DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s AirSense

ANT0407

Reactions
I was just flying in my yard, max hight of 50 feet just playing around. I heard a single prop plane,looked up and saw it. It never showed on the Fly app. I guess I'm wondering how it works. Does it only notify you if it is in a certain radius? Or hight? My old M2 zoom, didn't have AirSense so I'm new to this. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was just flying in my yard, max hight of 50 feet just playing around. I heard a single prop plane,looked up and saw it. It never showed on the Fly app. I guess I'm wondering how it works. Does it only notify you if it is in a certain radius? Or hight? My old M2 zoom, didn't have AirSense so I'm new to this. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
There are quite a few planes and helicopters that do not have the Air Sense installed yet so that is hit or miss. Most of the bigger planes do have it as well as helicopters.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: CLAYB.7
Specifically, for a plane to show up in DJI's Air Sense it must have ADS-B out. That is it must be broadcasting a signal that the drone can interpret. It is required for all crewed aircraft operating in Class A, B or C airspace (and a few others). So if you are near a busy commercial airport (Boston, New York Metro, LAX, etc) Airsense will be pretty reliable. in rural areas, less so. And of course even where it is more reliable you are still responsible for collision avoidance through VLOS.
For more background on ADS-B: ADS-B

Specifically, for a plane to show up in DJI's Air Sense it must have ADS-B out. That is it must be broadcasting a signal that the drone can interpret. It is required for all crewed aircraft operating in Class A, B or C airspace (and a few others). So if you are near a busy commercial airport (Boston, New York Metro, LAX, etc) Airsense will be pretty reliable. in rural areas, less so. And of course even where it is more reliable you are still responsible for collision avoidance through VLOS.
For more background on ADS-B: ADS-B
I realize that, and always fly VLOS. I was just curious why it didn't show the plane. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I live in a rural area and well into class G airspace and considerably less than 50% of the smaller planes broadcast ADS-B.

I live in Houston metropolitan area and my Air Sense works great. It's so cool to get warnings from aircraft all over the area. When alerted, I look and then immediately drop down until I can get a visual on the actual aircraft. It's one of the reasons I bought the Air 2S.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I live in Houston metropolitan area and my Air Sense works great. It's so cool to get warnings from aircraft all over the area. When alerted, I look and then immediately drop down until I can get a visual on the actual aircraft. It's one of the reasons I bought the Air 2S.
That was a big part of my selecting the 2s as well.

I am a certified private pilot and I own a Cessna 150. I am certified with Cessna 152s and 172s. Most small airplanes do not have the ADS-B system. What we have are transponders. Anyway, if we fly below 500 feet AGL, we should be ok since most fixed wing aircraft do not fly below 500 feet AGL unless they are taking off or landing.

Helicopters are a different matter since they fly below 500 feet AGL. Most of the time, I carry an aeronautical radio transceiver tuned in to the frequency where I am operating the drone or to the CTAF and I just issue a traffic advisory saying that I am a ground station operating a drone at say 250 feet AGL in that area whenever I hear a plane or a helicopter nearby. Pilots appreciate this common courtesy.

Hope this helps. Safe flights.

I am a certified private pilot and I own a Cessna 150. I am certified with Cessna 152s and 172s. Most small airplanes do not have the ADS-B system. What we have are transponders. Anyway, if we fly below 500 feet AGL, we should be ok since most fixed wing aircraft do not fly below 500 feet AGL unless they are taking off or landing.

Helicopters are a different matter since they fly below 500 feet AGL. Most of the time, I carry an aeronautical radio transceiver tuned in to the frequency where I am operating the drone or to the CTAF and I just issue a traffic advisory saying that I am a ground station operating a drone at say 250 feet AGL in that area whenever I hear a plane or a helicopter nearby. Pilots appreciate this common courtesy.

In my area of Houston, I'd be broadcasting all day! ;)

Reactions: frcaloy and CLAYB.7
Double check to make sure the Airsense switch hasn't been inadvertently turned off. If my mind serves me correctly...
Safety tab. Advanced Safety tab. Airsense on/off switch. Just a thought.
That's what I was going to suggest that to make double sure that it was switched ON Brother and God Bless You ✝️ Sincerely Clay B.

I live in a rural area and well into class G airspace and considerably less than 50% of the smaller planes broadcast ADS-B.
HELLO 👋 my Brother D I hope that all is well with you Brother and I really can't Thank You enough Brother for your help with steering me into the right direction to buying my "AWESOME"!!! DJI-MAVIC-AIR-2 I am truly enjoying flying it man and I really hope you are doing the same thing with your new MAVIC MINI 2 God Bless You Brother ✝️ Sincerely Clay B.

Reactions: Dbez1
Does anyone know if AirSense will work with everything powered up, but with the drone sitting idle awaiting takeoff?

Also, is there any information published regarding the different related warning messages, and what specific conditions trigger each?

Manned aircraft detected nearby. Fly with caution (Code: 30179)
Manned aircraft approaching. Fly at a safe altitude (Code: 30180)
Manned aircraft too close. Fly at a safe altitude (Code: 30181)

In my experience, these seem to be in escalating order, but will still activate even if the drone is under 50' AGL, and well below other trees and structures in the area.

If thought I heard, which means I don't know anything, that the aircraft radio is licensed to the aircraft and not the pilot therefore drone pilots are not licensed to broadcast on aircraft radios. Please correct me.

If thought I heard, which means I don't know anything, that the aircraft radio is licensed to the aircraft and not the pilot therefore drone pilots are not licensed to broadcast on aircraft radios. Please correct me.

I'm not sure about the first part of your statement, but my understanding is the same as yours in that UAS pilots should never be transmitting on aviation frequencies.

This thread discusses the issue further.

Reactions: mavictk
I usually carry a portable transceiver whenever I fly small aircraft in case the airplane transceivers malfunction, and it has happened to me twice. On the ground, I do radio checks on the portable transceiver and the tower usually responds. I just say 'ground station to tower, radio check'. Tower would usually respond usually saying 'tower to ground station, read you 5 by 5'.

Whenever I hear small aircraft approaching my position which is nowhere near airports, I would just broadcast 'ground station, (my location), operating drone at 400 feet AGL'. I think this is good practice because if I were a pilot flying in that area, I would appreciate traffic advisories especially on CTAFs.

I routinely broadcast my position on CTAFs whenever I fly in between stations.

I have a radio certificate and my transceiver is also certified.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy