DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adjusting RTH Point during flight.

gkb1122

Reactions
I have been flying my Mavic 2 Pro for over a year now. I like taking landscape photos and launching from the front of my small boat.
My question is regarding using the RTH function. Could someone explain how if I take off from one location then move my boat to a different location during the flight and use the RTH feature, how can I have the drone return to my actual location, versus where it originally took off from? I imagine if I hit the RTH button it will go to where I originally took off from - which would be bad in this case as I would have moved the boat.

Currently I land the aircraft manually but I thought I want to use the RTH feature.

Any instructions would be appreciated.

Currently I land the aircraft manually but I thought I want to use the RTH feature.

So you land the small boat, and launch from the bow ?
(Is the boat made from any substantial metal that might interfere with the aircraft compass ?)

Or are you wanting to fly as you are operating the boat too ?
That would be fairly risky, just multi tasking 2 important operations.

Personally, I would rather use the map and other telemetry (if not in good VLOS), and fly / land manually unless really well 'parked up' on a beach for the whole flight, but it sounds like you want to move as you fly.

Yes, you can park away from the original home point, and set to current (new) location.
But in general with such movement, and especially near water, I'd avoid RTH at all costs . . . including ensuring not only good signal / satellite strengths, but returning to land with a very good margin of battery left, you don't want low battery RTH to kick in on this type of flight.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Click on the 3 dots top right. Then on your drone icon at the top. Scroll down and you will find the Home point settings. The one with the person will set it to return home to the spot you are currently standing. It will move as you move.
The other will reset your home point to a hard location. You can set that as many times as you like during a flight. RTH2.pngRTH 1.png

Remember, you can bring the drone back to you using the RTH. Even let it start it's descent to a point were you can always just tap your pause button on your remote controller. Then land it manually from there.
I wouldn't want to rely on the drone auto landing out over the water.

The one with the person will set it to return home to the spot you are currently standing. It will move as you move.
The other will reset your home point to a hard location. You can set that as many times as you like during a flight.
Not quite
The icon with the person will reset the home point to the current location of the controller.
It will not continually update to follow the controller as it moves.
The other icon resets the home point to the current location of the drone.
My question is regarding using the RTH function. Could someone explain how if I take off from one location then move my boat to a different location during the flight and use the RTH feature, how can I have the drone return to my actual location, versus where it originally took off from? I imagine if I hit the RTH button it will go to where I originally took off from - which would be bad in this case as I would have moved the boat.

You do not want to allow RTH to land the drone on a boat.
Your boat, even at anchor will drift and GPS (in)accuracy could easily land in the water beside the boat even if you had a good position.
You should learn to launch and catch the Mavic by hand if flying from a boat.

And one more thing ... if you use an Apple device, the reset home point to controller's current location probably won't work.

Last edited:
Not quite
The icon with the person will reset the home point to the current location of the controller.

Your boat, even at anchor will drift and GPS (in)accuracy could easily land in the water beside the boat even if you had a good position.

And one more thing ... if you use an Apple device, the reset home point to controller's current location probably won't work.

Oh! That's good to know! I thought it would come back to the controller as you move. So, if you move, you reset it again if you choose to have the new location.

I haven't tried the reset home point to the controller location and I do use an Apple iPhone. Is this a known issue?

I haven't tried the reset home point to the controller location and I do use an Apple iPhone. Is this a known issue?
It's been happening for over a year.
But very few flyers ever need to reset the home point to the controller's location, so very few try it out.
If you try and get a Weak GPS signal message, that's the problem.

It's been happening for over a year.
But very few flyers ever need to reset the home point to the controller's location, so very few try it out.
If you try and get a Weak GPS signal message, that's the problem.

Yes. All I ever use is the same point I take off from. If I want to land elsewhere I just manually fly and land it as I always do anyway. I use the RTH lots just to watch her come back to me, but I always cancel or hit pause button and will then land it very softly.

But now, I will give the other a try just to see if it's a problem in the event I am thinking of using it in the future and not get caught off guard!

Oh! That's good to know! I thought it would come back to the controller as you move. So, if you move, you reset it again if you choose to have the new location.

There does seem to be confusion on the first issue...
The home point is not dynamic and must be reset at intervals as you move.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Not quite

Yesterday i had the impression that the MPP RC was constantly updating my RTH while i was walking and yes, i switched from the fix rth to the current location rth while i was walking also. In total the rc updated 3 or 4 times while the mpp was in the air. I use an adroid mobile.

I have issues with updating RTH to mobile position with my HTC phone and Samsung tablet. Both say weak GPS but I know GPS is good on both. I used an app that tests hardware sensors, which proved my GPS on my HTC wasn't working after its battery was replaced. Bad antenna contact which I fixed myself after the tech gave up.

Yesterday i had the impression that the MPP RC was constantly updating my RTH while i was walking and yes, i switched from the fix rth to the current location rth while i was walking also. In total the rc updated 3 or 4 times while the mpp was in the air. I use an adroid mobile.
Either it did or it didn't.
The flight data would confirm what really happened.

Some models do have dynamic HP update mode.

But not the M2P ?
I'm pretty sure my M1P does have dynamic HP option, but have never set it or tried it.
I had a thought about this the other day re this thread, but is it updated every set period of minutes ?

Having a quick search just now, it is not mentioned in the M1P manual, but a few other forum links say it's not a feature of the M2P, but is the M1P, lots of conflicting messages about how it works (in active track or simply where the controller is at all times).

Guess it's something to try in the test park one day.

But not the M2P ?
I'm pretty sure my M1P does have dynamic HP option, but have never set it or tried it.
I had a thought about this the other day re this thread, but is it updated every set period of minutes ?

Having a quick search just now, it is not mentioned in the M1P manual, but a few other forum links say it's not a feature of the M2P, but is the M1P, lots of conflicting messages about how it works (in active track or simply where the controller is at all times).

Guess it's something to try in the test park one day.
Good idea. I'll try it out also. M1pp with android. My guess is that it depends of the distance you're walking from the previous hp.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e