DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aftermarket Props?

Broken Star Photo

Reactions
Has anyone had any good and/or bad experiences using aftermarket brand props on their M2P? Any input is appreciated.

I would only use Master Airscrew [MAS] prop's as a replacement for DJI stock ...
However - there are no MAS prop's built for the Mavic 2 Pro series yet - so stick with your DJI 8743 prop's designed specifically for this airframe.

I'm lucky: I've read enough horror reports of 3rd party props on these forums (followed by lots of comments on how they should not have done that) that I spend the extra 2 bucks and have never had a crash due to a lost or broken prop.

Reactions: Camino Ken
I have yet to understand why anyone would use aftermarket props. The risk is too high. As Cereal posted above, I don’t think I have ever seen a problem post that started with “after I put on my factory props”. I have seen a ton that start with the converse. Any cost savings are minuscule compared with the cost of the drone and any performance improvements (which I am skeptical) are not worth it. I would argue that the props are the single most important component that keeps our birds in the air so why take the chance.

With my mavic pro I could not easily hear it when above 100m, The M2P is easily audible at 200m altitude hundreds of meters away. I much preferred the stealth. It draws unwanted attention now.

With my mavic pro I could not easily hear it when above 100m, The M2P is easily audible at 200m altitude hundreds of meters away. I much preferred the stealth. It draws unwanted attention now.
You must have the ear of bionic woman ?
Seriously, I found the opposite to be true. My M2P is significantly quieter than my M1P at close range. I was impressed by it's quietness right away when I launched the M2P for the first time. Both are dead quiet at "200m altitude hundreds of meters away".

Last edited:
I have yet to understand why anyone would use aftermarket props. The risk is too high. As Cereal posted above, I don’t think I have ever seen a problem post that started with “after I put on my factory props”. I have seen a ton that start with the converse. Any cost savings are minuscule compared with the cost of the drone and any performance improvements (which I am skeptical) are not worth it. I would argue that the props are the single most important component that keeps our birds in the air so why take the chance.
That's precisely why I use Master Airscrew prop's for my Mavic Pro ... MAS has been building prop's for model aircraft since 1976. MAS prop's are definitely an UPGRADE for my Mavic Pro and I'd not go back to using DJI. I put my trust in a company that is 100% focused on the airscrew, and with a lot more experience in the field than DJI has. Some of the reasons for this:
- DJI 8330 and 8331 prop's get damaged much more easily than the MAS prop's (which are glass-fibre composite).
- MAS prop's are even quieter than the DJI 8331 'Quiet' prop's.
- MAS prop's are more efficient, giving the same lift at lower rpm - therefore reducing battery drain and extending flight duration
- MAS prop's cost me £2 more for a set of 4 - but due to their longer life (more resistant to damage), the cost is worth it.
... and to follow the - I have ever seen a problem post that started with “after I put on my factory props” - statement ... That's actually very very far from true! By far, most of the 'issues' you will see in this forum are concerning Mavic's fitted with DJI stock prop's. There are, however, 'cheap' cloned prop's out there that I would not touch with a barge pole!

MavPro_wrap.jpg

Last edited:
You must have the ear of bionic woman ?
Seriously, I found the opposite to be true. My M2P is significantly quieter than my M1P at close range. I was impressed by it's quietness right away when I launched the M2P for the first time. Both are dead quiet at "200m altitude hundreds of meters away".
I second this notion. M2P is quieter than Mavic Air and M1P. I've got good hearing, and the M2P is silent above 80M.

That's precisely why I use Master Airscrew prop's for my Mavic Pro ... MAS has been building prop's for model aircraft since 1976. MAS prop's are definitely an UPGRADE for my Mavic Pro and I'd not go back to using DJI. I put my trust in a company that is 100% focused on the airscrew, and with a lot more experience in the field than DJI has. Some of the reasons for this:
- DJI 8330 and 8331 prop's get damaged much more easily than the MAS prop's (which are glass-fibre composite).
- MAS prop's are even quieter than the DJI 8331 'Quiet' prop's.
- MAS prop's are more efficient, giving the same lift at lower rpm - therefore reducing battery drain and extending flight duration
- MAS prop's cost me £2 more for a set of 4 - but due to their longer life (more resistant to damage), the cost is worth it.
... and to follow the - I have ever seen a problem post that started with “after I put on my factory props” - statement ... That's actually very very far from true! By far, most of the 'issues' you will see in this forum are concerning Mavic's fitted with DJI stock prop's. There are, however, 'cheap' cloned prop's out there that I would not touch with a barge pole!

View attachment 89601
Hi FoxhallGH - I appreciate your passionate recommendation or your vendor of choice. I was not intending to disparage any company or anyone’s choices. And to your rebuttal to my statement “after I put on my factory props”. I would agree that there are a lot of problems when using the factory props but a minuscule amount that are actually due to an issue with the props. Statistically, aftermarket props, in general cause many more problems, maybe with the exception of Master Screw based on your anecdotal usage.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Thanks for the replies all. I asked the question as I had ordered a set of Obeka props from Amazon before asking. I had second thoughts before they arrived. They arrived yesterday. Looking at them they appear to be nearly identical, you pick them up and feel them. They're so thin they feel like potato chips! There's no way I will ever trust them on my drone! I am interested in the MAS props if they ever come out with them tho.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Thanks for the replies all. I asked the question as I had ordered a set of Obeka props from Amazon before asking. I had second thoughts before they arrived. They arrived yesterday. Looking at them they appear to be nearly identical, you pick them up and feel them. They're so thin they feel like potato chips! There's no way I will ever trust them on my drone! I am interested in the MAS props if they ever come out with them tho.
Master Airscrew [MAS] have been promising a Prop-set for the Mavic 2 series for about a year now. They seem to be hot on making an improvement with their product - so this could be one of those occasions where they can't significantly improve on the stock DJI offering ... [??]. All of their other offerings for the DJI models, are advertising (and anecdotal evidence backs that up) that the prop's are more efficient than the stock DJI prop's supplied with that model. MAS don't seem to be a company that just release prop's for the sake of it ...

I understand that Master Airscrew did not come with propellers for M2P, they for M1P worked perfectly ok in M2P.

If they are then the best I would like to return to, both DJI's 8743F and "Carbon Fiber Foldable Quick-Realese Propeller Props Blades", have their pretty serious flaws.

This is especially true for those who fly search missions in forests, where it is next to impossible not to injure one or more propellers every now and then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon