DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S Suddenly Not Responding

dj3183

Reactions
I was flying my Air 2S the other day at an altitude of about 30 feet and a distance away of about 30 yards away when, all of sudden, I had problems controlling it. I was finally able to bring it down and hand catch it. When I rotated it over to turn the rotors off, they continued to run. It wasn’t until I walked back to near the takeoff point that I was able to get the rotors to stop by flipping it over. Does anyone have any idea why this would have happened? I understand drones can lose contact sometimes with the controller, but why wouldn’t it have stopped the rotors when turning it upside down?

Inverting is not guanateed to stop the motors, personally I think there is a better chance if it is tilted so that the props are spinning in a vertical plane but even then I do not know if is guaranteed. Obviously it had to pass through the vertical plane to reach inverted.
Did you try holding the drone still and and holding the throttle closed?
Do you know of the use of the CSC stick position? But again, whether or not that will work, if set to the default setting, is questionable, it must be set to "Anytime" to be guaranteed to stop the motors a the associated delay, probably around 1.7seconds, is FAR TOO SHORT, IMO, for it to be left as the routine setting. Drones have been lost due to that happening and the pilot inadvertently putting the sticks in that position for the 'qualifying' time.

With regards to what happened, if you go to the page
and read the instructions there you should be able to retrieve the flight log for the flight. If so upload the log to that page and post the resulting URL here.
Some one might look at the log for you.

Reactions: Chris4koi
Thank you. I will try to to figure out how to download the flight log. In terms of stopping it using the sticks. It’s next to impossible to do when you’re holding on to the drone with one hand while the props are spinning. But, again, I will look into how to download the flight log. Never done that.

Using the CSC 'single handed' would be difficult ... especially if one was justifiably in a bit of a 'flap' but I use the CSC to start a drone's motors which means doing it single handedly when hand launching.
Since starting the motors via the CSC can be done at your leisure, the motors spin up to idle rather than flying speed, it might be a way of practicing a single handed CSC.

Just holding the drone still and holding the throttle closed is not difficult, I do it all the time, I just realised that that is perhaps why I reflexively launch and catch from/with my right hand.

With regards to finding and uploading logs to PhantomHelp, I copy or move the logs to computer and then upload them to PhantomHelp from the computer, you might find that easier than uploading them straight from the phone or, if you are using a 'smart controller', the controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: dj3183
Were you signed into your DJI account or flying as a guest ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and Experience our Control Pod Covers.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and Experience our Control Pod Covers.
Uum providing there are no warnings that require a response from the pilot I would be surprised if the Air 2s can not be flown (with restrictions) without a phone even connected to std controller.
Warnings permitting, I can fly all my DJI drones with out a phone connected .... though I don't normally do that as it means I lose the logs for that flight/switch-on.

Phantomrain.org
It’s interesting that you mention that. When I finally was able to control the drone, I looked down at my iPad and it said to sign in. I’ve never had to do that before, or at least since I started using the app. Do you think that could’ve caused my issue?

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Were you checking your iPad for things like satellites, battery charge, etc before you took off? Did the iPad shut down on its own or did the holder trigger the off button? Just throwing some ideas out there for thought.

Were you checking your iPad for things like satellites, battery charge, etc before you took off? Did the iPad shut down on its own or did the holder trigger the off button? Just throwing some ideas out there for thought.
Thanks. Yes, satellites were fine, batteries were fully charged, and my iPad never shut down. As I mentioned, once I was able to grab the drone, I looked down at my iPad, and it said something about signing in, which I have never had to do since initially loading the app.

Reactions: Dbez1
It’s interesting that you mention that. When I finally was able to control the drone, I looked down at my iPad and it said to sign in. I’ve never had to do that before, or at least since I started using the app. Do you think that could’ve caused my issue?
Did your iPad have an update? That may have signed you out of any background programs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu