DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adjusting EV

black_magic100

Reactions
If I am up in the air and my EV is far away from 0, do I change my shutter? If I am filming 30 fps I keep it on 1/60, but of course sometimes I fly up and realize I have the wrong filter on. How far can I change my shutter to get this EV I desire and at what EV value should I consider changing the shutter?

This is all assuming I do post editing work btw so please keep that in mind.

I am not a photographer so please ELI5.

I'm not sure of this myself but I generally use the histogram instead of EV to make sure I am not blowing out highlights or crushing blacks by keeping the pixel count in the mid to right side of the histogram if possible.

Can anyone confirm if this a good way to judge exposure ?

I'm not sure of this myself but I generally use the histogram instead of EV to make sure I am not blowing out highlights or crushing blacks by keeping the pixel count in the mid to right side of the histogram if possible.
I'm still trying to figure this out after a year of reading and flying but I rely on the histogram also and change the shutter to move everything close the to middle as mitchell states. I do try to keep EV numbers between +1 to -1 with zero being optimum as I've read somewhere that that's a decent range for EV. I almost always video at 24fps and set the shutter to 1/50th but sometimes, when using the histogram, I find myself having to set the shutter to 1/100th.

Reactions: Wt3786
I'm still trying to figure this out after a year of reading and flying but I rely on the histogram also and change the shutter to move everything close the to middle as mitchell states. I do try to keep EV numbers between +1 to -1 with zero being optimum as I've read somewhere that that's a decent range for EV. I almost always video at 24fps and set the shutter to 1/50th but sometimes, when using the histogram, I find myself having to set the shutter to 1/100th.
What are the downsides of increasing shutter? Does it introduce noise? If you go below 1/50 at 24fps are you introducing a significant amount of noise. I don't understand

Use the histogram to keep the exposure correct. I've been a photographer for 40 years, and when they started giving us a histogram on our camera displays, a photographer's life suddenly got much more simple.

What are the downsides of increasing shutter? Does it introduce noise? If you go below 1/50 at 24fps are you introducing a significant amount of noise. I don't understand
Increasing shutter speed itself, does not increase noise if the ISO is fixed. (Increasing ISO will increase noise.) A lower shutter speed will increase blur. This is used to smooth out the transitions between frames to avoid stuttering when panning or yawing and give a more cinematic look.

Reactions: Gray_seagull
What LivinLarge said. And I think that fast shutter speeds allow for capturing fast moving targets and slower speeds can crate blur effects of fast moving targets.

Fast shutter speeds stop any subject motion. Think "freezing" a wave as it crashes, or maybe a waterfall, seeing the droplets of water "frozen" in the air. A slow shutter speed, just the opposite. The waves, and the waterfall motion will be blurred. Note, this is different than out-of-focus blurring. It's usually done to smooth out water motion (We call it "silking" the water). This is the primary use for ND filters. We can select a slower shutter speed when using a ND filter than we would normally be able to in bright lighting conditions. ND filters are nothing more than sunglasses for your lens. It is the sole advantage and use of an ND filter on these drones. They has nothing to do with glare, or reflections, or color saturation (Assuming the exposure is correct in all cases)

I think it's important here to make a point about ISO and exposures: For any given ISO setting, in any given lighting condition, there is always just one, single, shutter speed that will give a correct exposure. Too fast of a shutter speed and it's underexposed. (I won't go into exposure control for tricky lighting conditions such as strong backlighting, or very dark backgrounds) Too slow of a shutter speed, and it's overexposed. It is different on a camera with a variable aperture. We don't have that available on our Mavics. So, just one single shutter speed will be correct for any particular subject in any particular lighting condition. We then have to make a choice to be able to change our shutter speeds to get the effect we want: We EITHER change ISO settings (Higher ISO settings introduce "noise") OR, we add ND filters to be able to slow down shutter speeds. Rule of thumb: Always shoot at the LOWEST ISO setting you can, to still get the correct exposure.

Reactions: ZombiMavic
So after reading everybody's comments I am now more confused than ever. How high should I increase/decrease my shutter speed before the image looks like ****? I need someone to make it as simple as possible. I know that when you go above 400ISO on the mavic the noise becomes a real issue.

