DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice for Newbie, please

Quiet Place

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Got the purchase itch really bad and need some experienced advice. Since I live in the mountains and will be flying in and around trees, obstacle avoidance is prime concern. With the extra set of "eyes", I was really leaning to the Air 2s. However I see I can get the Air 2 with a smart controller and fly more combo for same price approximately. Due to my aging eyes, the idea of a brighter screen is calling me loudly. I am not going for professional photo stuff but just enjoyment. Would I miss much with out the other obstacle sensor and what are experiences of the screen brightness by you who have the first hand knowledge. Thanks so very much!!

Got the purchase itch really bad and need some experienced advice. Since I live in the mountains and will be flying in and around trees, obstacle avoidance is prime concern. With the extra set of "eyes", I was really leaning to the Air 2s. However I see I can get the Air 2 with a smart controller and fly more combo for same price approximately. Due to my aging eyes, the idea of a brighter screen is calling me loudly. I am not going for professional photo stuff but just enjoyment. Would I miss much with out the other obstacle sensor and what are experiences of the screen brightness by you who have the first hand knowledge. Thanks so very much!!
I have the set of the ma2 and the sc. I think it is a better set then the a2s... The air 2s is a test for the new mavic 3 pro that is comming soon. So if you need a good drone you maybe should wait for the release date of the mavic 3 pro

When I think of all that we have enjoyed with the Air 2 and the SC , i would not hesitate, the Air 2 is a fantastic drone, and if you decide to upgrade to the Air 2S or something else the SC will also allow you to fly those drones.

The only drawback is there is just a little bit of Lag on the SC but for the Benefits it can be negotiated.

There is nothing more simple than the SC and Drone setup no matter what drone you have

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 / S in the Rain and land on the Water.

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Th small screens are always a problem for us age challenged pilots. I have used a SC ( not mine) and still had trouble. I use tablets were I can.
Regards

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You say “obstacle avoidance is prime concern” - get used to the idea that Obstetrical Avoidance isn’t magic & will not necessarily get you out of trouble.
I love the bright screen on the Smart Controller but it has other advantages like no wires or setup before you can fly.

I live in the mountains and fly among tall trees all the time. I would caution you as others have that obstacle avoidance will not reliably detect trees and you should not depend on it to save you from a crash.

As several others have noted, Obstacle avoidance is not a perfect science, I would not rely on it to save you from a potential crash in a crowded forest of trees. Some Drones may do this better in some case, however it never as perfect as piloting to avoid obstacles to begin with.

The Smart Controller is an expensive device, however as noted the brightness and quick setup are advantages..

For less, you may not get the brightness and cordless setup, but a tablet with larger screen and a screen shade may be another option and save you some $$ over a Smart Controller and may be even better viewing wise for aging eyes. You'd have to chose which option would be best for you.. If you get one device and don't like it, switching will take time and futzing with returns.

I've only borrowed a smart controller to use and though I liked the speed of setup and the screen brightness the added money for only a 5½ screen really deterred me. It's more "clunky" but having a separate 10" screen that I can angle how I want and or add a sunshade was really the way to go for me. As a separate buy for the SC price of $750us got me 2 galaxy tab s6 lites, 2 tablet holders, a spare battery for my MA2 and 1 for my Mini2. Kit buying the MA2 with smart controller at $1400us is nicer but still pricey for the screen size in my opinion.

Trees? I live in the western part of N.C. near Joyce Kilmer. Looking to go with the Tripltek Tablet with a brightness of 1200 nits myself. You will not find anything brighter.

Reactions: Gary R
Trees? I live in the western part of N.C. near Joyce Kilmer. Looking to go with the Tripltek Tablet with a brightness of 1200 nits myself. You will not find anything brighter.
The TripleTek does appear to be a nice option, however they are not that much cheaper than a Smart Controller, I noted the 7" model was $679 or about $70 cheaper than the Smart controller.

Last edited:
I went with the Tripltek after starting with my iPhone SE, then moved to a Galaxy Tablet. Had trouble seeing both in the sun. I can see the Tripltek in any light and another reason I went with it is it is a multifunctional device. Amazing battery life. Use as a phone, surf the net, etc.
It's all about personal choice.

I went with the Tripltek after starting with my iPhone SE, then moved to a Galaxy Tablet. Had trouble seeing both in the sun. I can see the Tripltek in any light and another reason I went with it is it is a multifunctional device. Amazing battery life. Use as a phone, surf the net, etc.
It's all about personal choice.
Are you on Verizon. Hear they are picky with what they hook up to.

I've been with Verizon for many years. Service is great, support is poor at best. Even though Tripltek has many users on Verizon, I spent quite a bit of time trying to get it running. Verizon kept telling me they don't support it.

Gave up and went with Red Pocket Cell Service. Inexpensive at $10/month and works just fine on the tablet. I have cell, texting and data, so I can access my flight plans on Dronelink and make new ones on the fly. I've not had a connection issue where I have used it. There support has been fine, took a few minutes to get the tablet connected and no problems.

www.redpocket.com

I've been with Verizon for many years. Service is great, support is poor at best. Even though Tripltek has many users on Verizon, I spent quite a bit of time trying to get it running. Verizon kept telling me they don't support it.

Gave up and went with Red Pocket Cell Service. Inexpensive at $10/month and works just fine on the tablet. I have cell, texting and data, so I can access my flight plans on Dronelink and make new ones on the fly. I've not had a connection issue where I have used it. There support has been fine, took a few minutes to get the tablet connected and no problems.

www.redpocket.com
I live in the sticks in western nc so no telling how that cell service would work. The cable that came with the Tripltek, it would hook up ok with the Tripltek and the MAVIC 2 controller?

I’m in western WA and fly at my sons property in the middle of nowhere. If you try them and it doesn’t work, just cancel.
Not sure about your control, Tripltek has a ubs-c connection and they supply that cable that you can connect to. Built like a tank and runs with no issues. But, it is heavy at 1.5 lbs. I don’t care as I can see the screen all the time.

I’m in western WA and fly at my sons property in the middle of nowhere. If you try them and it doesn’t work, just cancel.
Not sure about your control, Tripltek has a ubs-c connection and they supply that cable that you can connect to. Built like a tank and runs with no issues. But, it is heavy at 1.5 lbs. I don’t care as I can see the screen all the time.
I have the Air 2 with SC and I am 70 I personally am very happy with the controller. The screen is bright and clear and can be set as you like it. Which ever you get. Grats and welcome to the forum :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078