DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adding sound to video

Old John

Reactions
I am new to 'droning'...love the flying part and would love to get better at video work.
I have learned how add sound to videos via the DJI app but I cannot seem to record sound on my phone then have it acquireable by the DJI app.
Further, I have NO idea how to save sound clips from a sound-effects CD and insert into my videos.
Can anyone help?
Cheers, Old John

Reactions: jimk75
Hello,
Yes, adding of external music has some trouble. If I understand you correctly please see bellow steps:
Step 1
Screenshot_20210330-180505.jpg

Step 2
Screenshot_20210330-180544.jpg

Step 3
Screenshot_20210330-180709.jpg
Step 4
Screenshot_20210330-180806.jpg
Step 5
Screenshot_20210330-180852.jpg

Step 6
Screenshot_20210330-180922.jpg

Thank you Sanja_pilot for your response and I'm glad you laid out the procedure.
Actually, that is the exact procedure I have been following.
I may have made a mistake when explaining my problem.
I cannot get sounds into that LOCAL list.
I am having no success when trying to save or import sounds recorded either on my Samsung A71 or....from a sound effects CD. I don't see options anywhere for saving sound clips in a format that the DJI app can use.
Would you have any comment on that??

I just download to my pc and use Windows movie maker. Gave up using DJI for it. I can do opening titles, credits, add music, narration........

I just download to my pc and use Windows movie maker. Gave up using DJI for it. I can do opening titles, credits, add music, narration........
A bit of a learning curve even if you are computer literate. Also, the hardware requirements can be a bottleneck sometimes. Quite a few tutorials on YouTube and just learn a little each day!

A bit of a learning curve even if you are computer literate. Also, the hardware requirements can be a bottleneck sometimes. Quite a few tutorials on YouTube and just learn a little each day!
That’s how I learned movie maker. I did a few cooking videos, a video riding through South Mountain Park in Az on my Harley (removed for copyright issues for music used), snorkeling videos, all filmed on GoPro’s. Then decided drones would be fun, and only have done 1 video with my mini so far. Not a lot of stuff I can fly and shoot where I am at the moment. Not that I know of anyway. B4UFLY shows all the cool places I can think of under restricted air space and no fly zones.

I use Adobe Premiere Elements for my drone videos, and have found it fairly easy to learn. Just drag your video clips onto the timeline and edit them how you want. Drag your audio clips onto the timeline, too, and edit them as well. The program is relatively inexpensive.

Microsoft Movie Maker is no longer available for PCs running Windows 10. But I understand that you can make videos with Microsoft's Photos app.

Last edited:
Welcome to thee forum old john? I'll be watching this one.
Ach...I'm not that 'watchable'.
I HAVE discovered a bit more about the usability of the DJI app however, thankfully.
I'm a slow learner and loathe to (intentionally) get too crazy and adventuresome. I perceive that most? of the YouTube drone videos are done by guys and the odd gal....who are sponsored so....with essentially 'nothing to lose' and no investment, they can 'go nuts' in amazing surroundings.
Real life for some of us plebes, seems a little mundane.
I still 'suffer' from some 'flier apprehension', worried about losing my Mini but perhaps by pushing myself and trusting the Mini machinery, I'll improve.
Done a few videos for folks to show them aerial views of their properties. Want to do some farming videos when planting season starts.
Ok, enough of my crap, here in London Ont
I use Adobe Premiere Elements for my drone videos, and have found it fairly easy to learn. Just drag your video clips onto the timeline and edit them how you want. Drag your audio clips onto the timeline, too, and edit them as well. The program is relatively inexpensive.

Microsoft Movie Maker is no longer available for PCs running Windows 10. But I understand that you can make videos with Microsoft's Photos app.
Hah! Moment of discovery, thanks to you...!
I believe my Mac is largely the culprit in my situation. I've never really developed much love for it so.....I turned 90° in my office, plugged my phone into my old Acer with Windows 7 and bingo. All pic files were readily visible by the Acer AND there was Movie Maker too. Went into it briefly just to see and it appeared easy to use.
I can see a new Windows 10 happening soon.

Ach...I'm not that 'watchable'.
I HAVE discovered a bit more about the usability of the DJI app however, thankfully.
I'm a slow learner and loathe to (intentionally) get too crazy and adventuresome. I perceive that most? of the YouTube drone videos are done by guys and the odd gal....who are sponsored so....with essentially 'nothing to lose' and no investment, they can 'go nuts' in amazing surroundings.
Real life for some of us plebes, seems a little mundane.
I still 'suffer' from some 'flier apprehension', worried about losing my Mini but perhaps by pushing myself and trusting the Mini machinery, I'll improve.
Done a few videos for folks to show them aerial views of their properties. Want to do some farming videos when planting season starts.
Ok, enough of my crap, here in London Ont.

I would definitely recommend getting a waypoint app like Dronelink. You can make sure you're flying where you intended, without apprehension, and also getting the shot you wanted; and if it's not quite right, you can fix it and run again. For farm monitoring, you can rerun the same plan as often as you like, and you can also do aerial mapping and 3D modeling. One nice feature of Dronelink is that you can preview it in Google Earth to check altitudes and camera angles.

I would definitely recommend getting a waypoint app like Dronelink. You can make sure you're flying where you intended, without apprehension, and also getting the shot you wanted; and if it's not quite right, you can fix it and run again. For farm monitoring, you can rerun the same plan as often as you like, and you can also do aerial mapping and 3D modeling. One nice feature of Dronelink is that you can preview it in Google Earth to check altitudes and camera angles.
Hmm, Dronelink. Got it; appreciate the advice. Thank you!

I drop the SD card onto my mac and open it like a drive. The files are there. I put mine into photos then use them from there when imovie access it. A little bit of a learning curve but much less than most. Then again iMovie is more of a recreational user program. It does a good job but not high powered like some. But fairly easy.

Just trying things out and wanted to add sound to video. Found how to "create" and add music from the Music Library. However, nothing from the dji Music Library would download. I tried Local, which downloads from my local iTunes library. Had to find one that wasn't copyrighted. Download worked fine. HOWEVER after I did that, now the downloads from the dji Music Library worked. Although iMovie might be a better solution, this should work for quick and dirty.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3