a drone lol.

And what about taking off from outside and operating it from inside?

Is it a grey area or foreseen by the law also so forbidden?

I'll never fly BVLOS, I'm still a rookie but just wondering.. Never did it, on the contrary, I've got frustrated not being able to go beyond and have the good angle I wanted..

I realize this is a bit off topic, the BVLOS issue however is an interesting one.

With my normal vision, and a Mavic, once I am over 400 feet high, for me it's gone to visual if I look down then back, trying to find it in the sky is next to impossible. If you take it out over 400 feet against tree cover or even above tree cover and then again look away, trying to re-atain it is next to impossible. A P4 in white may be a lot easier to pick up, and it's considerably larger.

With the range of the Mavic, being about 4 miles, you have the ability to fly way beyond VLOS, and thus are totally dependent on the video and controller feedback.

From reading posts on this forum and others, it would seem that most pilots are beyond VLOS.

Range/response of the Mavic is incredible.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
I'm in Fort Smith and was told at least two years ago that I couldn't fly over the National Historic Site downtown. Eventually anything "government controlled" will be off limits. A few years ago when the tornado hit Mayflower, a drone pilot was almost fined $10,000 for "interfering with government operations" lol. He was simply filming the aftermath of the tornado. Total garbage these rules have become. It's like us UAV pilots are the new nuisances...

When governments take something away, they almost never give it back and their knee jerk reactions, (as opposed to researching and accommodating multiple public interests) can have long lasting, unintended consequences, for many..

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Milton Friedman

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998