DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First serious crash đź’Ą

Marcel Paris

Reactions
Yesterday, I was flying my DJI mini 2 looking through the window of a burned apartment. I took off from a seven storey building so the height goes into the negatives. Anyway, I was flying really near the burned apartment when a gust of wind knocked me in. I panicked and instead of hitting the stop button, I tried to fly left but I was in cine mode and couldn’t stop in time. My drone immediately tilted to the right, and was unable to recover from the fall. It fell in a relatively deep empty swimming pool and the camera gimbal and the front left propeller stick thing can’t stay in the retracted or fully extended position. The sim card is also damaged so I only have a screen recording of the crash. There is also quite a deep crack in on the top shell of the drone and something is rattling inside. The black camera guard also doesn’t fit very well. Surprisingly, the drone still works but the camera won’t transmit data to my phone. I think repairs won’t be that much considering it still flies.

Link to the video⬇️

If you flew it in that state you are NUTS.
In fact, unless it was a very gentle hover 'launched' from a hand that was lowered away from it with the right front arm jammed into the airframe somehow, I don't see how it could possibly fly.

I think repairs won’t be that much considering it still flies.

The top and middle shells need replacing and the gimbal's ribbon cable appears to be either ripped or pulled of the board inside trhe drone.
Replacing the middle shell means the drone has to be completely dismantled with the motor wiring being unsoldered and then resoldered.
I have a vague recollection that the damaged gimbal ribbon cable grounds the drone, am I wrong?
So, unless you have care refresh, I can't see this being cheap. I can see three legs on the gimbal that look ok but the video doesn't show the fourth leg, if the fourth leg is bust then that will add to the cost.

Post the flight log perhaps?

Reactions: RodPad
Was not aware it fell 75 ft , If I were going to attempt that , I would have used the zoom first and decided exactly where to go. Definitely pilot errors as others have suggested.
Edited:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , and Zoom in without entry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honk and RodPad
This is great example of how fragile the smaller drones are as that barely dropped a few feet it seems. I think with the Mavic 3 and GPS would have been little zoom in and gone ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , and Zoom in without entry.
This incident has nothing to do with drone 'fragility', the result of unexpectedly entering ATTI mode would most likely have been the same, only WAY more expensive with a Hasselblad branded camera dangling from a broken gimbal :)

If you are doing that kind of flying where there are so many close objects get a prop guards. That could save your drone from crashing. Still not GPS signal by going close to a structure is pilot error. You always need to assumed you will lose signal and be ready.

This is great example of how fragile the smaller drones are as that barely dropped a few feet it seems.
The OP says it hit the wall on the seventh story of a building and landed in an empty swimming pool. So, the fall was 75 feet or so, onto a hard surface. The damage isn't a good indicator of fragility. A bowling ball would likely have sustained damage in a similar fall.

I have been watching this thread.

All these members are giving you good info.

Your still going to get back to us?

Welcome to the forum!

Rod ..

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl
If you flew it in that state you are NUTS.
In fact, unless it was a very gentle hover 'launched' from a hand that was lowered away from it with the right front arm jammed into the airframe somehow, I don't see how it could possibly fly.

The top and middle shells need replacing and the gimbal's ribbon cable appears to be either ripped or pulled of the board inside trhe drone.
Replacing the middle shell means the drone has to be completely dismantled with the motor wiring being unsoldered and then resoldered.
I have a vague recollection that the damaged gimbal ribbon cable grounds the drone, am I wrong?
So, unless you have care refresh, I can't see this being cheap. I can see three legs on the gimbal that look ok but the video doesn't show the fourth leg, if the fourth leg is bust then that will add to the cost.

Post the flight log perhaps?
I mean the lights on the drone still work but it doesn’t fly

Replace it. not worth fixing. We crashed an EVO 2 only damage was the gimble. New camera and gimble $950. An impact of that force probably damaged something internally. Also, an impact like that, the battery would not be in my house, it is a potential timebomb. I have worked enough LIPO battery fire scenes to not trust a damaged battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne