DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

aftermath videos/photos

edfrombama

Reactions
Good morning to all-
Last night we had a pretty salty little thunderstorm blow through, and lots of folks lost trees and had other "minor" damage. I got to chainsaw up downed trees myself early,
But then since the rain had stopped, I launched my Mini 2 and flew over the neighborhood to see if others were damaged, too. Interesting to see trees down and stuff blown around from above.
Question: Have any of you good folks ever flown over storm/fire, tsunami/tornado damaged areas? What was your impression after your flights? Did you video/photograph the damage?

It seems to me that post-disaster drone photo work might be very helpful for folks sometimes.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

@Eagle Eye 62 makes a very good point.

One way you could be helpful is documenting damage for insurance for neighbors. Offer. Also, even if there isn't a TFR and it's okay to fly, you should still let any Emergency Responders where you plan to fly know, give them your phone number.

If they ask you not to fly, don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lob's Falcon
You need to be careful. Depending on how serious the event is the FAA will create temporary flight restrictions in order to protect first responders, etc. The fines are pretty big if you get caught. Your situation probably does not qualify, but it is better to be safe than sorry before you fly.
The potential fines aren't the big problem. A report of a drone can cause emergency response aircraft to be grounded at a time when they're really needed.

So my take on this , is pretty straight forward , if you are first on scene , than I would go up and shoot as much as you can , however once support shows up that is the time to step back .

As any kind of Air Support coming in that sees a drone will for whatever reason will halt all operations , knowing this ! it is best to not be in the Air once support arrives .

I would than run thru whatever footage you managed to get and if you see something of interest on your video, someone trapped , or wires ect , let them know.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , for search and See.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sevimli