DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Afraid To Fly

eightnine

Reactions
So, I bought a Mavic Air a few months ago, but I've barely taken it out. Short reason is that I'm just too afraid to take her up into the air. I live in PA in the USA. There's tons of nice areas that I'd like to just kind of fly around. Corn fields, wooded areas, empty fields, stripping mines (not currently used ones). Areas that I'd consider 'safe' (no persons or persons property around), but not necessarily approved for flying. If I go by the rules, there's nearly nowhere near me within an hour plus drive that I'm not in range of a tower or something. I've tried to play fair and call them, but more often than not, there's no answer.

Anyway, so yea, I'm kind of afraid to take the thing out and put it in the sky! I dunno what to do with that. I don't want to do harmful things or fly high, but I don't want to be shot or anything either.

What do you guys do? Politics aside, I'm sure not everyone is driving to their nearest AMA approved field to fly in or just the property they own.

I'm in the UK so slightly different rules, but I just go to quiet places where nobody will even notice. Early in the morning is good too. What do you mean "areas not necessarily approved for flying"? As long as you are not in one of DJI's no fly zones and you keep clear of people who you might annoy, you should be good to fly.

So, I bought a Mavic Air a few months ago, but I've barely taken it out. Short reason is that I'm just too afraid to take her up into the air. I live in PA in the USA. There's tons of nice areas that I'd like to just kind of fly around. Corn fields, wooded areas, empty fields, stripping mines (not currently used ones). Areas that I'd consider 'safe' (no persons or persons property around), but not necessarily approved for flying. If I go by the rules, there's nearly nowhere near me within an hour plus drive that I'm not in range of a tower or something. I've tried to play fair and call them, but more often than not, there's no answer.

Anyway, so yea, I'm kind of afraid to take the thing out and put it in the sky! I dunno what to do with that. I don't want to do harmful things or fly high, but I don't want to be shot or anything either.

What do you guys do? Politics aside, I'm sure not everyone is driving to their nearest AMA approved field to fly in or just the property they own.

Use logic. Will flying around a particular cornfield cause anyone or anything any harm? Realistically? If the answer is no then go ahead and fly - responsibly.

I’m not afraid to fly, my concern is more about taking it far away out of sight. Why did you buy it with all this fear you have?

You're overthinking it. As long as safety is always on your mind you'll be fine. I usually fly in an abandoned naval base near me. I usually fly at daybreak or right before sunset when lighting for stills and videos tend to be best. My biggest concern is not the flying, but getting mugged which is why I never fly alone when I'm using my DJI goggles. Just spread out your wings and fly.

You're overthinking it. As long as safety is always on your mind you'll be fine. I usually fly in an abandoned naval base near me. I usually fly at daybreak or right before sunset when lighting for stills and videos tend to be best. My biggest concern is not the flying, but getting mugged which is why I never fly alone when I'm using my DJI goggles. Just spread out your wings and fly.

I think that's all it is. I'm overthinking it.

I agree with the others. It is always going to be a bit heart in mouth at the beginning but when you gain confidence you will really start to enjoy it. I live right in the middle of a DJI green zone but all I get is a nag screen saying that I have to confirm that I am going to fly with extra care. The Mavic Pro is so quiet compared to early drones and the Air should not be louder so as others have said, find a spot that is not on top of any houses and you will be fine.

Saying that i get the feeling that the public's reaction has hardened since I first got my old 1st gen Phantom a few years ago. Then I could take it to the local park and loads of people would come over keen to see it closer.

If you try calling any towers within the 5 mile radius and they don't answer, there's nothing more you can do. Like said above, as long as you're not in a no fly zone or over people you should be completely fine.

Take it slow and easy, find a large open field with no obstructions. Keep it close by and each flight take it a little farther and higher. After a short time you will gain confidence in the aircraft and the nerves will start to fade.
We all had the same issue when we started. And sometimes still have the nerve thing..
Happy flying

Reactions: sjnovakovich

Where is PA do yo live?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22