DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AFC/MF in latest GO

Well, if we are using the normal AF..

HOw do you guys keep a constant sharp focus while moving the Drone? do you tap on the screen constantly or......?

I did a test flight (had some panic attacks when I lost sight of the drone) and a video record at 2.7k (30FPS) and I noted that when I turned the drone, the
video image is kind of stuttering along the movement... any tips on this?
you could use a good editing program and resample from 30fps to 60 fps like I did here:
You may have to download to view in best quality (not stuttering)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85571036/vids/threadpost.mov

I don't see that feature on Android .... must be IOS only? I have DJi Go 4.0.2 ... no updates available.

Tried the new afc today for about an hour's flight time. In afc you can still tap or press your centre focus if required and the afc kicks in only when your camera seems directed at something closer or farther away. Doing landscapes today I only noticed a couple of afc hunting movements but not the amount I expected . Putting onto monitor in 2.7k in a mo to see how it turned out in afc mode

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Tried the new afc today for about an hour's flight time. In afc you can still tap or press your centre focus if required and the afc kicks in only when your camera seems directed at something closer or farther away. Doing landscapes today I only noticed a couple of afc hunting movements but not the amount I expected . Putting onto monitor in 2.7k in a mo to see how it turned out in afc mode

Ahh ... anxious to see that. I've been struggling with focus for awhile. Sometimes it's good but often it's not.

Reactions: Bunny Too
It did it to me several times within 20 seconds or so while crossing a river/island/river sequence at about 25 km/hr and recording.

I did some testing today to try out AF-C on Android Go 4.0.3 and I observed the same as what @Wacker2611 said: My Mavic's camera would only automatcially re-focus if I wasn't recording. Once I started recording, it would not re-focus on its own. I tested flying then hovering for a few seconds, as well as panning and pausing. It never re-focused on its own. But if I stopped recording, it would periodically re-focus when the Mavic was paused in flight. I'm actually quite happy with this implementation. Not sure why you seem to be getting a different result.

Reactions: 4wd
I shall test that tomorrow to see if once recording it holds focus and when finished recording it auto refocus's. To be honest I can't remember if it afc'd before during or after filming

Did some test recording at 2.7k/30fps with AFC...

the footage was crystal clear and impressive to me... don't see any focus hunting, as some of you guys puts it..
rather impress, this should make my video recording life easier on the mavic..

didn't try the AFC at night though.. if you guys did, care to share your findings?

Tried again this morning and ljane you were right. Afc doesn't activate when recording but does on start up, hovering for a while and then a few seconds after I finished recording. All footage had no visible out of focus frames

Check again.. in my testing, it does the refocusing when flying, and you come to a stop.. which may not be expected, or desirable if you're doing a cinematic manuevre where you do a fly over, then slowly come to a hover for a specific effect

Check again.. in my testing, it does the refocusing when flying, and you come to a stop.. which may not be expected, or desirable if you're doing a cinematic manuevre where you do a fly over, then slowly come to a hover for a specific effect

What you described sounds exactly right, except that it doesn't do that while video is recording. (At least not the last time I was filming with mine about two weeks ago)

Reactions: rnewman34
Here's what I do, from reading all the posts here:

1. Take the drone up 100 feet or so and hover
2. Look directly at the ground with the camera pointed down, and tap the screen.
3. After it focuses, change the focus to manual focus so it stops trying to auto focus.
4. start the flight, and you'll always locked at infinity Focus

Also, set C1 to auto center focus so you don't have to keep tapping the screen......

Last edited:
What you described sounds exactly right, except that it doesn't do that while video is recording. (At least not the last time I was filming with mine about two weeks ago)
I stand corrected.. I thought for some reason, with the latest firmware update, that it had changed.. but just got back from testing.. and the AFC does not refocus while in record mode.. however, I did notice that even while flying around with the recorder off, it doesn't always want to refocus, but only when something of high contrast comes in to the center (or wherever you have positioned the focus box).. which is a smart way to do this.. so I think I will like this new mode now that I understand it more, but always good to go back to manual focus when needed

Reactions: JLane
I stand corrected.. I thought for some reason, with the latest firmware update, that it had changed.. but just got back from testing.. and the AFC does not refocus while in record mode.. however, I did notice that even while flying around with the recorder off, it doesn't always want to refocus, but only when something of high contrast comes in to the center (or wherever you have positioned the focus box).. which is a smart way to do this.. so I think I will like this new mode now that I understand it more, but always good to go back to manual focus when needed

I'm relieved to hear that it still works this way. You had me wondering if DJI had changed it again with a new app update or something :)

Can someone explain how I use AF instead of AFC? I'm so confused. AFC is very agressive in the latest firmware constantly refocusing. When does regular AF focus?

AFC constantly refocuses the entire flight while I'm recording

Can someone explain how I use AF instead of AFC? I'm so confused. AFC is very agressive in the latest firmware constantly refocusing. When does regular AF focus?

AFC constantly refocuses the entire flight while I'm recording

In AFC pick a point in the distance - tap to focus.
Then Tap AFC/MF to put it in manual mode - it won't budge.

There is a setting somewhere in the GO app to change the AFC/MF option to AF/MF as well (remove the "C"ontinuous.).

In AFC pick a point in the distance - tap to focus.
Then Tap AFC/MF to put it in manual mode - it won't budge.

There is a setting somewhere in the GO app to change the AFC/MF option to AF/MF as well (remove the "C"ontinuous.).

So after focusing, if I switch to manual mode it will stay in the last focus setting (the one I just tapped to create), not start over?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom