DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 hand catching observation....

I approach from bottom and grasp it then use my left hand to put the left joystick down and too the left it will fight a little then it will turn off. My biggest thing is i have to be careful to grab it quickly if iv brought it under my porch or it will try to go up if i approach it to slow.

The only other odd thing is when i do this the gimble always goes to one side.

I've seen drones flipped over also but not an air2. That video you gave is of a mini. I have no hands on experience with the mini BUT, I believe the air2 is way stronger and harder to flip over. I'm not going to try it again till I see others doing it. When I said it got mean, I mean it went nuts.

I got a new MA2 the other day and flown it a few times and quick flip turned it off no problem.

If I need to land my MA2 without touching the ground, (too sandy, grassy or wet) I hover it just above me, put my open palm about 2 feet under it, and then push the stick down and let it slowly descend onto my hand. I never "catch" the bird in the air and i think it's not really a proper way. Tried it with my Mini, but I found that I need to exert considerable force to flip the bird to it's side. My motto is, if you need to force something to do something, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

I flip mine to Sport mode when I hand catch it, to turn off the front / back obstacle avoidance sensors and it seems to work fine for me so far.

Reactions: Tentoes
I've seen drones flipped over also but not an air2. That video you gave is of a mini. I have no hands on experience with the mini BUT, I believe the air2 is way stronger and harder to flip over. I'm not going to try it again till I see others doing it. When I said it got mean, I mean it went nuts.
This is essentially what happened to me when I grabbed it, it really really was fighting to stay stationary, and I mean it really got mean. That's when I thought what would happen if it "slipped" from someone's grip when it was doing that. That's when I let it go and it shot 8-10' forward. Didn't do it in other directions, only forward. The second time I did it forward is when it took off and flipped over.

I went to try it again and get it on video this time and the **** thing was acting normal and didn't get mean in trying to stay in it's hover spot. I even pulled the thing back like 2 feet from it's hover spot and it gingerly glided back to it's hover spot. I was in a different location (on the grass vs concrete) just in case it wanted to flip over again, so maybe it was something to do with the obstacle differences between the two locations. The first time when it really fought it might have been picking up my shop, but it was still 10 feet away from the position. The second time was in my backyard.

with any drone with GPS it holds its position by knowing where it is in space using the sats ,but this is only accurate to around 8ft orso, thats why when its close to the ground ,the bottom sensors come into play and help to pinpoint its position so when you let it go, it flew away because the sensors were covered by your hand, then they kicked in again and it tried to return to its original position its the same thing if you hover at just above head height the pull the drone in any direction it will try and resist and then when you let go it will move back to its original position
No problem, this was more of a reporting for people to understand. Many people do palm land their drone, but I have had some times where I need to get positive control of the craft without the delay in the drone go into landing mode. When gaining positive control of the craft, the craft will resist because it's trying to maintain the same location to hover. This is where I noticed that the strength of resistance was more, way more than I expected. This is where I thought what if someone gains positive control of the craft but doesn't have enough control and it slips from their hands. That's when I tested grabbing the craft, and pulling it back a little (I pulled it back maybe 2-3") and release the craft to see how far it will rebound to maintain it's position. That is when the aircraft rebounded forward 8-10 feet, which seemed excessive to me. I tried the same in all other directions and the craft would rebound about a foot or two and drift back to it's original position. But when pulling it 2-3" to the rear it rebounded way way more then would drift back to it's original position.
Why are you “pulling” it at all? If you keep the left stick pulled down it will land in your hand.

Reactions: aokusman
.Wasn't sure if this might be a bug in the firmware or if it's intended to do that, but wanted to at least share the experience.
Okay, I get what you’re saying, and the 8-10 foot rebound upon letting go seems a little strange, but I’ll agree with others who say you should land on your hand, left stick down till motors stop, then grab the Mavic.

I just got back from trying to grab (over soft turf) all my Mavics in the fashion you describe, with all sensors in default “on” setting. Each one resisted the grab and took off a couple feet to a steady hover, but none of them jumped 8-10 feet. But each one also allowed me to land on hand, power down the motors, then grab. So your observation seems to be an anomaly.

Please share your findings from DJI.

Hand catching process is no different to landing the drone on the ground.

Hand catching process is no different to landing the drone on the ground.
not quite true, if you land on the ground ,you dont run the risk of injury if it goes wrong ,but yes its just stick down, till the motors stop if thats what you mean

not quite true, if you land on the ground ,you dont run the risk of injury if it goes wrong ,but yes its just stick down, till the motors stop if thats what you mean

What risk? AC is floating in front of me, I put my open palm underneath and press the left stick down. Aircraft lands in my palm, I wait for propellers to stop spinning. Done.

Just got my MA2 the other day, and last night I hand caught it a couple of times, but I noticed something when I did it. I noticed that it pulled really hard against my hand, so I tested a few things, mainly it trying to keep the same hover location. When I pulled it down and let go it did fly up as it was trying to adjust, but it didn't fly up much. Then I tried pulling it back and let go and when I let go of it, it shot 8-10 ft forward, stabilized and then drifted back to the original location. I tried it one more time, and when I let go it shot forward, flipped over and crashed. Fortunately the only thing that got damage (because I was stupid and on concrete at the time) was a little bit of scuffing on the nose plate and one of the front antenna/legs. Once I made sure everything else was fine, I too it to soft grass area and did a few more tests. I tried pulling the aircraft forward and to each side to see if it did the same things as for the distance it shot forward, and it didn't. It resisted and did shoot back in the opposite direction that I was pulling it, but it only overshot the original position by maybe a foot or so. Tested it again by pulling it towards the rear, and again it shot 8-10 ft forward and then came back. I also tried to not block any of the obstacle sensors other than the ones on the bottom.

Wasn't sure if this might be a bug in the firmware or if it's intended to do that, but wanted to at least share the experience.

When you say “flipped over” do you mean that it did this in the air? Or did it hit something before the crash?

What risk? AC is floating in front of me, I put my open palm underneath and press the left stick down. Aircraft lands in my palm, I wait for propellers to stop spinning. Done.
i would have thought that was obvious ,the risk of injury from the spinning props

When you say “flipped over” do you mean that it did this in the air? Or did it hit something before the crash?
i believe he means that when the drone has landed in your hand, it is possible to stop the motors by gripping the drone and turning it over to one side and the motors stop ,

i believe he means that when the drone has landed in your hand, it is possible to stop the motors by gripping the drone and turning it over to one side and the motors stop ,

OP wrote
tried it one more time, and when I let go it shot forward, flipped over and crashed.

If that happened without colliding with something, it would be the second time I’ve heard about a Mavic flipping over while in the air (this one crashed though).

OP wrote

If that happened without colliding with something, it would be the second time I’ve heard about a Mavic flipping over while in the air (this one crashed though).

This is correct, it did not collide with anything, it actually flipped forward on it's own when I released the aircraft.

What is odd is that I haven't been able to reproduce the problem, however I was in another location than where I was when this happened. I don't want to do it again in the original location because of concrete ground vs grass.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54