DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Air 2S with a 360 camera for B-Roll

For someone not in the know, what is Link and how do you achieve 360 degree photos with a drone - or did I misunderstand and it was NOT taken with a drone but appears as such? Thanks.

What is B-Roll footage?

I think I see where you are switching between the 360 and drone for comparison (or I think I can) but did you attach the 360 to your drone to get it up the same height, or am I missing something.

Reactions: Manuforti
I think I see where you are switching between the 360 and drone for comparison (or I think I can) but did you attach the 360 to your drone to get it up the same height, or am I missing something.
You can attach the 360 camera to the drone but as a mechanical engineer I advise against it. It taxes the prop motors and puts additional stress on the air frame. It also changes the handling characteristics.

For someone not in the know, what is Link and how do you achieve 360 degree photos with a drone - or did I misunderstand and it was NOT taken with a drone but appears as such? Thanks.
No I meant that 360 cameras with the software that erases the selfie stick often look like the footage from a low flying drone flying around the cameraman.

Reactions: Crash Gibby
You can attach the 360 camera to the drone but as a mechanical engineer I advise against it. It taxes the prop motors and puts additional stress on the air frame. It also changes the handling characteristics.

As a mechanical engineer myself, I'm curious about your concerns. I've cautiously flown the Air 2S several times with an Insta360 camera suspended below it and observed no problems in very slow flight. I've been extremely cautious about control inputs and haven't ventured more than 100' out so far. In additional to loading, my major concerns were the possibility of a harmonic issue or a control feedback loop caused by the weight and moment arm.

The added camera certainly changes the handling characteristics, but I'd never anticipate flying in Sport mode, at high speeds, or with abrupt control inputs. So, it's not intuitive to me that there would be motor overloading or airframe overstressing. Have you experienced problems with an add-on camera or heard reports of actual problems?

Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpknight