DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ADS-B enabled to purchase in New Zealand

Herbie D

Reactions
Hi Team.

So I've searched for the answer in this forum and realise that I may be crystal ball gazing but here goes.

I am looking at purchasing the MA2, but as I live in New Zealand it will come without the ADS-B activated, a feature I want to have as I see it being required in the future.

I understand how it works, which is why I'm interested.

Are the MA2's that are being shipped worldwide equipped with this, but just not activated or do they not have the hardware installed? I know what DJI said was the reason (Covid).

I'm not really interested in hacking the drone to fool it into thinking I'm in America.

Not a big one, but as I said, just looking to future proof. I considered buying from Amazon but the shipping and import taxes are ridiculous. Also, we have good protection here from buying local under our consumer laws.

Still enjoying my MA though.

Not sure about the models ordered today, but when first launched the hardware sold outside North America completely lacked the ADS-B hardware due to supply constraints.

But the Mavic Air 2 just features ADS-B In, meaning it just shows nearby aircraft that are transmitting ADS-B signals. (In supported countries) It doesn't transmit ADS-B signals containing its own position though, so I don't see ADS-B In becoming required legally.

Hi Herbie,

The MA2 sold in NZ does not have 'AirSense' (DJI's name for ADS-B IN). The ADS-B Rx is a hardware addition, it is not a firmware modifiable option. When Ferntech back in Apr had a live Facebook MA2 announcement they they made a mistake, and wrote that the version to go on sale in NZ would have AirSense. I was surprised at this (how could we as a non-USA country be getting the same MA2 as sold in USA when it wasn't going to be available to European markets?) and so typed that question on the Facebook page hosting the live announcement. I think it was at that stage that the marketing/social media person at Ferntech realised they'd made a mistake copy & pasting the USA info and they wrote that it would not include AirSense. Within a few minutes they'd deleted my two comments and their answers from their page. I suspect they were a little embarrassed.

Hi Herbie,

Also on the subject of ADS-B I have the Flight Radar 24 app on my phone, and sure it shows the Air NZ, Jetstar, rescue choppers etc but without any audible warning though (at least on my free version). But I've found that the sports light aircraft and worst of all, the top dressing/spraying helicopters who often fly well below 500', and this is while they are transiting from their job site back to base (ie NOT spraying) as they pass through an area that we fly RC aircraft in, well these aircraft generally do NOT show up on my FR24. So what I'm saying is that even if we did have AirSense equipped Mavics in NZ they very likely would be blind to these aircraft anyway. Fortunately choppers make a lot of noise :)

Yeah, I thought as much and would expect bigger countries to still get it before us i.e. Europe. Another thing is if the countries do require it by law then DJI act.
It's probably due to the fact I don't like missing out on the good stuff. I'd hate to buy one and then have it come out equipped with ADS-B Rx. Maybe they'll offload the non equipped ones on us for a while longer.
Hadn't thought about Flight tracker which I use a bit (as an aviation nerd).

Guess I still have to keep my eyes peeled but its distracting getting caught up in the moment of taking the shot.

How do I know what model I'm ordering, apart from the business stating AirSense or me buying it in America? Seems that Ferntech, which is where I've brought my previous drones and Osmo, can make mistakes until someone calls them on it. Would it be part of the aerial number or such?

Yeah, I thought as much and would expect bigger countries to still get it before us i.e. Europe. Another thing is if the countries do require it by law then DJI act.
It's probably due to the fact I don't like missing out on the good stuff. I'd hate to buy one and then have it come out equipped with ADS-B Rx. Maybe they'll offload the non equipped ones on us for a while longer.
Hadn't thought about Flight tracker which I use a bit (as an aviation nerd).

Guess I still have to keep my eyes peeled but its distracting getting caught up in the moment of taking the shot.

How do I know what model I'm ordering, apart from the business stating AirSense or me buying it in America? Seems that Ferntech, which is where I've brought my previous drones and Osmo, can make mistakes until someone calls them on it. Would it be part of the aerial number or such?
Hi Herbie: I bought my Air 2 Fly More at Noel Leeming in Tauranga at first release and also ordered a car charger and rotor protectors through them. Reputable product, reputable retailer. I have had no problems with the drone, at all. It is a fantastic piece of gear. If a problem arises, there is a local store to deal with, who I am sure would stand by the warranties. I have been a customer with them for over 20 years. If you want DJI Refresh, you can buy that online at FernTech. And using Airshare before flying to post my intended flights and being diligent I do not expect to hit anyone. Just keep it at a comfortable height and in sight, watch and listen. Your flying environment may add risks but just do your best. Your posts indicate that you are a careful pilot, anyway. Safe flying. But do not delay buying - you will be very happy with the Air 2. ????????

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929