DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ADS-B vs. non-ADS-B model

• Thread starter Deleted member 126802
  • Start date
I don't know about running out of parts, but the implication certainly seemed to be that the non-US versions lacked the hardware. But if that were the case, why would it be disabled in US versions operating elsewhere? We need an example of a non-US MA2 operated in the US to answer this.

Perhaps legal reasons: if DJI didn't certify the ADS-B receiver yet in other countries that regulate such equipment, they might disable it there.

if DJI didn't certify the ADS-B receiver yet in other countries that regulate such equipment, they might disable it there.
I am flying with ADS-B IN aircraft from DJI for around 2 years here in Germany (M2ED & Matrice 200).
There was never an issue with some kind of certification, there is/was no difference between FCC and CE based DJI drones in respect to ADS-B IN. Just buy a Matrice/M2E/M2ED in either the US or in Europe, ADS-B IN will work in every part of the world.
The drone simply receives ADS-B traffic (978 MHz) and reports it via the telemetry downlink on the operator's screen.

I am flying with ADS-B IN aircraft from DJI for around 2 years here in Germany (M2ED & Matrice 200).
There was never an issue with some kind of certification, there is/was no difference between FCC and CE based DJI drones in respect to ADS-B IN. Just buy a Matrice/M2E/M2ED in either the US or in Europe, ADS-B IN will work in every part of the world.
The drone simply receives ADS-B traffic (978 MHz) and reports it via the telemetry downlink on the operator's screen.

But from the posts above it appears that the functionality is disabled on the US MA2 when it detects that it is outside the US. I've still not seen definitive evidence on whether the non-US MA2 lacks the hardware or simply disables the function outside the US.

Are ADS-B receivers regulated? By whom?

Presumably the equivalent of the FCC in countries outside the US. There are countries where even basic radio scanners aren't permitted without legal authorization.

Presumably the equivalent of the FCC in countries outside the US. There are countries where even basic radio scanners aren't permitted without legal authorization.

That's certainly possible if reception on ADS-B frequencies requires a permit in some other countries, but seems odd given that the M2E and Matrice versions use it.

I know that there are two models. But just like there are FCC and non-FCC models in terms of the radio, that doesn't definitively mean that the hardware is different. The SGS-CSTC report does mention a hardware difference but is rather vague on the source for that since they appear to have only looked at the US version.

That's certainly possible if reception on ADS-B frequencies requires a permit in some other countries, but seems odd given that the M2E and Matrice versions use it.

I know that there are two models. But just like there are FCC and non-FCC models in terms of the radio, that doesn't definitively mean that the hardware is different. The SGS-CSTC report does mention a hardware difference but is rather vague on the source for that since they appear to have only looked at the US version.
The different radio for FCC /CE concerns only on mavic mini. All remaining known DJI drones have the same hardware.Power FCC regulation is upon location

In terms of AIR sense

MA2UE3W has dedicated sensor (HW)
MA2UE1N has filler at the same place :)

If you would have read the sources, you would've known, that there is indeed a hardware difference:
The difference between these 2 models is that the 3W version will have the Automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS–B) hardware inside.
Source: DJI Mavic Air 2 - EVERYTHING is FINALLY revealed | April 23.

The different radio for FCC /CE concerns only on mavic mini. All remaining known DJI drones have the same hardware.Power FCC regulation is upon location

In terms of AIR sense

MA2UE3W has dedicated sensor (HW)
MA2UE1N has filler at the same place :)

Great - but where is that actually documented?

the link to articles were already provided here(@Ubimo)...
Can you share your docs that are against?

I don't have any counter-evidence at all - I'd just like to see more than the statement in the original report, because I thought that it left room for doubt.

Okay - understood. So even though Airsense works outside the US with a US model, the firmware appears to disable it unless you spoof it. That makes me wonder if a non-US model used in the US would have working Airsense - I haven't seen anything posted on that. In other words is it a hardware difference or just a firmware switch?

I think for the US Model of MA2 it has a Hardware of ADS-B Sensor and a combination of Software that automatically detects the location to enable the Airsense.

For the Non-US Model of MA2 it doesn’t have a Hardware of ADS-B Sensor, Meaning even if you use it in the US the drone still doesn't have a Airsense.

Reactions: Ben Anderson
I think for the US Model of MA2 it has a Hardware of ADS-B Sensor and a combination of Software that automatically detects the location to enable the Airsense.

For the Non-US Model of MA2 it doesn’t have a Hardware of ADS-B Sensor, Meaning even if you use it in the US the drone still doesn't have a Airsense.

That's quite possible - it would be consistent with the report and the limited user experience posted so far.

From my reading about Airsense, the US model has an additional chip on the main board. It weighs 3 grams more than the other model. It would also use a slight amount of power and create its own EMF. I really don't see any point in Airsense. Only rarely do planes fly below 400 feet, and in the US there is a good chance that a plane at that level is not required to have ADSB. Eyes and ears are the best sensors. I recommend checking the flightradar24 app occasionally to see what is in the area. All the videos I've seen show Airsense notifying of planes that are far above. Such notices are just a distraction.

Does the airsense broadcast the drones position? Or just receive aircraft positions? If it broadcasts, it may not be compliant with non-US use of the frequency (ie only manned aircraft can broadcast in some countries?) or maybe because as in Australia, where aircraft do not have to use ads-b, it may be they disable it for drone use in areas where it’s not mandatory on aircraft, so people do not assume aircraft will be indicated by it when they may not be?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom