DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s is blurry on take off and how do you turn off ....

VegasDronePilot

Las Vegas Realtor and Section 107 Certified Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone....when I take off I noticed for a few seconds the video is blurry and then it's in focus....also how do you turn off the camera looking down when landing and returning home? It's annoying to me.... thanks!

Hi everyone....when I take off I noticed for a few seconds the video is blurry and then it's in focus....also how do you turn off the camera looking down when landing and returning home? It's annoying to me.... thanks!
Would need to see some video as its not clear as to what your describing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Do you by chance have it on Manual Focus? You'd see "MF" instead of "AF" near the record button. Only thing that sticks out without more context or an example.

Don't recall any setting to change for auto gimbal down for RTH. I prefer to land manually so haven't really thought much of it.

Depending on how you are watching the video, some streams from YouTube and others start with a very low resolution stream, and switch to a much higher version when the connection is good.

Do you by chance have it on Manual Focus? You'd see "MF" instead of "AF" near the record button. Only thing that sticks out without more context or an example.

Don't recall any setting to change for auto gimbal down for RTH. I prefer to land manually so haven't really thought much of it.
Hi, thanks for your reply...It's in AF mode, but it seems to go away quick so I can just edit it out. As for the landing with the gimble facing downward, I have an Air 2 and it doesn't do that at all.... just weird that I cannot figure out how to stop that from doing it everytime.... just more editing I guess.

I wonder if the focus issue could be one or more props out of balance at a certain rpm. Until they get above or below that rpm you get a vibration that looks to be out of focus. Once they're up to speed the vibration goes away or down to a level that doesn't bother. Maybe check props for any possible damage or try another set. Just a thought.

I wonder if the focus issue could be one or more props out of balance at a certain rpm. Until they get above or below that rpm you get a vibration that looks to be out of focus. Once they're up to speed the vibration goes away or down to a level that doesn't bother. Maybe check props for any possible damage or try another set. Just a thought.
Hi, aircraft is brand new. pros are fine, I always inspet everything before a flight. It's weird, it only lasts a few seconds and then it's crystal clear. Not a huge problem since I can edit it out but I like posting my take off's in all of my videos...

I've only been flying for a few months and I have never landed manually before. I guess there's a first time for everything....
It’s better to master flying in manual for RTH than relying on the Auto RTH .
Landing is easy in manual just bring it back to your take off spot, pull left stick back and down it comes, keep stick back and motors turn off.
Auto RTH should only really be used as a back up.
It’s good to have but if it’s messing with your videos then it’s not necessary.

The autofocus thing - it focuses on close up things at first, as typically it sees the ground and close by things first, and focuses on them. As you take off and gain altitude, it takes a second or several for it to realize it needs to refocus. Once you have any altitude, it tends to stay in it's "infinity" focus as almost everything is going to be more than 25 feet away. If you want to avoid that initial change, take a short pre-flight, put it in manual focus mode, get your distance focus set, then land and relaunch.

That flip down the camera does on landing - it does that even in manual mode (with the Air 2S) once you get to a low enough altitude. It's pretty annoying, and I don't know how to change it either - nothing in the settings about that. You CAN hand catch the drone when it's at 3-5 feet above ground and it won't do it.

Personally after flying several years I find the take off and landing footage from the drone to be really boring, and edit that stuff out anyway - that would solve your problems!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
As mentioned, that "blurry then clear" is the autofocus (AF) doing its job as you get farther away from the ground/take-off point and the distance from the lens changes.
It will also do that when it stops moving (going from moving to a hover for instance) if there is a great difference between the camera and objects. I am surprised you don't see that?
Since your example video clip has no "pauses" in the movement, you might not notice that AF operation unless that is the blurring when turning you mentioned?
For that particular clip/flight, you might wanna try manual focus (MF) and use the "focus peaking" feature to see what is actually in focus. Most of that particular flight would have been properly focused at "infinity" anyway.
A lot of users don't use AF for that particular reason, to keep any "focus hunting" out of a video.
If you only are bothered by it at the very beginning, just either wait to start the video until up and away from that point or clip that part out?

I personally love that the camera tilts down when landing if using RTH. RTH is normally just used for failsafe if it gets lost (out of view), dis-connected, low battery, etc so having that view of where it's landing and if still OK to land is a good feature.
Best to get in the habit of manually landing anyway.
Again, just either stop the recording at that point (when the camera pitches down) or just clip/edit it out?

Last edited:
Make sure to tap the middle of your display to engage the autofocus before taking off :)

I've only been flying for a few months and I have never landed manually before. I guess there's a first time for everything....
Wow. I'd suggest spending some time right away to get comfortable with flying the drone home and landing manually. Same for takeoffs and departures. Sooner or later, you're going to need those skills when something goes wrong. And in the mean time, you'll be flying more confidently and calmly knowing that you're in control and not at the mercy of an automated system. (Be sure you know how to abort auto RTHs and landings.)

Start with simple takeoffs, fly up 10 feet or so, and then land. Progress as you feel comfortable. As @Vic Moss suggests, keep the drone pointed directly away from you for ease of control and safety. It looks like you're already flying the drone comfortably. You'll pick up the manual RTH and landing quickly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada