DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adding Media Here

Reactions
So I just uploaded my first pics here under the "Media" section, but a lot of my best work said it was too big to add to the forum? Are there file limits for new members or file limits in general? I also tried to upload a video that it wouldn't let me do. :/

For videos I have always uploaded it to YouTube and then post the link here. For photos I'm sure there is a file size limit, just not aware of what it is. Best to resize photos to 2 MB png or jpg.

Reactions: ThugMuffin1990
So I just uploaded my first pics here under the "Media" section, but a lot of my best work said it was too big to add to the forum? Are there file limits for new members or file limits in general? I also tried to upload a video that it wouldn't let me do. :/
Videos need to be submitted through a third party link such as You Tube , or Vimeo. Vimeo has a free membership for trial purposes. I use it for several years then upgrade to 20GB /month for 5 GB per month for a nominal fee. Still images should be less than about 2 MB. For these, I open them in Photoshop, and save them as a JPEG for less than 1.3-1.5 MB.

Last edited:
I need to clarify Vimeo rates- Free plan is 5 GB a month; Lowest cost pay plan (which I have) is 20 GB a month for $20.00 a month or $240.00/year. That is plenty for me.

Reactions: dirkclod
I need to clarify Vimeo rates- Free plan is 5 GB a month; Lowest cost pay plan (which I have) is 20 GB a month for $20.00 a month or $240.00/year. That is plenty for me.
What I have and pay yearly. Comes up next month ?

Tom:

That is an excellent question! Not sure I really know the answer but here goes. I believe that my videos are better organized in one space, and I have the weekly statistics of viewership. My videos are produced in higher resolution without the viewer having to go to the You Tube Cog to opt in for a 2160 or High rez. I also think that the music I use is not as scrutinized for reproduction rights, but I am probably wrong on this.

I like the format in which the video is produced- e.g.: the thumbnail. And best of all, my videos can be viewed ad free. I'll be happy to hear any corrections. I also want to rid myself of any You Tube censorship. In this day and age, with the increasing power of the tech giants, anything can be canceled, but it looks more and more that Google is more likely to cancel.

Dale

Tom:

That is an excellent question! Not sure I really know the answer but here goes. I believe that my videos are better organized in one space, and I have the weekly statistics of viewership. My videos are produced in higher resolution without the viewer having to go to the You Tube Cog to opt in for a 2160 or High rez. I also think that the music I use is not as scrutinized for reproduction rights, but I am probably wrong on this.

I like the format in which the video is produced- e.g.: the thumbnail. And best of all, my videos can be viewed ad free. I'll be happy to hear any corrections. I also want to rid myself of any You Tube censorship. In this day and age, with the increasing power of the tech giants, anything can be canceled, but it looks more and more that Google is more likely to cancel.

Dale
Thanks Dale. Appreciate the time you took to reply
The upload thing is just a list of questions on YouTube... it is here that I designate everyone or adult only and set public or private. Of note YouTube produces a thumbnail either automatically or one I choose.

True about tech giants, especially Google.

Not trying to change what anyone does. Folks should use what they know best. Just wanted to know if I was missing anything... looks like a “no” to that.

Thanks Dale. Appreciate the time you took to reply
The upload thing is just a list of questions on YouTube... it is here that I designate everyone or adult only and set public or private. Of note YouTube produces a thumbnail either automatically or one I choose.

True about tech giants, especially Google.

Not trying to change what anyone does. Folks should use what they know best. Just wanted to know if I was missing anything... looks like a “no” to that.
Not to belabor the point but I have posted almost equally on You Tube. I am completely familiar with the profile stuff in You Tube. As a rule, I post to four sites. (1) Vimeo (2) Mavic Pilots (3) LRTimelapse Forum-Showroom (4) My own website which is www.daledavisphotography.smugmug.com
Almost all of my videos are equally posted on these sites. I also choose the thumbnail I want for You Tube, as well as for all audiences, etc.

Dale

Reactions: Thomas B
Not to belabor the point but I have posted almost equally on You Tube. I am completely familiar with the profile stuff in You Tube. As a rule, I post to four sites. (1) Vimeo (2) Mavic Pilots (3) LRTimelapse Forum-Showroom (4) My own website which is www.daledavisphotography.smugmug.com
Almost all of my videos are equally posted on these sites. I also choose the thumbnail I want for You Tube, as well as for all audiences, etc.

Dale
Good idea, for multiple reasons. I guess I should look into another site to store/backup/post from also.

I was told years ago that Vimeo didn't use as harsh of compression that YouTube smashes videos with...this was by Inspire 2 "professionals" whether that is true or not, can't say..I have a free Vimeo account but never use it for much. Other than no commercials on uploads not sure on the subject.

I was told years ago that Vimeo didn't use as harsh of compression that YouTube smashes videos with...this was by Inspire 2 "professionals" whether that is true or not, can't say..I have a free Vimeo account but never use it for much. Other than no commercials on uploads not sure on the subject.
One final reason to post to Vimeo Tom.

Have you ever seen those post-hurricane, tornado/house fire news videos? The poor people standing in front of the remnants of their home bemoan the loss of their family albums, films, etc.

I am not going to live forever! I am in fairly good health but I am 82. I take great pride in my body of work and want to have it live on for my kids and family, and even friends. Many of my videos are from treasured journeys with my wife and/or family. They will always have these videos to go back to, if they keep up the yearly payment. I am not so sure I can depend on Google/You Tube for that!!!

Thanks, my free YouTube account allows me to upload and display up to 4K video by selecting it during UL dialog and has no ads or commercials... they look great on my 80” TV.
I am going to look into the free Vimeo account for reasons above and just to compare process and replay. Appreciate your input, thx.

So I just uploaded my first pics here under the "Media" section, but a lot of my best work said it was too big to add to the forum?
For stills just use the Attach files button They do not have to be stored in the Media section. If you are uploading 20MP photos you are better off using a third party storage facility as mentioned in other posts above and posting a link to them.

One final reason to post to Vimeo Tom.

Have you ever seen those post-hurricane, tornado/house fire news videos? The poor people standing in front of the remnants of their home bemoan the loss of their family albums, films, etc.

I am not going to live forever! I am in fairly good health but I am 82. I take great pride in my body of work and want to have it live on for my kids and family, and even friends. Many of my videos are from treasured journeys with my wife and/or family. They will always have these videos to go back to, if they keep up the yearly payment. I am not so sure I can depend on Google/You Tube for that!!!
Agree completely with the concern and desire expressed. Plus it would be simpler than also sending the copies of images and vids directly, which is what I do for the same concerns you express.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000