DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s, too "Satellite hungry"?

The best try is to lower the drone near a forest or a canyon/cliff, and see how the drone reacrs when the locked onnsat no. drops under 12. If you lock on to "only" 10 sat. then, will you get that "no gps message"?

The best try is to lower the drone near a forest or a canyon/cliff, and see how the drone reacrs when the locked onnsat no. drops under 12. If you lock on to "only" 10 sat. then, will you get that "no gps message"?
very flat where i live on the north east coast of the UK.....

Reactions: pilifida
So i did a quick test just now to show off the ORCA Wet Suit and the Start up time , and to see if I could land and keep the props running also . I was up with 18 Sats in less than a minute with the Home updated on forced take off.

No nothing is in focus but AIR 2S shines bright.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2/S in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Last edited:
You're really confused about how satellite numbers work.
Your example of having 12 sats locked for the Air 2S, would roughly equate to only 8 sats with other drones that use GPS + Glonass.

All you need is 6
But they must be spread over enough sky to provide the right geometry to give good location data.

If you restrict the drone's skyview, so that only a part of the sky is visible, it won't matter if your drone has 36 sats.
If they are all bunched up in a small area, you may as well only have three sats.

Having more sats available will never make up for reducing the amount of sky visible.

Last edited:
Maybe there’s a possibility that some batch of Air 2s units came out of the factory with a bug/problem with the GPS acquisition system, since more than one user reported such problem in acquiring GPS satellites, while others found their Air 2s' to perform as well as the Air 2 in getting a quick GPS lock.

Maybe there’s a possibility that some batch of Air 2s units came out of the factory with a bug/problem with the GPS acquisition system, since more than one user reported such problem in acquiring GPS satellites, while others found their Air 2s' to perform as well as the Air 2 in getting a quick GPS lock.
The fact that it spends more time locking does not bother me so misch. The fact that it loses its positioning mid flight is what annoys me.

The fact that it spends more time locking does not bother me so misch. The fact that it loses its positioning mid flight is what annoys me.
Couple things you can try:

Change the Transmission settings to Smooth rather than HD
Fly and record the Screen with the Transmission window open so you can see the signal box , the lower the bar the better.
Make sure you reading the true number of Sats as they are small and easily miss read.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2S in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Couple things you can try:

Change the Transmission settings to Smooth rather than HD
Fly and record the Screen with the Transmission window open so you can see the signal box , the lower the bar the better.
Like so many other aspects of drone flying, the recorded flight data is the place to look to see what's going one.
It will show lots more than any screen video will.

Like so many other aspects of drone flying, the recorded flight data is the place to look to see what's going one.
It will show lots more than any screen video will.

I do agree with that 100 % but for the / Beginner / Pilots to have a better understanding rather than just the experts this is a good start for them to watch the transmission window when flying. So they can see the difference between having the signal working for them as to just the number of satellites in the sky.

Last edited:
Sorry but it.s not about the signal. The problem is the gps lock. That transmission is another thing between the rc and bird. We are talking about the things happenning between the bird and the satellites

Reactions: Sjkieffer
Sorry but it.s not about the signal. The problem is the gps lock. That transmission is another thing between the rc and bird. We are talking about the things happenning between the bird and the satellites

Definitely upload the Data log and let Meta 4 crack that open for you and get to the bottom or your problem as i have never seen that issue myself.

Reactions: maggior
Ok. I know it has been asked 100000x times but please dltell me the procedure as i will upload it now

ok i now realise that the Air 2s does take at least twice as long to lock on to gps .
i dont know why it just takes a fair while,i reckon about 2 minutes.

And try to fly in challenging environment. It wllill.lose it tenth as fast :))

its still better to fly than my air 2 was though.... :p

Yeah but it.s not alot better than my MP1. And i can guess it.s lacking behind MP2. Not how everyone said it woll replace it.
But, on the other hand, today i tested active track while cycling in a forest and it performed quite good :)

And try to fly in challenging environment. It wllill.lose it tenth as fast :))
Any drone will have problems with GPS if you fly where much of the sky is blocked by obstacles.
If you want the benefits of GPS, you need to have at least half of the sky visible.

Any drone will have problems with GPS if you fly where much of the sky is blocked by obstacles.
If you want the benefits of GPS, you need to have at least half of the sky visible.
No will not. I compare this one to MP. Flying in the same conditions. Why everyone tries to explain what is obvious for me. I know how a gps works and i know what causes losing it. But here is NOT the case

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi