DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ADS-B vs. non-ADS-B model

• Thread starter Deleted member 126802
  • Start date
From my reading about Airsense, the US model has an additional chip on the main board. It weighs 3 grams more than the other model. It would also use a slight amount of power and create its own EMF. I really don't see any point in Airsense. Only rarely do planes fly below 400 feet, and in the US there is a good chance that a plane at that level is not required to have ADSB. Eyes and ears are the best sensors. I recommend checking the flightradar24 app occasionally to see what is in the area. All the videos I've seen show Airsense notifying of planes that are far above. Such notices are just a distraction.
But doesn’t Flightradar24 use ADSB out data? If a plane isn‘t equipped with ADSB out , then it won’t show up on Flightradar24 either.

FlightRadar24 aggregates a number of different sources, not just ADS-B.
If a plane is not ADSB Out equipped, then what is FlightRadar using? Theres a lot of civilian planes flying around that don’t show up on FR24.

Found this as I was reading up on the feature.

The ADS-B receiver, which receives on 978 MHz, is not likely to detect any ADS-B data outside the USA because only the USA has adopted that frequency band.

ADS-B outside of the USA uses the international standard of 1090ES (1090 MHz). The Stratus 2 or 2S ADS-B receivers will detect and display the position of aircraft in other countries that have 1090ES ADS-B Out

Maybe just a little research...

Thanks sar104. So it states : “If an aircraft you are looking for is not visible on Flightradar24 it either does not have a compatible transponder or it's out of Flightradar24 coverage.“
Thats explains why so many planes are flying around that don’t show up on FR24.
Ben Anderson above stated: “ I recommend checking the flightradar24 app occasionally to see what is in the area.”
This obviously won’t help since not all a/c are ADSB equipped and if not, wont show up on FR24. All that’s gonna do is give you a false sense of security.

following discussions in german forums, more and more user reporting of receiving a "MA2UE3W" model - so the version with ADS-B. Some purchased directly from DJI, some from a big german electronic discounter - and one user reported he was able to return his "non-ADS-B model" in exchange for a ADS-B version!

Is the model number ("MA2UE1N" or "MA2UE3W") labeled outside on the box, or only when taking the battery out of the Mavic Air 2? Or an "ADS-B" label on the box itself?

By the way: the "big german electronic discounter" is giving in estimated delivery date (when ordering today) of 22nd of July earliest - so I guess this is the next production charge, assuming all of them will then be equipped with the ADS-B receiver...?

Thanks sar104. So it states : “If an aircraft you are looking for is not visible on Flightradar24 it either does not have a compatible transponder or it's out of Flightradar24 coverage.“
Thats explains why so many planes are flying around that don’t show up on FR24.
Ben Anderson above stated: “ I recommend checking the flightradar24 app occasionally to see what is in the area.”
This obviously won’t help since not all a/c are ADSB equipped and if not, wont show up on FR24. All that’s gonna do is give you a false sense of security.
I subscribe to FR24 and use it daily, as I live near an active airport. FR24 uses a number of sources including ADSB. See the link above. If FR24 can't see an aircraft then AirSense will not be able to see it either. However, FR24 is more likely to see aircraft that are not visible to AirSense. You are right that there are aircraft which are not required to have ADSB, and those are likely to be flying low outside of controlled airspace. I still see AirSense as of very limited value. Better data is available on other apps. Eyes and ears . . .

I subscribe to FR24 and use it daily, as I live near an active airport. FR24 uses a number of sources including ADSB. See the link above. If FR24 can't see an aircraft then AirSense will not be able to see it either. However, FR24 is more likely to see aircraft that are not visible to AirSense. You are right that there are aircraft which are not required to have ADSB, and those are likely to be flying low outside of controlled airspace. I still see AirSense as of very limited value. Better data is available on other apps. Eyes and ears . . .

That's not entirely accurate. If an aircraft is not on radar (not unlikely if it is low) and if its ADS-B broadcasts are not being received by a ground station (also not unlikely if it is low), then they will still be received by an sUAS running AirSense.

Found this as I was reading up on the feature.

The ADS-B receiver, which receives on 978 MHz, is not likely to detect any ADS-B data outside the USA because only the USA has adopted that frequency band.

ADS-B outside of the USA uses the international standard of 1090ES (1090 MHz). The Stratus 2 or 2S ADS-B receivers will detect and display the position of aircraft in other countries that have 1090ES ADS-B Out
Well it looks unless I am mistaken given even practical reports of US bought drones receiving aproaching plane warnings in EU that the ADS-B receiver on the MA2 US supplied GPS board has 2 surface mounted antennas on it see photo what you make of it.

GPS1.JPG

I am flying with ADS-B IN aircraft from DJI for around 2 years here in Germany (M2ED & Matrice 200).
There was never an issue with some kind of certification, there is/was no difference between FCC and CE based DJI drones in respect to ADS-B IN. Just buy a Matrice/M2E/M2ED in either the US or in Europe, ADS-B IN will work in every part of the world.
The drone simply receives ADS-B traffic (978 MHz) and reports it via the telemetry downlink on the operator's screen.
Well you can easily ask DJI if their ADS-B receiver has dual frequency or not I rather think it has since there are dual frequency nano ads-b chips out there aside from the one dji uses these days in ma2.

personally i think that the Airsense version is a bit of a gimmick to satisfy the rule makers ,simply because the drone is capable of being flown illegally above the current height limits and its to add another level of perceived protection, i have no issue with the safety aspect of the system ,and probably in the US given the large amount of small aircraft and microlights that occupy the airspace, and the number of small unmanned and private airstrips ,then it could help with preventing a mid air collision,in the UK where i mostly fly i think it would be a distaction if it flashed up on the screen every time a jet from Cardiff airport 30 miles away flew over my neck of the woods ,at an altitude i would never be able to reach
It's no gimmick it works and works well I am so used to having it now that when I fly my other aircraft I miss having it until you have had the chance to use it I wouldn't being saying its a gimmick especially since anything to make it safer is a great Gimmick if you ask me

Reactions: old man mavic
It's no gimmick it works and works well I am so used to having it now that when I fly my other aircraft I miss having it until you have had the chance to use it I wouldn't being saying its a gimmick especially since anything to make it safer is a great Gimmick if you ask me
i did not say it was not an aid to safety ,if you fly within the guidelines then its not going to make much difference anyway, and in the UK as i said we dont have the proliferation of small private aircraft that is the norm in the US,and apart from anything else DJI have only introduced it on US spec MA so far so i would not be able to benefit from it if i wanted to at the moment

My impressions of ADSB on the MA-2 so far: I have the US version of the MA-2. I was hoping that the drone would also transmit outbound broadcast of ADSB, but it actually only receives. I believe I didn’t put much research into that ahead of the purchase since it’s widely known that ADSB-Out is not featured on these. It does have settings to discriminate how close traffic would be before triggering an alert. This is ok, but one has to keep in mind that this is a warning that traffic is nearby, probably not a factor unless the aircraft is below the US minimum 500’ floor. (Some operators may actually encounter this with helicopters flying low over water near them in uncontrolled airspace for example). Also, it appears that not all aircraft are ADSB equipped at this time. That is probably going to change at some point. As it stands right now, this feature is kind of nice, and I believe it needs to be developed further. However, I don’t believe that persons who live in markets where non-Air-Sense drones are sold, are missing anything that warrants all the problems with trying to outfit their drones with ADSB (Air-Sense) as currently implemented. The benefits now are minuscule, but in the future, I believe they will be very helpful as ADSB becomes more widely adopted, and (perhaps) more functionality is built into the UAS. I suspect that the Air-Sense feature will perhaps become seen as a necessity on a future generational release of these drones.

This is, of course, a separate issue from REMOTE ID, which *would* involve a broadcast from your drone. I have to admit, I am not sure where we stand as far as what capabilities our drones have on this already, and what is implemented by the FAA at this time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan