DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Add Arkansas to the no fly list (All State Parks)

They are officially banned. Call the parks and tourism office in Little Rock. It’s unfortunate the state can’t get the info posted to their website. However just call any Park visitors center and they will give you the details.

It’s never been posted to their website. I don’t know why.

You need to ask for a permit which lists day hours location you will fly. You also need proof of love liability insurance. Not State Farm drone ever insurance. A separate policy.

All State Parks are no fly zones. National Forest is OK. Buffalo National River NFZ.

State Park rangers will immediately stop you. So far no fines. Permit is approved by Director of Patks and Tourism.

Feel free to PM me if you need a copy of permit request or any other questions.

107 certificates make no difference still need permission from parks India tourism.

Paul Caldwell

Thanks Paul--just seems ridiculous that there is no documentation on the ban; and that the only way you find out is verbally from an annoyed ranger or if you call HQ. I have $1 million liability insurance; but wife and I are just driving through; and it's not worth trying to pin down the exact time I plan to fly for a permit--guess I'll just stick to I-40.

I hate that Arkansas did this as there is plenty of room for flights in remote spots where people are not as common.

If you are crossing the full State on I-40 think about a quick detour at Ozark. Highway 23. Head up north about 20 miles to the Crossing of the Mulberry River. Pretty spot and only about 8 to 10 miles from interstate.

Paul C

Reactions: skyeboysteve
It's mid June, and I can't find any information on drones being banned in Arkansas State Parks--even the overzealous AirMap site doesn't show a restriction (at least at the park I'm considering visiting). Anyone seen any official documentation on this yet?
I live in Arkansas - NWA. I've not heard of any areas banned, or seen signs. Here's a link that might help
Arkansas – State Drone Law

I live in Arkansas - NWA. I've not heard of any areas banned, or seen signs. Here's a link that might help
Arkansas – State Drone Law

I am also a resident, and the author of the first post. Currently all State Parks have a no fly rule, even though it's not posted anywhere.

The two pieces you have posted are the generic law that covers the entire state, a smaller part of the Law, and only covers Infrastructure. It's my understanding, this was mainly passed to stop independent flights over the state Capital, and over Arkansas Nuclear One.

I recommend you call the office of the Director of Arkansas State Parks in Little Rock, net, no drones are allowed in Arkansas State Parks, unless you get a permit, signed by the Director of the Arkansas State Parks.

I was personally stopped in early March, by a ranger, at Petit Jean State Park. He politely told me that no drones were allowed, in Arkansas State Parks. I asked him when this was passed, he could not tell me the exact date. Instead he told me to email the Directors office, which I did. I had made 3 previous flights from Petit Jean, with no issues, and was surprised by this. But went ahead and emailed and called the Directors Office in Little Rock. I also at the time of being stopped asked the Ranger on Petit Jean, why nothing was showing on the official website for Arkansas State Parks, he had no answer but did give me the number of the office in Little Rock to follow up with.

They immediately replied, to me, confirming that no flights were to be allowed, without a permit. The permit form was then forwarded to me the next day. When I saw how detailed it was, and the fact that you had to pick a day, and list the hours you wanted to fly, I decided not fill it out. I did call back and ask if a range of dates could be considered, but did not get a response.

The fact that Arkansas has not listed this, and or posted signs, puzzles me, however the series of emails I received, along with my phone calls, to Petit Jean, Mt Nebo, Mt Magazine, and Pinnacle Mountain State Park, all confirmed the fact that currently no flights are allowed without the permit.

I am on the road, but will copy the permit request and add it later on.

Paul Caldwell

220F7705-6A70-4474-A088-2D7D460F387E.jpeg Here is a copy of the permit request form. Please note that sign off is by Mr Grady Spann. Director of Arkansas State Parks.

Reactions: skyeboysteve
I hate that Arkansas did this as there is plenty of room for flights in remote spots where people are not as common.

If you are crossing the full State on I-40 think about a quick detour at Ozark. Highway 23. Head up north about 20 miles to the Crossing of the Mulberry River. Pretty spot and only about 8 to 10 miles from interstate.

Paul C
Thanks Paul... yeah, actually a friend of mine was suggesting The Pig Trail Scenic Byway as well; appreciate your more specific location on that road not too far from the freeway!

Hate to bring up an older thread and beat on this horse. I've heard of this ban, however I can't find ANY info on a law being passed through the legislation or any info on the Parks page. Did somebody just make something up and called it 'official'? I live near Petit Jean and would like to fly drone in places. Would do so during the week and off hours, because the place is busy during nice weekends.

I am the OP. Look up a few posts and you will see a picture of the actual form that has to be filled out.

Or just go and fly on Petit Jean. You will quickly find a ranger asking you to land immediately. They are very aware of the state laws for drone flights in state parks and love to enforce them. They are on patrol most of the day. If you fly in a remote area within the park you may not get noticed but they don’t want flights without a permit.

Nothing made up just the facts that were presented to me by the directors office. It’s very official as the permit comes from the office of the Director of the Arkansas state parks. No legislation is required as it covers only flights within State Parks which are already governed by Arkansas.

Throughout this post there is plenty of information to allow you realize it’s for real and not made up. I first posted this in March after I was told not to fly by a park ranger on Petit Jean. I then followed up with the Arkansas State Parks both in writing and phone and they provided me the details. The form was sent to me by the Director of Arkansas state parks secretary. Please review the form. It’s quite clear they want any and all flights permitted regardless if you are 107 certified or not.

Or you can call them directly

As to why it’s not on any website I can’t answer as it should be. But any state park requires a permit and that permit only covers a single day and time. Very limited. But currently the law for all State Parks. National Forest is still ok. And I believe you can fly over a State park but can not take off or land within one.

Paul Caldwell

I understand, I read the thread and saw the form. Not accusing you of putting out false info, just seeing if the directives given to the rangers had teeth, i.e. if just a memo sent out saying it was now 'illegal' or if there were actual laws passed stating so. Just the cynic in me I guess. Also looking at the form, it is dated 2016, long before people think the law was passed, which going by this thread, was perhaps earlier this year.

I know some people on Petit Jean and will inquire.

Fully understand, it's very frustrating, did not mean to come across harsh. The form itself is a mess as there is really no way to pick an hour of time to fly, and then go there, and hope the wind, rain, clouds, etc are just right. I asked for a block of time like a week or so, but never got anywhere.

I was flying often from around Pinnacle state park from Jan to March, great spots around there to fly, low population and great scenic area with Lake Mamuelle so close. I made a couple of flights from Petit Jean, and Nebo, and then on my 3rd flight from Petit Jean from Stouts point around 3:30 or so afternoon, I had not been up 3 minutes when one of the local rangers came by, stopped and told me to get the drone down, now. Stayed there until I landed. I asked him the same questions, its not posted, on the web, or in the park, etc. and he told me that they State Parks just passed it in March for drones. The UAV form apparently goes back to RC aircraft in general. and I agree is unclear due to date. However on Petit Jean, they had a lot of issues in 2017 around Cedar Falls with flights around the falls and such and had at least one close call with a drone and group of people.

They are also bit concerned on the Airport on to of Petit jean, however it's a light use field but flights do need to be aware of the field.

Nebo and Petit Jean both are great places to fly as is Mt Magazine, but all have restrictions for permitted flight as I understand it.

It would be great if you hear differently from your contacts as I agree there are plenty of places to fly in all 3 locations in off times of the year where you can get up and not be around people.

From what I determined, the main issue the State Parks have is Liability insurance, I fully understand that, and I have a policy to cover my flights. But I gave up trying to pick a time to put down for the permit, and went back to areas I know well in the Nat Forest.

Paul Caldwell

So, instead of using cute little drones for photography that go far but are much harder to see, thus resticting VLOS, why not use honking big drones filled with mostly air to keep the weight down to extend VLOS? I don’t remember seeing any Part 107 regulations on size in the FAA rules, only weight restrictions. :)

Sorry about those regs, guys. Waiting for California State Parks to follow. When it does, I guess I will resort back to pole and kite photography.

Last edited:
It has been said above, no flights in parks but what are the statute numbers of the laws? Has this been a law passed by the state legislature and signed by the governor or is this a regulation put into play by the park administration?

I was informed yesterday, that it is now not legal to fly a drone in any of the State Parks in Arkansas. Apparently this just went into effect about a week ago and the main website has not been updated.

I was flying at Petit Jean State Park, and the ranger there was who told me about the new policy.

Needless to say, main reason for the change, is continuous inappropriate flights mainly in congested areas where large number of people tend to be.

As a 35 year resident of the State of Arkansas, and professional photographer (mainly stills), this is a tragic move, and odds are it will not ever be changed. Arkansas has a huge number of state parks, many of which have wonderful scenic considerations, especially when taken from the air.

I did find out that a "permit" can be requested, however I do not know the extent of what the permit requires i.e. 107 license? and how long the permit will last.

This still leaves a lot of public land, in national forests for flights, but the loss of the Arkansas State Parks is a real blow.

Paul Caldwell
I called on this yesterday - 10/26/18, and yes a 107 is required, and liability insurance.
I asked the woman I was speaking with (Little Rock), if they had begun to map out areas within the parks that are drone friendly, and of course, no was her reply.
That question was on the heals of asking for a copy of the permission form be emailed to me, and had any hobbyist requests ever been approved, and she stated that a few had.
I told her that we need to work toward a compromise. She was mildly interested in the prospects of a compromise.
I have to call her again as I have yet to receive the permission form.
When I speak with her, I'll make note of her name. I'll forward her name through this thread, and may be collectively we can get that ball rolling.
It's in our best interest to organize.
One possibility is a Facebook group known as Drones over Arkansas. The group is lead by Drew Shoptaw. Drew has spoken about drones at Hobbs State Park in NWA, which is kind of ironic being that Hobbs is a state park, and the speaking engagement was the at least the second year in a row.
Drew may have contributed to this thread.
Who knows, over time we may be able to create a model for other states to follow, then we can state hop and fly.
If this gets off the ground, we may be best served by picking a handful of state parks to test; maybe one in each corner of the state, and one in the middle.
Any interest from anyone?

They can only controll the park, NOT the airspace ABOVE the park, only the FAA can do that. They cannot stop you from flying into the airspace above. Take off and land from a public road and you are good to go

They can only controll the park, NOT the airspace ABOVE the park, only the FAA can do that. They cannot stop you from flying into the airspace above. Take off and land from a public road and you are good to go

Be careful with that, the rangers or police can still give you a fine, or even a mandatory appearance in court ticket, even if they are wrong. And many public roads in parks are administratively part of the park, unless it is in a “cherry stem” border, and bordering roads may also be included. Which means their rules go, even on the public road. But it all depends on the park boundaries and management plan. Even if you are right, it will still take your time away from work, etc., to research and defend yourself against the ticket you get in court.

I live in the Bentonville area and have found this thread very interesting. I'm fairly new to drones having owned a Parrot several years ago but I recently purchased a Mavic Air and I'm looking forward to flying this coming year. It's disappointing to learn that the many parks here in Arkansas are totally off limits. I heard that Federal land/parks are not generally restricted other than sensitive areas that are always off limits. Can anyone from my neck of the woods shed light on places that one can still fly without breaking the law?

i am going to say you are not "good-to-go." While from a factual basis I agree that you are correct. The Park Rangers and the local Gendarmes probably don't understand the law. I would be very cautious flying where "they believe" drones are prohibited. You may be correct but that still won't save you when shizzle goes sideways.

There is hope. The state i live in had banned flights in National parks (National parks in Australia are an individual state jusistriction)
The state recently lifted the ban and now all you need is to comply with CASA and park rules such as not harassing animals. A big win.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13