DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

After Crash Gimble Cover Doesn't Fit

jclarkw

Reactions
I crashed my Mavic Air 2 into a tree. Although everything else seems to work, the gimble cover no longer fits. Closer examination shows that the "front panel" just behind the gimble is displaced at an angle. Thus the cover clip only engages on one side and is too easy to knock off -- see attached photos.

Should I attempt a repair myself, send it back to the factory, or just live with it? If repair myself, any idea how? The front panel is not loose and does not appear to want to "snap" back in place.

Any help appreciated -- jclarkw

Attachments

• 20211229-IMG_1881.jpg
    20211229-IMG_1881.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211228-IMG_1880.jpg
    20211228-IMG_1880.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 33
Can you not take off the heat sink panel with the several screws holding it on, or maybe just the four that are close to the panel that is cockeyed? I think that wouldn't be much of a risk in damaging something, I would try that, looks to me like an easy fix. T

Reactions: jclarkw
Can you not take off the heat sink panel with the several screws holding it on, or maybe just the four that are close to the panel that is cockeyed? I think that wouldn't be much of a risk in damaging something, I would try that, looks to me like an easy fix. T
Thanks! Will try that and report back. Do you know of any images showing what I will get into if I have to take the bottom body panel completely off? -- jclarkw

Not that I can point to, but in the vid I saw he did it and it didn't appear to be any trouble at all. Might want to get some further advice if you're not sure. I would not hesitate to carefully take it off, or at least loosen all the screws in order to lift the front end of the heat sink up and see if that will allow you to move the panel back into position. Let me know how it goes, T

Reactions: lensimages
Not that I can point to, but in the vid I saw he did it and it didn't appear to be any trouble at all. Might want to get some further advice if you're not sure. I would not hesitate to carefully take it off, or at least loosen all the screws in order to lift the front end of the heat sink up and see if that will allow you to move the panel back into position. Let me know how it goes, T
I know I saw either a video (probably) or some photos of the internals of a MA2, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm not really that afraid of opening the case, but I'd like to review the video/pictures first... -- jclarkw

Found it! Here's the link:

And here's another useful illustrated disassembly:

You were right. It was an easy fix after I managed to dig out the plug of glue that they put in the socket of one of the bolts (tamper indicator?). Not sure exactly how that little panel went cockeyed, given that all the bolts were tight, but it dropped back into place in the obvious way. Thanks again! -- jclarkw

I crashed my Mavic Air 2 into a tree. Although everything else seems to work, the gimble cover no longer fits. Closer examination shows that the "front panel" just behind the gimble is displaced at an angle. Thus the cover clip only engages on one side and is too easy to knock off -- see attached photos.

Should I attempt a repair myself, send it back to the factory, or just live with it? If repair myself, any idea how? The front panel is not loose and does not appear to want to "snap" back in place.

Any help appreciated -- jclarkw
Doesnt look too dificult to at least see whats happened inside. Is it under warranty, if so I would not try my own repair.

Teardown video for Mavic air teardown mavic air 2s - Bing video Removal of the distorted panel is at around 1 min 30

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121