DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s, too "Satellite hungry"?

I said: Any drone will have problems with GPS if you fly where much of the sky is blocked by obstacles.
And your response ....
No will not.

I compare this one to MP. Flying in the same conditions. Why everyone tries to explain what is obvious for me. I know how a gps works and i know what causes losing it.
Having read so much of what you've said about GPS like the example above, I find that difficult to believe.

You have the freedom to believe whatever you want. There was another guy that desvribed the same drone behaviour that i am facing. So i don.t mind if you do not believe it. I say it again: the same valley were i have flown my MP 100 times: Air 2s takes more time to lock its position. Air 2s locks at >12 satellites. Mp at >8/9. Flying high its ok, when flying low, Air 2s drops the no of locked satellites to 10 => a NO POSITIONING warning. MP drops to 7 locked satellites => all is green, positioning locked, no warning whatsoever.
But its me, i do not know how a positioning system works ?, despite using gps devices for 15 yrs and hiking on unmarked trails guided only by google maps

You have the freedom to believe whatever you want. There was another guy that desvribed the same drone behaviour that i am facing. So i don.t mind if you do not believe it. I say it again: the same valley were i have flown my MP 100 times: Air 2s takes more time to lock its position. Air 2s locks at >12 satellites. Mp at >8/9. Flying high its ok, when flying low, Air 2s drops the no of locked satellites to 10 => a NO POSITIONING warning. MP drops to 7 locked satellites => all is green, positioning locked, no warning whatsoever.
But its me, i do not know how a positioning system works ?, despite using gps devices for 15 yrs and hiking on unmarked trails guided only by google maps
I've attempted to explain that to you multiple times.
I guess it's impossible.

I guess so ?. But anyway, thx for trying. For me, i do not care why it behaves how it behaves though. Because a higher end product with better features should not behave worse than its predecessor. If that.s the case, they should have gone back to the old solution, that clearly works better
I am.still hoping that they will improve the functionality with a software update.

Reactions: maggior
Ok there is an issue with the Air 2 s in the slow speed it takes to be ready to fly ie. GPS locked.i just did a test outside full view blue sky no obstacles. until it acquired 12 satellites no GPS lock, it took 1 minute 53 seconds for this from power on. no biggie really but i noticed this as i was waiting to capture something that was approaching the other day and missed it as the Air 2 s did not acquire the GPS lock fast enough so today i timed it .its way slower at this than my last 2, Air 2 aircraft.it will not give a GPS lock until it grabs 12 satellites im not sure is this is intentional for accuracy maybe ?. i don't know how many the Air 2 needed to fly with GPS lock maybe someone on here has one still to test side by side.

Last edited:
@ninja_geezer yesterday i have tracked myself in the forest with no positioning :))). Despite the fact that the drone warned me all the trip that it has no lock positioning, because of the lower camera system for accurate landing it behaved pretty well on following me. When flying at a low altitudine, i see that i do not need gps. But it.s a risk, because if the RC loses conection to the bird, i guess that having no position lock will make the drone land where it is. And that.s creepy when flying low over a river :))

@ninja_geezer yesterday i have tracked myself in the forest with no positioning :))). Despite the fact that the drone warned me all the trip that it has no lock positioning, because of the lower camera system for accurate landing it behaved pretty well on following me. When flying at a low altitudine, i see that i do not need gps. But it.s a risk, because if the RC loses conection to the bird, i guess that having no position lock will make the drone land where it is. And that.s creepy when flying low over a river :))
yes but if you take off before if grabs the magic 12 needed you can only fly at a restricted altitude as well.i guess we are too impatient,like i said not normally an issue but the situation i was in the other day highlighted the slow issue and i missed what i was trying to capture.

Reactions: pilifida
I have just updated to the new firmware i will test it to see if its made any difference shortly.

ok firmware updated ,outside in the open took at least 3 mins to get lock and only when it got 12 !! very slow.

Ive noticed the same issue in Sydney.

I tend to send it out unlocked but with visual. It eventually locks on though at that point I hear the home point has been locked...which makes me wonder whether "home" is now 50 meters above Sydney harbour...

Ive noticed the same issue in Sydney.

I tend to send it out unlocked but with visual. It eventually locks on though at that point I hear the home point has been locked...which makes me wonder whether "home" is now 50 meters above Sydney harbour...
yes i would be careful sending it before it locks GPS to be honest. surely DJI can sort this with a firmware update my air 2 was very very fast and did not need 12 satellites. :confused:

it will not give a GPS lock until it grabs 12 satellites im not sure is this is intentional for accuracy maybe ?. i don't know how many the Air 2 needed to fly with GPS lock maybe someone on here has one still to test side by side.
Any regular handheld GPS unit needs a minimum of 4 satellites to get a good 3D location fix.
In practice, it may take one or two more to get good satellite geometry.
For greater security, DJI go a little further and require a minimum of 6 sats before the drone goes to P-GPS mode, but because of satellite geometry it might take a slightly higher number.

There's no additional accuracy to be gained from more sats and more accuracy isn't needed.
The old GPS-only drones worked just fine before Glonass and Galileo sats were available.

Any regular handheld GPS unit needs a minimum of 4 satellites to get a good 3D location fix.
For greater security, DJI go a little further and require a minimum of 6 sats before the drone goes to P-GPS mode, but because of satellite geometry it might take a slightly higher number.

There's no additional accuracy to be gained from more sats and more accuracy isn't needed.
The old GPS-only drones worked just fine before Glonass and Galileo sats were available.
im wondering why we only get a GPS at 12 satellites on the new air 2 s ?

It's a non-issue for me. I got to a location today and spotted a freighter in the water nearby and wanted to get a shot of it. With my MA2 I knew I would get a rock solid satellite count by the time I got to the waterfront from where I parked if I walked briskly. About 45 seconds for the first flight of the day. Today was my first time with the A2S there and I had no idea if I'd get it up in the air in time but from past experiences I was pretty sure I would. Parking in the same spot as usual, I made it to my launch point and got satellite lock in the same amount of time. By the time I was at the water's edge I was ready to fly and I didn't miss my shot. In the real world there's not much, if any, difference for me to get the bird locked in and ready for flight.

I've read this entire thread several times. It is not about how the gps system works. It is about how long it takes the Air 2s to get a gps lock so you're able to fly. I did a test with my drones at the same location and time and a cold start. My Mavic Pro took 45 seconds to get a gps lock from a cold start. I then put my Mini 2 at same location and from a cold start it took 33 seconds to get a gps lock. I then put my Air 2 at the same location and from a cold start it took 20 seconds to get a gps lock. I then put my Air 2s at the same location and from a cold start it took 3 minutes and 10 seconds to get a gps lock. All the drones kept the gps lock once it gained it, but the Air 2s. It lost the gps lock on and off up to about 4 minutes. After that, it never lost the gps lock again. So yes, the Air 2s is different. It has nothing to do with how satellites work. This was all done at same location and within 12 minutes of each other and all from a cold start.

@Bobsing ty for again stating clear what happens for the pseudo-tech guys that clearly do not understand the problem

As previous stated, i cand cope with the longer times for pos-lock, but i am angry when after a proper lock, i will lose it in the next minutes...

That meta guy keeps on explaining how the dji pos system needs 6 sats for a lock, and how n00b i am.for explaining that i do not have a lock with 10 satelites connected , while indeed, the ol' MP needed about 6-7-8[?] sats to keep a lock

As previous stated, i cand cope with the longer times for pos-lock, but i am angry when after a proper lock, i will lose it in the next minutes...
After about 4 minutes, mine stays locked and if I land and fly within 15 minutes of the first flight, it immediately gets a gps lock and never loses it. It’s only the initial cold start. It definitely takes a lot longer than my other drones. I’ve gotten where I just sit for about 4 minutes while it’s going in and out before taking off on the first cold start of the day. Other than that, drone is great.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming