DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adjust the antenna on my Mavic Air 2?????

WOW! Highly suggest you do the TRUST test now. Seems you may not have read the instructions and simply popped the drone up straight from the box.

You said you could not "SEE" the drone visually with your eyes. That is what VLOS is per the FAA. Phone / tablet has nothing to do with Line of Sight or you thinking you know where it is.

We all begin somewhere, but it is imperative you understand basic flight rules for drones. It's to keep you out of trouble and not create more restrictive rules for all of us - which does happen.
There was no manual. I just now downloaded and printed it. I very much wanted one, but it just wasn't there. As far as the TRUST test, this is the first I've heard of it. The drone is purely a toy for me. I have no commercial interest in it, do not live near an airport (or even within 150 miles of a major one), and the drone will not be a central focus of my attention. I don't even know anyone else who has one. I was intrigued by the notion of a drone when I first started seeing articles and ads about them a year or two ago. Getting one was a impulse buy. I had some discount dollars I wanted to spend before they expired and got an additional $80 off for putting the purchase on the store's credit card. How to use all those extra $$$? The drone I'd been mulling over, of course! (Even then I confused the Mavic Air 2 with the Mavic Air 2S, which I gather is a significant improvement.) But it seems that for many people on this site the drone is either a professional tool or a very serious avocational one. In order not to get myself into any trouble, I'll have to figure out where and how to study for that TRUST exam, I suppose, though I certainly don't relish the prospect.

Last edited:
Watch this 5 mile range flight with the Mavic Air 2. How he did it, I have no idea. It's a thread on this forum.
That's not helping the situation at all. Most everyone on this forum, esp those that have been here for more than a few days - knows about VLOS. If not, then they surely need to learn what the FAA says it is. It is you and possible a spotter near you that can watch and SEE the drone at ALL times. This is also on the TRUST Test - multiple spotters, radios, binoculars, and other items CAN NOT be used to stay with VLOS.

That's not helping the situation at all. Most everyone on this forum, esp those that have been here for more than a few days - knows about VLOS. If not, then they surely need to learn what the FAA says it is. It is you and possible a spotter near you that can watch and SEE the drone at ALL times. This is also on the TRUST Test - multiple spotters, radios, binoculars, and other items CAN NOT be used to stay with VLOS.
I just thought it was interesting that this guy who flew 5 miles, isn't getting any flack, while this seemingly innocent member is getting a whole lot of it. Just seems hypocritical. This OP is about how to adjust his antennas properly. We shouldn't assume he is wanting to fly 6 miles away or even 1 mile.

I just thought it was interesting that this guy who flew 5 miles, isn't getting any flack, while this seemingly innocent member is getting a whole lot of it. Just seems hypocritical. This OP is about how to adjust his antennas properly. We shouldn't assume he is wanting to fly 6 miles away or even 1 mile.
Thank you for that! I was wondering what all that angst was over. And, yes, I did find some of those responses bordering on the provocative. I didn't respond to them that way because I thought it was possible I misconstrued them. And, no, I never had any intention of trying to fly the drone that far. I paid too much for it to risk it like that.

Watch this 5 mile range flight with the Mavic Air 2.
Why? (rhetorical question)

I watch very few youboob videos, and even fewer drone-related youboob videos... especially 'range tests' and other 'hey y'all, hold my beer and watch this' vids, most of which are ego trips anyway.

IMO, by and large, youtube is a cesspool with a few diamonds... and finding those gems is as difficult as finding real diamonds in a real cesspool would be - so I don't bother.

AFAIC, a waste of time.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I actually had no intentions of flying it that far, but what would be wrong with that? Other than risking the loss of your drone, I mean.
You seriously need to study up on the LAWS that govern sUAS aircraft, and, most importantly, the reasons those laws are in place (and no, the reasons have nothing to do with 'losing your drone' because of flying too far away).

There was no manual. I just now downloaded and printed it. I very much wanted one, but it just wasn't there. As far as the TRUST test, this is the first I've heard of it. The drone is purely a toy for me. I have no commercial interest in it, do not live near an airport (or even within 150 miles of a major one), and the drone will not be a central focus of my attention. I don't even know anyone else who has one. I was intrigued by the notion of a drone when I first started seeing articles and ads about them a year or two ago. Getting one was a impulse buy. I had some discount dollars I wanted to spend before they expired and got an additional $80 off for putting the purchase on the store's credit card. How to use all those extra $$$? The drone I'd been mulling over, of course! (Even then I confused the Mavic Air 2 with the Mavic Air 2S, which I gather is a significant improvement.) But it seems that for many people on this site the drone is either a professional tool or a very serious avocational one. In order not to get myself into any trouble, I'll have to figure out where and how to study for that TRUST exam, I suppose, though I certainly don't relish the prospect.

The TRUST "exam" isn't really an exam, it's training material. You read the material and after each section you will be asked multiple choice questions. If you get it wrong, you can try again. You literally have to try to fail. It covers basic things for safety...like flying within visual line of site, not flying in restricted areas, not flying over 400 ft., etc.

You can take the exam from a number of different websites. The FAA lists them here:

Hardly anything comes with a printed manual in the box these days... glad you found out about it.

You may want to also download and read the manual for the FLY app:
Gracias. Just now clicked on the link. Will find the manual and print it.

Hardly anything comes with a printed manual in the box these days... glad you found out about it.

You may want to also download and read the manual for the FLY app:
It was something of a chore to figure out how to turn the remote and drone on and to go through the Fly app with no notion of what to expect. Then to find out which knob on the remote did what. And then to find out how to take a still hot and make a video. So, yeah, getting the thing up and going with no more info than I could glean from the software itself was a bit challenging.

Why? (rhetorical question)

I watch very few youboob videos, and even fewer drone-related youboob videos... especially 'range tests' and other 'hey y'all, hold my beer and watch this' vids, most of which are ego trips anyway.

IMO, by and large, youtube is a cesspool with a few diamonds... and finding those gems is as difficult as finding real diamonds in a real cesspool would be - so I don't bother.

AFAIC, a waste of time.
I did find this guy on Youtube. I think he did an excellent job with his video. He also published some more videos that I haven't watched yet.

Gracias. Just now clicked on the link. Will find the manual and print it.
Good!

Besides those two manuals you could also learn a lot by reading through past threads in the Air 2 sub-forum.

I recently bought a Mavic Pro Platinum from the classifieds here (I know, older tech compared to the 2nd gen Mavics... but I LUV it!). The day I paid for it, the seller shipped it, and I downloaded the owners manual, the GO4 manual, and started reading in the Pro Platinum sub-forum here... so far I've gone back ~7 pages and learned a ton about it and it's idiosyncrasies... also been reading in the Pro forum - all very helpful!

I can SEE it while it is 5 miles away from me. I have sharp eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: Pallidin
It was something of a chore to figure out how to turn the remote and drone on and to go through the Fly app with no notion of what to expect. Then to find out which knob on the remote did what. And then to find out how to take a still hot and make a video. So, yeah, getting the thing up and going with no more info than I could glean from the software itself was a bit challenging.

I can only imagine. I had joined this forum right after I ordered my drone and in response to my introduction post some folks posted links to the manual. Even having flown other camera drones, getting things set up and going wasn't always intuitive. I have gone back a number of times to better clearly understand some of the functionality, such as RTH and using the compass display. The good news is that once you understand how to fly it, the drones does it's job very well and is very precise. If you are unsure what to do, let go of the sticks and the MA2 will patiently hover in the air waiting for your next move. Don't panic!

It's all about being safe as to not harm anybody, damage property, or put manned aircraft in danger. Those that ignore the rules or choose to be ignorant of them can ruin it for the rest of us when more restrictive rules are put in place.

Just giving a helpful tip for you, believe me I'm not trying dump on your experience at all, but if you download B4UFly and load it up you will see a number of restricted areas fairly close to you. Some you can get permission to fly in and others you can't. Cherry point alone has 3 or 4 areas of operation near you that become tfr and Lejeune/ New River would, in the way back of the 90's at least, do exercises of a scale&scope that could interfere with your ability to legally fly. It's a free app and, like UAV Forecast, provide valuable information about where and how to fly legally. And since you're in an area with a wide variety of military bases- Army reserve, Coast Guard, National Guard and USMC, there is always the chance of someone high enough up the food chain in the military or government to come for a visit and you get even more notams and tfrs for a day or 2. I lose on average about 2 weekends a month when the president flies home to the Wilmington area or does a meet and great or something somewhere in the tri-state around Philly. Some of these aren't publicly published or reported on so you need B4UFly and or UAVForecast to find out. And unfortunately they don't care what your intentions, or your specific drone capabilities are, once those notices go up you're breaking the law in their eyes. There's no way I could fly my MA2 from Philly to Wilmington on its own much less with a payload BUT that's the law when he's weekending at home because there might be drones capable of that so we are all grounded and I have to drive about 45 minutes northwest to get out of it. This is what I have to work around for the weekend:Screenshot_20210810-091925_B4UFLY.jpg

As far as the TRUST test, this is the first I've heard of it. The drone is purely a toy for me. I have no commercial interest in it, do not live near an airport (or even within 150 miles of a major one), and the drone will not be a central focus of my attention.

It's not an option, in fact it is needed for recreational flying, not (necessarily) commercial pilots.

Post #28 above has a link, best read up, pretty sure you should have TRUST to fly now in the US.

Reactions: Pallidin
As far as the TRUST test, this is the first I've heard of it. The drone is purely a toy for me. I have no commercial interest in it, do not live near an airport (or even within 150 miles of a major one), and the drone will not be a central focus of my attention. I don't even know anyone else who has one
There are many Class D (also Military) airports, Special Use airspace, and National Parks quite close to you. It is not just Major airports you need to be concerned with. Your area is the yellow circle toward the bottom right.

43C10AE4-2698-4A0E-99D8-DB5231430A00.jpeg
I don’t like being a “drone cop”, but your flippant disregard for the NAS and regulations for use of an sUAS place me in a state of “I can’t believe this attitude!”

I’m sure the Marine Corp pilots in your area would appreciate your knowing and following the rules concerning sUAS operations for their safety and those living around you.

Thank you! Because one didn't come in the box, I assumed they didn't have one and wanted everyone to rely on Youtube videos. Which is what I did.
Join the club! I missed my phantom 2 manual badly when I got the Mavic Air 2; Youtube videos just don't get it for me! Once told about the illusive manual, I downloaded it too; but not being the nice hardcopy, after a couple months of not flying, I forgot it existed and just today again complained about no manual! Thanks for the reminder.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78