DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 camera vs Air 1 - Washed Out

rxlawdude

Reactions
Hi, sorry for starting a new thread, but I couldn't find other messages on point.

Just got my MA2 and have taken it on several flights with 4K video (various settings, including EV). Video seems rather flat (lack of contrast) and colors are muted.

I just received my ND filters and with an ND16, it's better.

But my concern is video from my MA1 using stock settings and no ND filter at all in the same scene and same lighting looks awesome with no real need for post.

Thoughts as to why the MA2 video, even with ND16, looks less impressive than MA1 with no ND?

Hi, sorry for starting a new thread, but I couldn't find other messages on point.

Just got my MA2 and have taken it on several flights with 4K video (various settings, including EV). Video seems rather flat (lack of contrast) and colors are muted.

I just received my ND filters and with an ND16, it's better.

But my concern is video from my MA1 using stock settings and no ND filter at all in the same scene and same lighting looks awesome with no real need for post.

Thoughts as to why the MA2 video, even with ND16, looks less impressive than MA1 with no ND?
My thought is you need to post the video , as there could be an issue or it could be just something that needs to be changed. I see a lot of video where the pilot is flying in the shadows and not really aware there is no light.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2 in the Pouring Rain and Land on water.

Reactions: Thomas B
Last edited:
That is 360 Resolution ?
Must be google processing the video. The comparison with MA1 link is added, but you need to manually up resolution to 1080p.

EDIT: Google takes some time to correctly display HD content, and instead uses 360p as a placeholder. It should go full resolution (using Elon Musk's language) "soon."

Must be google processing the video. The comparison with MA1 link is added, but you need to manually up resolution to 1080p.
Are you sure that you did not pull this from the Cashe and not the SD card ? Its still at 360

Are you sure that you did not pull this from the Cashe and not the SD card ? Its still at 360
I just uploaded it, and there are plenty of internet postings about the low-res proxies until Google processes. The uploaded file is 1GB and shows that property on Google Drive, so it's just "hurry up and wait." :confused:

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I suspect you are using the d-cinelike setting it’s intended to be flat. So that it has more dynamic range but requires colour correction in post.
Change over to normal and see if that helps. You can test without flying just walk around your place holding it. Using each setting

Attachments

• A81CD02D-777E-4E20-82A5-E316E401A83E.png
    A81CD02D-777E-4E20-82A5-E316E401A83E.png
    147 KB · Views: 19
I suspect you are using the d-cinelike setting it’s intended to be flat. So that it has more dynamic range but requires colour correction in post.
Change over to normal and see if that helps. You can test without flying just walk around your place holding it. Using each setting
Yep, it just took a lot more experimenting (and the sun has been peek-a-boo this afternoon), and I finally found for sun, use of Normal, EV -.3, and ND16 seem to bring back the colors. (I had been using both normal and d-cinelike in prior experiments and didn't find much change in terms of the washout effect, but with these settings the colors now look great.

Thanks, everyone for the input! While I wish this was as much plug-and-play as the MA1, with these tweaks things look better with the MA2.

Yes i tried d-cinelike a few times i really dont like it at all .full auto looks way better plus you can still adjust in post if you wish.
this was filmed in full auto. MA2 no nd filter.4k,30

Yes i tried d-cinelike a few times i really dont like it at all .full auto looks way better plus you can still adjust in post if you wish.
this was filmed in full auto. MA2 no nd filter.4k,30
Thanks! What was your EV set to? There's definitely a difference in camera behavior between the MA1 and 2. ND filters seem to be mandatory for the 2 in most shooting situations (sun).

The cinelike profile, needs a gamma curve added in post because it's so flat and there is no reason it cannot look as good and if not better then the normal profile.

If you want there is a lut that does most of the work for you you may find it easier and preferable. I know if I am in a rush I just use this LUT, thanks to this user on the DJI forum - Link here DJI Mavic AIR 2 Cinelike LUT - FREE

I like shooting in cinelike as I always have the flatter profile as the original file meaning I can make it look how I want at any time. WHereas once in the normal profile It's impossible to go back. Especially important with shots that require a higher contrast for me.

However, for most people if you never color grade I really would not bother with cinelike. It creates an extra step in post that MUST be performed every time if you want a decent image.

The cinelike profile, needs a gamma curve added in post because it's so flat and there is no reason it cannot look as good and if not better then the normal profile.

If you want there is a lut that does most of the work for you you may find it easier and preferable. I know if I am in a rush I just use this LUT, thanks to this user on the DJI forum - Link here DJI Mavic AIR 2 Cinelike LUT - FREE

I like shooting in cinelike as I always have the flatter profile as the original file meaning I can make it look how I want at any time. WHereas once in the normal profile It's impossible to go back. Especially important with shots that require a higher contrast for me.

However, for most people if you never color grade I really would not bother with cinelike. It creates an extra step in post that MUST be performed every time if you want a decent image.
Thanks for this information. I use Vegas Pro 15, and I see that I can apply LUTs there. I'll try playing with this, although frankly I'd prefer the native footage to be close to what I want the final to look like, because I hate re-rendering. :mad:

Just a quick bump for a new problem I had today.

About to start a flight with video at 4K 24fps. My phone's picture from the bird was hashed lines (like you see in overexposed areas with the overexposure indicator).

I switched to 1080p, and picture returned. Went back to 4K and problem resumed. I let the bird take off and recorded in 4K anyway so I'd have a record of the camera issue.

When I looked at the SDHC card's video, it was perfect as usual. So the problem was between the bird and the remote/phone setup. I went back outside and just set it to record to its internal memory, and the video feed on the phone was perfect. I was sweating the thought of a return for warranty work, but it was just an odd, one-time communication/rendering glitch.

All is good, and thanks again for everyone's help with my initial issue of washed out colors. An ND 16 and -.3 EV does the trick, and the sunny day videos really pop!

They are 2 separate systems (basically) On-Board system & Transmission System.-

The signal sent to the controller can be affected by interference and the like. If you are in an area that is giving signal problems there is a setting to dial down the resolution of the transmitting video. it turns down the resolution of the video transmitted.

But all the while with or without transmission video problems the Drone will record video just fine. You can even lose transmission signal & video entirely without affecting the quality of the on-board video. I'm not exactly sure if perhaps stops recording if you lose signal I have not tested that and I would hope not and assume as such. I only have had rare interference in my time with this drone.

They are 2 separate systems (basically) On-Board system & Transmission System.-

The signal sent to the controller can be affected by interference and the like. If you are in an area that is giving signal problems there is a setting to dial down the resolution of the transmitting video. it turns down the resolution of the video transmitted.

But all the while with or without transmission video problems the Drone will record video just fine. You can even lose transmission signal & video entirely without affecting the quality of the on-board video. I'm not exactly sure if perhaps stops recording if you lose signal I have not tested that and I would hope not and assume as such. I only have had rare interference in my time with this drone.
Right, my initial concern was the transmission was indicative of what was being recorded onboard. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54