DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

After crash protocol

whazzup

Reactions
It has been said that UAS pilots either have crashed or will crash, but crashed are inevitable.

With that in mind, my Mini 3 Pro had its first encounter with a tree branch from about 6-8 feet. The branch was smaller than the detection threshold of the sensors, and I just misjudged the distance (despite being only a few feet away). Clearly pilot error, and a learning experience.

I picked the drone up, dusted it off and checked the blades, screw tightness and all seemed ok. It flew just fine afterward.

I just wanted to check to see if there is a process to follow after a minor scuffle like that. Are there other safety checks I need to make. Thanks in advance.

Did you check the tree? 🤣 Just kidding!
I think you did the right thing checking things over. Blades, screws, arms, gimbal, body cracks, check the battery compartment (still closes and latches) and the battery is still seated.
I have a Mini 2 so not familiar with the Mini 3 Pro. Are the motors open or are they covered? My Mini 2 the motors are open so I like to check to make sure nothing is down in there especially near the prop shaft, but also that anything that might mess with the electrical operation. Since yours flies fine, you're probably good.

Twist the blade tips slightly, crack edges can 'mate' so perfectly that the crack can be invisible unless the light catches it "just right".

Check the gimbal's mounting rubbers are correctly seated, you'd need to google that.

1) Indoors in a WELL lit room or out of doors on a truly windless day, hover the drone at eye level, slowly spin it and check that the rear arm droops are symmetrical with each other and that front arm droops are symmetrical with each other.
2) From memory the front arms are attached to the drone's shell by a pivot (the black bit ?) that is clamped to the outer face of the drones shell, much like the rear arms of the Mini 1 & Mini 2. Check there is no play between that "black bit ?" and the drones shell.
3) Low down command, short, sharp, full speed climbs and descents and watch for arm movement relative to the drones body.

I did 1) and 3) with a Mavic 2 that took a proper fall, my fault.
1) picked up damage to the pivot of the drones front arms ( not the same arrangement as the mini 3). It might be applicable to mini 3 rear arm pivots but I don't remember for certain.
3) picked up externally invisible damages to my Mavic 2's rear arm pivot. 3) might show up a loose mini 3 front arm mounting.

2) is not applicable to the Mavic 2 but is applicable to a wrecked Mini 2 that I bought and found damage to both rear pivot mountings, actually to the drone's shell where those pivots are clamped to the shell.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv