DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice needed re mapping software for Mavic Pro

JanetM

Reactions
Hello, I am Chair of a charity that does much more than beach cleans in a relatively remote part of Scotland, and we are wanting to use our drones - I and another of the trustees each have a DJI Mavic Pro to map the shores around our islands so we can work out where to focus our limited resources.
Neither of us has ever done any drone mapping before so would really appreciate insights and advice, what to look for, what to avoid etc.

Drone Link and Drone Deploy are two of the best
Hello, I am Chair of a charity that does much more than beach cleans in a relatively remote part of Scotland, and we are wanting to use our drones - I and another of the trustees each have a DJI Mavic Pro to map the shores around our islands so we can work out where to focus our limited resources.
Neither of us has ever done any drone mapping before so would really appreciate insights and advice, what to look for, what to avoid etc.
Start with the Drone Deploy its one of the best and they offer a Free Trial for there cloud based Mobile apps , its offer the best of what is available. over kill for most ,

One main difference between Drone Deploy and Drone Link and some of the others is that if you loose signal the Drone will continue its mission where others will stop and land.

You also can pick up from where you left off. say your taking 1350 pictures of open water , the drone will fly right back out after landing to the original position and start taking pictures until all1350 pictures have been taken.

Once you know what you really need , you can scale down to a cheaper less professional Software, but starting with the best is always smart.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Pro in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: JanetM
If Drone Link maps basically, it might be all you need, and it could even be still free to use in some form, or at least low cost.
Definitely look at Drone Deploy, also Pix4D, both easy to find via Google. I get newsletters from both as it’s very interesting reading all the latest info on the many uses of these software packages.
Be aware even though a charity use, you may need the CAA commercial pilots license for these types of flights.
Best to check and see what’s required legally in the early stages and maybe do that (if needed) while you trial the mapping tools and learn how to use it effectively.
Good luck, sounds like a perfect use for the drone and helping with the project.

If Drone Link maps basically, it might be all you need, and it could even be still free to use in some form, or at least low cost.
Definitely look at Drone Deploy, also Pix4D, both easy to find via Google. I get newsletters from both as it’s very interesting reading all the latest info on the many uses of these software packages.
Be aware even though a charity use, you may need the CAA commercial pilots license for these types of flights.
Best to check and see what’s required legally in the early stages and maybe do that (if needed) while you trial the mapping tools and learn how to use it effectively.
Good luck, sounds like a perfect use for the drone and helping with the project.
Thank you, yes we are checking out the legalities (hubby is a legal academic so I DAREN'T do it wrong!) A funder is willing to support this, hurray and we will get stuck in just as soon as we can, weather permitting in this wild corner of Britain :)

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Your DJI Mavic Pro can do Waypoints so have a look at the FREE QGroundControl for Win, MAC and Linux.
Neville

Drone Link and Drone Deploy are two of the best

Start with the Drone Deploy its one of the best and they offer a Free Trial for there cloud based Mobile apps , its offer the best of what is available. over kill for most ,

One main difference between Drone Deploy and Drone Link and some of the others is that if you loose signal the Drone will continue its mission where others will stop and land.

You also can pick up from where you left off. say your taking 1350 pictures of open water , the drone will fly right back out after landing to the original position and start taking pictures until all1350 pictures have been taken.

Once you know what you really need , you can scale down to a cheaper less professional Software, but starting with the best is always smart.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Pro in the Rain and Land on the Water.
Any recommendation on the cheaper options? Just looking to try out some of these techniques and I'd be happy to play around with a feature limited/ more DIY option.

I have had a couple of really productive calls with people from Dronedeploy. As the proposed mapping project is to be done by a registered charity it means we can benefit from their nonprofit programme and stay with our grant budget ?

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have had a couple of really productive calls with people from Dronedeploy. As the proposed mapping project is to be done by a registered charity it means we can benefit from their nonprofit programme and stay with our grant budget ?
Great news, and well done by DroneDeploy.

The free DJI GS Pro works flawlessly for flying missions. For processing the images, dronedeploy is fine for 2D orthomosaics, but Pix4D is vastly superior for 3D models

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1