DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

After a flight do you format SD (after saving media)

Drony_Drone

Reactions
Wondering what the best way, after a flight, to do with the SD. Obviously save the pics and video, do you then format it? Noticed there is some large log files in there as well, are they any use if it was a successful flight? I know they are important if have a crash or problems.

Do you just delete the media manually, or format?

Thanks

What I do after every trip out is dump my sd card into a folder in my computer then i reformat in
the app. Some do it other ways but that is what i have always done. Gets old taking that card out every-time as i fly a lot but rather do that than transfer through the cord and bugger up that port.
I look at whatever i have in that folder later and keep what i want and delete the rest.

I reformatted and the log file after 2 batteries was 500Mb+ so not sure what’s in there or if important (probably so if a poor flight/interference/crash maybe).

I have to take the SD out, it’s really accessible on the MM anyway as I use a lightning to SD to copy to my iPhone, which in turn goes to iCloud.

Just wondering if I should then reformat in the app or just delete the files in the app, or maybe doesn’t make any difference. Although from my dash cam experience, a reformat in the device the SD is used with every once in a while is good practice.

remove card save to computer and then format in the drone using the app before i fly again

There is no reason at all to format all the time the card.
No it's not but if you lose your drone there goes all your media.
You might transfer you files every-time you fly but are you not using up space on you hard drive with that much space.

I just transfer files to a folder on my computer and delete the files on the card then put it back in the drone. Not sure why there is a need to reformat the card each time. I suspect if you don't reformat they are still really there and with certain software are available but the available space when I check it shows a full 32GB.

I just transfer files to a folder on my computer and delete the files on the card then put it back in the drone. Not sure why there is a need to reformat the card each time. I suspect if you don't reformat they are still really there and with certain software are available but the available space when I check it shows a full 32GB.
If you don't reformat the card when you dump it the next time isn't the older files in what you dumped the
next time ? Like have duplicates .

If you are using a Mac and just try to delete the media, it will not be removed from the card. It will be placed in another folder with in the card and not the trash bin. Folder is usually named trashes. I only mentioned this for some of those that do not know. Just a tip.
I personally always format in the aircraft. I have had issues in the past when formatting on a Mac or PC.

If you don't reformat the card when you dump it the next time isn't the older files in what you dumped the
I use a separate card for each flight (battery). I DL once home, to my iMac by inserting the card in the card reader, and of course organize the files. Then I just erase the files from the card by moving them to the trash on my computer and empty the trash. I don’t notice any file degradation or card limitations after over a year of doing it this way.
At intervals I move stored files to a large memory card for possible future use.

Well guess it don't matter and each has his own way. Hey if what you do pleases you do it.
I am. :)

You are correct in the sense that you do have to empty the trash after files are put in the trash. I did not make that clear in my response.

Reactions: Thomas B
You are correct in the sense that you do have to empty the trash after files are put in the trash. I did not make that clear in my response.
What i was saying is this. Say i start off with a new card and go out and take 100 pictures.
I come in remove the card and take those 100 off and are in a file on my Mac .
Go back out the next day and don't reformat and take 100 more and come back and dump that in a new folder for that day it shows 200 pictures.If i had reformatted it would have been only the 100 i took that day.
That was what i was trying to say but did it poorly.

Reactions: old man mavic
I move my files to ext drive but also keep them on SD... When close to full I will erase... I have 128gb
This is what I do as well. I have only once tried to fly and had the bird tell me my card was full.

I always format in the bird. I had problems when I tried to format outside.

What i was saying is this. Say i start off with a new card and go out and take 100 pictures.
I come in remove the card and take those 100 off and are in a file on my Mac .
Go back out the next day and don't reformat and take 100 more and come back and dump that in a new folder for that day it shows 200 pictures.If i had reformatted it would have been only the 100 i took that day.
That was what i was trying to say but did it poorly.
Understand better now.... and yes that problem is a Major nuisance... clearly your method works! Thumbswayup
I’m just lazy so after I DL to my iMac. On the SD card I drag the vids and pics from that card to my iMac trash and empty... not promoting either. Everyone should use a workflow that suits them and accomplishes the ultimate goal.
It’s not a race or competition. :)

Understand better now.... and yes that problem is a Major nuisance... clearly your method works! Thumbswayup
I’m just lazy so after I DL to my iMac. On the SD card I drag the vids and pics from that card to my iMac trash and empty... not promoting either. Everyone should use a workflow that suits them and accomplishes the ultimate goal.
It’s not a race or competition. :)
Well to be honest I hadn’t thought of doing it that way.
Just a old habit I have and is just second nature , don’t even think about it. :)

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54