DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 left stick question

Jeffro15

Reactions
I am a newbie at drones, but have much flying experience.

The controller is like a regular helicopter, but up/down is backwards. In every aircraft I am aware of you push to go down, and pull to go up. It's really messing with me.

Does anyone know of a fix/patch/hack to correct this issue?

Thanks,
Jeffro15

If you're referring to increasing and decreasing the altitude, then moving the stick up ascends the drone, while down descends the drone. It's normal stick behavior in the RC world for it to work that way.

You'll definitely have to retrain your brain to get used to it, I don't think there's a mod for that, but maybe someone on here with more insights can chime in.

welcome to the forum,
its to do with the way the drone is controlled it has fixed pitch props and ascends ,and descends by use of the throttle,so pushing the stick up increases motor speed and the drone goes up move sticks down and the drone will descend,in a aircraft the engine runs at a constant speed and the height is controlled by the pitch of the aircraft ,pitch up and it will climb pitch down and it descends,it can be difficult to adjust to this if you have flown a lot of fixed wing models ,even full size aircraft pilots find it a problem,when they first start

Reactions: Shark86x
Can confirm this is adjustable in the Custom Mode control setting, and I have inverted the elevator stick myself. Be sure to scroll down on your device to the bottom where you can edit the control functions.

Reactions: dawgpilot
You can change it but I think it's best to just accept the learning curve and go with the standard. I've been pushing down to go down for nearly sixty years but you pull power to go down and push to go up so just give it time..if nothing else you'll become fast at correcting a mistake.

The left stick acts like the collective lever on a helicopter. Lifting the stick is like lifting the collective lever, you gain altitude. But if you fly fixed wing (RC or otherwise) and have "pull up" in your muscle memory, I say customize the controls and make it work the way you're trained. For safety, probably best not to have to try and keep two modes of operation in your head. Just don't let anyone else fly your drone if they're used to factory defaults. You can change it to accommodate a guest flyer, but then you'd have to change it back when you take over. And what if you forget to change it one time...

If you're referring to increasing and decreasing the altitude, then moving the stick up ascends the drone, while down descends the drone. It's normal stick behavior in the RC world for it to work that way.

You'll definitely have to retrain your brain to get used to it, I don't think there's a mod for that, but maybe someone on here with more insights can chime in.
I've spent hours trying in the custom mode menus with no joy. It only let's you swap functions of the 1,2,3 modes. Can't seem to do anything that is not already pre-programmed into one of the existing modes.

I've spent hours trying in the custom mode menus with no joy. It only let's you swap functions of the 1,2,3 modes. Can't seem to do anything that is not already pre-programmed into one of the existing modes.

In case you want to change your stick settings - this is how:

Go to Settings/Control, on that page to StickMode. To the right is Custom. Now scroll up until you see at bottom of page Change Settings. Click it. Then just drag and drop on the left stick the Arrow/up symbol down to the spot where the Arrow/down symbol is. It is flipped now. Than SAVE.
Aircraft and Controller should be connected to the FLY app all the time while changing the setting.

And then let nobody else fly with your controller...especially no one who's flown drones before.

Good luck and safe flights!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a newbie at drones, but have much flying experience.

The controller is like a regular helicopter, but up/down is backwards. In every aircraft I am aware of you push to go down, and pull to go up. It's really messing with me.

Does anyone know of a fix/patch/hack to correct this issue?

Thanks,
Jeffro15
I don't know all of the heli's I have flown up on the left stick which is " collective" for the Heli world would be up.....and down on that stick would be down .....the only reason why it would be backwards as if you were in idle up 2 mode and upside down ?.... I know there are other modes but the standard mode that everyone fly in America is mode 2 you might try mode 1? Fiddle around with the modes but be careful

In case you want to change your stick settings - this is how:

Go to Settings/Control, on that page to StickMode. To the right is Custom. Now scroll up until you see at bottom of page Change Settings. Click it. Then just drag and drop on the left stick the Arrow/up symbol down to the spot where the Arrow/down symbol is. It is flipped now. Than SAVE.
Aircraft and Controller should be connected to the FLY app all the time while changing the setting.

And then let nobody else fly with your controller...especially no one who's flown drones before.

Good luck and safe flights!
Doesn't work. As soon as you lift your finger it returns to standard.

Doesn't work. As soon as you lift your finger it returns to standard.

It only works without jumping back when everything is switched on and connected.
Did it right now again - setting is changed and saved.
iPhone 8, iOS 13.6, FlyApp and DJI firmware all latest here.

At first when I tried I could drag but the arrow did not replace the other one. I did it slower then and then it worked.

Give it another try!
Maybe try another phone or iPad. The setting will be stored in the controller anyway (as you can fly the bird even without the FlyApp)

top image like you want it to work (as I understood)
2. image how I fly (mode 2, default for custom setting change)

EDIT: Sorry for these oversized images... will do it better next time!

IMG_1632.JPGIMG_1635.JPG

I'm using an lg g6 thinq, running Android 8.0.0.

All dji firmware is up to date.

My current aircraft is a compact helicopter where the collective stick is kind of short, and the pull is almost as much back as it is up to ascend.

With this and much fixed wing time, I'd really like the control to match the aircraft I'm used to.

Have tried all suggestions so far with no positive results.

Really appreciate all the help. If you've actually gotten the left stick to reverse ascend/descend please let me know your system details.

Thanks jeffro15

Unfortunately, I think that the only way to get anywhere near the fixed-wing experience with a drone would be to buy one that you can control with a classical RC and use a control stick mix when you wish.

But that's really defeating the idea of a drone isn't it?

You just have to modify your stick mindset.

I'm using an lg g6 thinq, running Android 8.0.0.

All dji firmware is up to date.

My current aircraft is a compact helicopter where the collective stick is kind of short, and the pull is almost as much back as it is up to ascend.

With this and much fixed wing time, I'd really like the control to match the aircraft I'm used to.

Have tried all suggestions so far with no positive results.

Really appreciate all the help. If you've actually gotten the left stick to reverse ascend/descend please let me know your system details.

Thanks jeffro15

I am sorry to hear that I could not be of any help regarding your question.

What I think: If it is not a bug in the Android version of the Fly App maybe someone could reverse Ascend and Descend on the left stick just for a test and let us know?

Another thought:
Why not handling it like a foreign language you have to learn or driving a car in a country with left side driving and right wheel steering?
When you've gotten used to it a huge advantage would be that you can fly _any_ drone, i.e. the one of a friend or testing a new one before buying...

Just my 2 cents

I am sorry to hear that I could not be of any help regarding your question.

What I think: If it is not a bug in the Android version of the Fly App maybe someone could reverse Ascend and Descend on the left stick just for a test and let us know?

Another thought:
Why not handling it like a foreign language you have to learn or driving a car in a country with left side driving and right wheel steering?
When you've gotten used to it a huge advantage would be that you can fly _any_ drone, i.e. the one of a friend or testing a new one before buying...

Just my 2 cents
I was able to use a friend's iPhone to reverse the left stick, and it stayed when I switched back to Android. Yippee, I'm flying a helicopter!

I was able to use a friend's iPhone to reverse the left stick, and it stayed when I switched back to Android. Yippee, I'm flying a helicopter!
Jeffro, one thing...

Yesterday I've tried in a remote area your left stick/switched idea for a full battery flight... I was extremely careful though...
I must admit: To me it feels much more natural the way you do it. Pull means: bring the bird up! Push: bring it down.
Maybe it is because I did a lot of flights sitting next to a helicopter pilot when I worked as a cameraman watching him pulling the stick between the seats up. Or in a Cessna when the pilot pulls the stick to get airborne.
OTH: I stay with the standard setting because I am quite used to it now and the bird is doing what I want.
Just wanted to tell you...
Have always save flights!!

Interesting, as a few months ago you could not invert the sticks for up and down. I read countless threads to DJI with complaints but no fix. I like pulling back to go up from my flight simulator days. I'll have to try and make this change as I still sometimes pull back instinctively to go up.

Interesting, as a few months ago you could not invert the sticks for up and down. I read countless threads to DJI with complaints but no fix. I like pulling back to go up from my flight simulator days. I'll have to try and make this change as I still sometimes pull back instinctively to go up.
It doesn't work with Android phone, but if a friend has an iPhone and will let you borrow it for 20-30 minutes, you can load the iOS app.

Then you have to log into your dji account and make the change.

I used an iPhone 8, running iOS 15.8. Good luck.

It doesn't work with Android phone, but if a friend has an iPhone and will let you borrow it for 20-30 minutes, you can load the iOS app.

Then you have to log into your dji account and make the change.

I used an iPhone 8, running iOS 15.8. Good luck.
Good find!!! Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15