Reactions: Gioba59
So after reading everybody's comments I am now more confused than ever. How high should I increase/decrease my shutter speed before the image looks like ****? I need someone to make it as simple as possible. I know that when you go above 400ISO on the mavic the noise becomes a real issue.
That question, as asked, is impossible to answer. Your correct shutter speed TOTALLY depends on how much light you have available. Lots of light=fast shutter speeds. Low light=slow shutter speeds. Look at your histogram, and keep that curve mostly centered in the box.

I set my shutter speed first, either for regular or slow-mo, get the ISO I want, then ND filter it down if required.

High shutter speed gives it that 'soap opera' effect,

If I am up in the air and my EV is far away from 0, do I change my shutter? If I am filming 30 fps I keep it on 1/60, but of course sometimes I fly up and realize I have the wrong filter on. How far can I change my shutter to get this EV I desire and at what EV value should I consider changing the shutter?

This is all assuming I do post editing work btw so please keep that in mind.

I am not a photographer so please ELI5.

I'll try and explain it so you understand.
ISO: low ISO (100) will give you a cleaner image but needs plenty of light. High ISO (1600) will work in lower light but will give you a noisier (mushy) image.
Shutter: Low shutter (25/30) will let more light into the sensor but will introduce motion blur. High shutter (2000+) will capture each frame but needs lots more light to hit the sensor.

Finding the balance of shutter and ISO to get good exposure is fairly simple. Start at the lowest ISO (100) and shutter as low as possible and as long as the image isn't under-exposed (too dark) you are good to go.
If its over-exposed (too bright), just keep raising the shutter till you get a good exposure. If it is too dark with the lowest shutter, you now need to bring the ISO up to make the sensor more sensitive to light at the expense of noise in the image.

Now, applying this to video is where it becomes a little trickier because in the example above I was discussing a single frame. In video there are many frames per second. This is how we deal with this.

In this example I want to capture at 2.7k@24fps for the cinematic look. To achieve this I know I will need a shutter speed of 50 (180 degree shutter rule). So I will lock this off first. Next I need to evaluate the scene I'm shooting. Its a bright sunny day and there is plenty of light. So I'll need to start at the lowest ISO (100) and have a look at the live feed. It still looks way over-exposed. I cant lower the ISO any more and I don't want to raise the shutter. My only option here is to use a Neutral Density filter to block some of the light coming in. Imagine sunglasses for your Mavic. In this case an ND32 will bring my exposure nearly to 0 (+- 0.3ev)

In this example. I want to capture some action shots of my friend on his dirt bike. He wants to be able to slow some parts down to show off his moves so now I know I want to be capturing the footage at least at 60fps. We head out to the track. Now, as I'm capturing some action shots and I want to be able to slow them down but at the same time I want each frame to have as little motion blur as possible I will need to set my shutter (using the 180 rule). I will set it at multiples of 60, so starting at 120, next available is 240, then 480 and so on. I set up my Mavic. I will lock my camera off at 1080p@60fps and set the shutter to 120 and the ISO at 100, as long as the image isn't under-exposed I will start to adjust the shutter speed, starting at 120 and going up till I get the correct exposure. Ideally I want a shutter of no more than 480 so if it goes above this Ill need to use an ND filter, probably a ND4 or ND8 will be enough. If the image is under-exposed at ISO100@120 I will need to bring my ISO up, not more than 400 though as at 400 its manageable but not the best.

In this example I want to capture a 4k evening shot of the town. I know it will be dark but with the street lights and buildings to give illumination to the scene. I set my Mavic to 4kc@24fps. I know I need as much light as possible to hit the sensor so need to use as slow a shutter speed as possible so I'll lock this at 24. Ill send my Mavic up to have a look at how the shot looks from the air because I now need to adjust my ISO to expose the image correctly. Starting at ISO200, it appears too dark, ev value shows -0.7 so I know I need even more light to get through. Ill push the ISO to 400. I have to remember, I'm shooting a fairly dark shot and want the lights to stand out so I don't worry too much about slight under-exposure.

Hopefully these examples will help you.

Last edited:
When adjusting the EV, does this adjust the ISO or shutter speed? Also in the discussions above do all the suggestions assume Manual mode?

When adjusting the EV, does this adjust the ISO or shutter speed? Also in the discussions above do all the suggestions assume Manual mode?
Yes, this is all in manual mode. If you are using Automatic mode then adjust the EV will tell the camera to either make the image darker or brighter by automatically adjusting ISO/Shutter. It will automatically follow the principles I outlined above though. Normally it will adjust the shutter first then ISO if the shutter is already at its lowest.

Reactions: pgh1949
I'll try and explain it so you understand.
ISO: low ISO (100) will give you a cleaner image but needs plenty of light. High ISO (1600) will work in lower light but will give you a noisier (mushy) image.
Shutter: Low shutter (25/30) will let more light into the sensor but will introduce motion blur. High shutter (2000+) will capture each frame but needs lots more light to hit the sensor.

Finding the balance of shutter and ISO to get good exposure is fairly simple. Start at the lowest ISO (100) and shutter as low as possible and as long as the image isn't under-exposed (too dark) you are good to go.
If its over-exposed (too bright), just keep raising the shutter till you get a good exposure. If it is too dark with the lowest shutter, you now need to bring the ISO up to make the sensor more sensitive to light at the expense of noise in the image.

Now, applying this to video is where it becomes a little trickier because in the example above I was discussing a single frame. In video there are many frames per second. This is how we deal with this.

In this example I want to capture at 2.7k@24fps for the cinematic look. To achieve this I know I will need a shutter speed of 50 (180 degree shutter rule). So I will lock this off first. Next I need to evaluate the scene I'm shooting. Its a bright sunny day and there is plenty of light. So I'll need to start at the lowest ISO (100) and have a look at the live feed. It still looks way over-exposed. I cant lower the ISO any more and I don't want to raise the shutter. My only option here is to use a Neutral Density filter to block some of the light coming in. Imagine sunglasses for your Mavic. In this case an ND32 will bring my exposure nearly to 0 (+- 0.3ev)

In this example. I want to capture some action shots of my friend on his dirt bike. He wants to be able to slow some parts down to show off his moves so now I know I want to be capturing the footage at least at 60fps. We head out to the track. Now, as I'm capturing some action shots and I want to be able to slow them down but at the same time I want each frame to have as little motion blur as possible I will need to set my shutter (using the 180 rule). I will set it at multiples of 60, so starting at 120, next available is 240, then 480 and so on. I set up my Mavic. I will lock my camera off at 1080p@60fps and set the shutter to 120 and the ISO at 100, as long as the image isn't under-exposed I will start to adjust the shutter speed, starting at 120 and going up till I get the correct exposure. If the image is under-exposed at ISO100@120 I will need to bring my ISO up, not more than 400 though as at 400 its manageable but not the best.

In this example I want to capture a 4k evening shot of the town. I know it will be dark but with the street lights and buildings to give illumination to the scene. I set my Mavic to 4kc@24fps. I know I need as much light as possible to hit the sensor so need to use as slow a shutter speed as possible so I'll lock this at 24. Ill send my Mavic up to have a look at how the shot looks from the air because I now need to adjust my ISO to expose the image correctly. Starting at ISO200, it appears too dark, ev value shows -0.7 so I know I need even more light to get through. Ill push the ISO to 400. I have to remember, I'm shooting a fairly dark shot and want the lights to stand out so I don't worry too much about slight under-exposure.

Hopefully these examples will help you.

Thank you for your help.

Reactions: Malakai_UK
sometimes I fly up and realize I have the wrong filter on
It's like taking stills with a camera: Hold the Mavic towards your preferred shooting direction *before* taking off, then look at the histogram and adjust the shutter speed (at ISO 100 of course!). With these settings use the Polar Pro app, enter the current values and the app will tell you what ND filter to use for the preferred shutter speed (1/50).

Here are some snaps captured from video that show the effects of shutter speed. The side by side shows 1/60 sec on the left (ND16) and 1/640 sec on the right (no filter.)Both were captured from 4k video at 30 fps. The camera was panned while filming. The video at 1/60 shutter speed looks smoother. The video a 1/640 exhibits strobing or stuttering. At the end of the pan with the 1/640 sec speed, I caught a bird in flight. At the slower shutter speed he would have been a blur.
bird.jpg slow vs fast.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique