DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aftermarket Mini Propeller

Slade

Reactions
Does anyone know if aftermarket propellers are available for the Mini and if so, do they help avoid uncommanded descents (Sar104 has done extensive testing on this problem. Kudos to him. Way above my skill set)? Thanks.

ebay and amazon are riddled with them.There was also a thread about them here, I think, (carbon fibre I think) and the OP had to files their mounts or holes, which I found a scary thought. Most seem to be sold loose which begs the question are they balanced etc.?

Reactions: Slade
Carbon fiber would not be my choice.
I seem to remember that possibly one of the anafi drones may be a match.
I‘ll do a little digging.

Reactions: Slade
Maybe the Spark propellers that are also removable?

1.png

Sure looks similar.

The Anafi props are very similar, but the hubs need to be filed down a bit to fit.

@Slade have you had any uncommanded descents, or are you just worried that you might experience one and want to do what you can to avoid it happening? I've read a lot into it and think the problem mostly lies in how the blades are stored. If they are squashed or bent in any way then they seem to retain that deformed shape for a while, which can badly affect their performance. The flymore case can put enough pressure on the blades to deform them if they're not carefully stowed. I have had my MM for 8mths and am still using the original blades. I always store the drone in the flymore case when I'm not using it, but I am pedantically careful with the blades to ensure they are not getting pressed by the case, or by each other. Even folding them over each other, as per DJI instructions and how the drone is shipped, can bend the tips of the blades downwards. This is particularly an issue on the rear props as the motors are canted outwards slightly.

I guess I would opt for stiffer to avoid compression issues.

I would opt for stiffer props too, with the caveat that if the props are stiffer then the flexing that currently manifests in OEM props then transfers to the arms if the props are made stiffer. Given that quite a few people have had problems with the arms being too flexible, and been forced to mod the arms to add stiffness, stiffer props might not be the magic cure.

It gives me no pleasure to type this, but the bottom line is that the MM is deeply compromised design (basically it's designed down to a weight) and there might not be any easy fixes unfortunately.

Reactions: Capt KO and Starz
I will stick my oar in and say, after sorting out what I think is a safe, undistorting storage method I have no problems with the DJI props and my mini has be flown for several miles (total) over open sea and, through an error on my part, climbed to 875ft, all without a hiccup. I do however carry over from my Phantom flying a "do not update unless forced to" policy so all the software is as it arrived.

Reactions: Cw4bray
I went wild after going through the "replace the props" warnings I got after update the firmware and ordered them from three different sources and they have all finally arrived. I haven't installed any of them because my mini flies just fine and I no longer get any warnings. But when you order any replacements, be sure they have the identifying marks on the tips so you can tell where they go. One set were all blank so you would not know where they go and they look all the same. I also during got the prompt, after the original warning, to download the new firmware for the the batteries after the early replace the props warnings and after that I have not had any issues even though my original props show some slight roughness and a small chip out of one of the blades from "trimming a shrub" in my barnyard. After all that, it's never flown better with the original props. Go figure.

With the blades all the same way up, if you point the outer end of the blades towards yourself and the pivot away from yourself, half of the blades will have their high side (leading edge) to the right and the other half will have their high side to the left. They are handed.
If the blades are the correct way up those blades with their high side to the left are clockwise blades for the left front and right rear motors.

The Anafi props are very similar, but the hubs need to be filed down a bit to fit.

@Slade have you had any uncommanded descents, or are you just worried that you might experience one and want to do what you can to avoid it happening? I've read a lot into it and think the problem mostly lies in how the blades are stored. If they are squashed or bent in any way then they seem to retain that deformed shape for a while, which can badly affect their performance. The flymore case can put enough pressure on the blades to deform them if they're not carefully stowed. I have had my MM for 8mths and am still using the original blades. I always store the drone in the flymore case when I'm not using it, but I am pedantically careful with the blades to ensure they are not getting pressed by the case, or by each other. Even folding them over each other, as per DJI instructions and how the drone is shipped, can bend the tips of the blades downwards. This is particularly an issue on the rear props as the motors are canted outwards slightly.
Thanks for your reply. I recently received my Mini and I’m being cautious after learning about deformed props causing issues. I’ll be sure to be careful. Thanks again. Happy Flying

Reactions: scro
Thank you to everyone for their thoughtful replies. I appreciate your guidance and helpful hints. Happy Flying???

Reactions: scro
Carbon fiber would not be my choice.
I seem to remember that possibly one of the anafi drones may be a match.
I‘ll do a little digging.

I tried the Carbon Fiber props on my Mini and they SUCK.

Unbalanced and they are poorly machined and finished.

Avoid them.

Reactions: ff22
After over 100 trouble free miles on my MM, I thought I’d change the props as preventative maintenance. Picked up a set of quiet props from Amazon and they work great. Tomorrow morning I’ll get the name of them for you.
E6396502-8F3D-49FD-9653-BBA092BA2009.png They work fine but there’s nothing quick release about them.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569